Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing the "Slide to Unlock" Text

Quote Originally Posted by kutrackkid View Post
    i cant seem to figure out how to save the editied file back to .strings it always shows it as being .strings.plist

any help would be awesome!!!
    rename it to .strings ?? try it but keep a backup!

Thanks

This file worked fine for renaming the slide to unlock text and some other text bits.

But after using it for a little while and getting texts i found the pop up said SMS_CLOSE and SMS_REPLY instead of Close and Reply.
    I also found the same for my iPod double click pop up said CLOSE and IPOD

I looked in the SpringBoard.strings and couldnt find any key strings labeled them so im not sure.

Is there any reason for this? and how can i fix it.

For now ive gone back to using the original back up, but i would like custom text if its possible.

Thanks

yeah.. i have the same error/bug with the downloaded editable file.. instead of the usual CLOSE and REPLY it gives out SMS_CLOSE and SMS_REPLY.

is this a mini bug? i have firmware 1.1.4. hope someone can help. i like changing my slide to unlock text but not the extent of having text bugs. thanks!

keep up the good work ModMyI!

is this method still working on 2.0.1?
    EDIT: Yes it does, just did mine
    Last edited by DoubleD; 08-16-2008 at 04:37 PM.
    Always remember that you are unique....just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by MP_luspo View Post
    yeah.. i have the same error/bug with the downloaded editable file.. instead of the usual CLOSE and REPLY it gives out SMS_CLOSE and SMS_REPLY.

is this a mini bug? i have firmware 1.1.4. hope someone can help. i like changing my slide to unlock text but not the extent of having text bugs. thanks!

keep up the good work ModMyI!
    I had the same problem.

The solution is:

Edit: /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/SpringBoard.strings

Find/Add

Code:
        <key>SMS_CLOSE</key>
        <string>Close</string>
    and
       <key>SMS_REPLY</key>
       <string>Reply</string>
    Or Just use customize - Go to Edit System Strings -> Springboard (English/urlang) and click "revert to backup"

Hope it helps...
    Last edited by madrapper02; 09-26-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madrapper02 View Post
    I had the same problem.

The solution is:

Edit: /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/SpringBoard.strings

Find/Add

Code:
        <key>SMS_CLOSE</key>
        <string>Close</string>
    and
       <key>SMS_REPLY</key>
       <string>Reply</string>
    Or Just use customize - Go to Edit System Strings -> Springboard (English/urlang) and click "revert to backup"

Hope it helps...
    The "revert to backup" didn't help me with the problem, but I added the xml code to the strings file and now it works fine. Thanks for the fix!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The way that i changed my slide text is by customize and then (springboard english)..then scroll down to unlock then jus put whatever i want...

A quick tip for you guys on windows (and probably mac). The renamed file SpringBoard.plist can be easily edited with Dreamweaver and then saved as the renamed SpringBoard.strings. Works like a charm and the formatting is the familiar XML standard

I would ban you if I was a mod for bumping a 3 month old thread. ::sigh::

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFTW View Post
    Here you go:

link.
    That worked a treat!
    Thank you very much.

I dont suppose anyone here knows how I alter the 'slide to unlock' text from within a certain winterboard theme do they?

e.g. I'm trying to use a theme called Buuf but where the 'slide to unlock' text normally is is the actual name of the theme 'Buuf'.

I'm just wondering if altering that text within a 'theme' is as easy as changing the 'standard' text as described in this thread?

I can see that the theme installs to library/themes - so will keep looking to see if I can work this out myself - but if in the meantime anyone knows that would be great!

I hope that makes sense

thank you

MBB

Ah - actually it was easier than I thought! thanks to the original methood in this thread.

the theme buuf actuall had it's own springboard.strings file

I edited that and wayhay! it was done!

thanks again to the quick tutorial in this thread.

MBB
    Last edited by marsbarbabe; 01-09-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i'm on a mac

when i rename it to .strings, the file type changes to a blue folder!

n i cant save directly cuz when it opens with OmniOutliner!

HELP!

I've got no idea how a mac OS works but with windows I'd just drag a copy of it to my desktop from winscp.

Right click and open with 'dreamweaver' and there it is. Alter it and put it back over the top of the original. (making a back up before changing it)

Can you drag it to your desktop (what ever mac call it) and then browse to it via dreamweaver or an equivalent program?

MBB

Quote Originally Posted by marsbarbabe View Post
    I've got no idea how a mac OS works but with windows I'd just drag a copy of it to my desktop from winscp.

Right click and open with 'dreamweaver' and there it is. Alter it and put it back over the top of the original. (making a back up before changing it)

Can you drag it to your desktop (what ever mac call it) and then browse to it via dreamweaver or an equivalent program?

MBB

ummmm, I did dragged n dropped it n all... i have no idea what's dreamweaver tho!

could u fix the one i'm attaching here n make it says "Amy James" ?

Thank u :*
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tis done!

see attached

Keep a backup of your original just in case!

MBB
    Attached Files Attached Files

15. The Following User Says Thank You to marsbarbabe For This Useful Post:

pinkiyah (01-09-2009)

WORKS PERFECTLY!

thank u!!!!

I dun install it the way u guys do..... i hate messing around with the system folder, here's how i do it:

in any Winter Board theme there is a folder that called "Bundles" if there was none, jus create one...

inside Bundles create a folder called "com.apple.springboard"

inside that folder create 2 folder "de.lproj" and "en.lproj"

i place the "SpringBoard.strings" file in both of them, restart my springboard and there ya go

Last edited by pinkiyah; 01-09-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Hmm - now I'm having some sort of problem.

I thought I'd see what the winterboard option of 'Calendar Mod by Aldwin' was BUT after I didn't like it and then turned it off - the day and date normally shown on my calendar icon on the home screen springboard was MISSING!?

I searched for a solution - which was to reinstate a backup of springboard.strings

So I did this and the date came back BUT...
    now, everytime I go to edit the 'slide to unlock' (as per the above)my date dissappears from the calendar again.

Do any of you clever boys know what's going on?

I even tried it the downloadable from this thread BUT every time I edit it the date dissappears.

Any ideas would be good.

Thank you

MBB

maybe its yer calender icon :/

The icon (red and white) is still there but it seems as though the 'interactive bit' the text within it is no longer functioning.

Weird

MBB

i'll try n google some more for ya!

thank you - I've been trying to find an answer myself but no joy yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast