Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: customize no longer changes carrier icon

Thanks

Default customize no longer changes carrier icon
    I've just spent all day working on two new themes and now noticed that Customize no longer changes my carrier icon. I am running 1.1.2 on AT&T. Before today Customize worked well for swapping the carrier icon. I was previously using an iSwitcherAE theme. Today after designing a custom lock screen and some some sliders and slider bar, I decided that the PlainJaneDim icons would work well so I installed that Summerboard theme. When I went to change to a new custom icon it did not change.
    I noticed that the default and FSO ATT icons shwed up as my old custom icon. I replaced them with stock ATT icons and Customize still would not install a custom icon. I then installed Erica's Make it Mine and changed the icon back to AT&T with it and then again tried Customize but no go.
    Can't figure out why this no longer works.
    One last thought is I was messing with my dialer and the artwork file. Dialer works great, but could that mess up the C arrier icon?
    I know I can just replace the AT&T icons but I like being able to swap icons on the fly.
    Any suggestions?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I have never gotten a custom icon to work (other than make it mine). Would love it if someone explained in detail how to get them to work
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

try this one....
    and dont foget 2 change the carrier name in the chooserview.plist file

http://limitededitioniphone.com/get-...-your-carrier/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ns-records For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I have never gotten a custom icon to work (other than make it mine). Would love it if someone explained in detail how to get them to work
    Easiest way, swap your Springboard file with this one

http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1481
    To live, you have to lie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to redcard For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Easiest way, swap your Springboard file with this one

http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1481
    is it possible that running something in Summerboard press changed my Springboard flle? Because I never manually renamed anything when i swapped the icon afte upgrading to 1.1.2. I just used Customize and was able to change csrrier on demand.
    the more I think about it I wonder if I messed something ip when I changed my dialer bar and Mobilephonepackedimages.artwork file. I had first tried to change the dialer with Customize.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

download Make it mine, write AT&T, and with customize choose your carrier icon.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bejota For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bejota View Post
    download Make it mine, write AT&T, and with customize choose your carrier icon.
    Already tried that a bunch of times before I posted and it does not work for me.

Edit:
    I think I discovered WHY this is happening, but I have no clue how to fix it. When I looked t the actual png files in Springboard.app after attempting to change carrier icon with Customize, it is moving the icon of my choice and renaming it to the t-Mobile carrier default and FSO icons. I am on ATT. Customize thinks I',m on t-Mobile it seems. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Customize but that did not change anything. Interesting since I have jailbroken phone but I never unlocked it! Also, this used to work correctly as recently as a week ago.

I found this post http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...efault+carrier
    which said to edit the chooserviews.plist. I did that using Finder but then I lose the entire setting to change carrier icon in Customize. I looked at the selectionlist.plist and it still shows the listing for carrier icon. Very strange.

Update: Solved!!!!!

I've spent way too long on this but what seems to be happening is when I reinstall the Customize add-ons, it changes my chooserviews.plist back to Tmobile as the default carrier. I've tried editing the plist and saving it to my computer and reloading to the iphone after installing customize with or without Shai's add-ons but then I lost the choice to change carrier icon.

WHAT i DID TO FIX:
    In finder I set modify file so that Owner, Group and Everyone could write and execute for the chooserview.plist. Then I edited the file to reflect ATT as default carrier. Bingo!

Wow! That only took 6 hours of my day LOL!
    Last edited by bhz1; 01-21-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

For some reason, my Customize app also refused to change the carrier image. I was using the MIM app to change it to AT&T and it would instantly change it. Now all I did to make it work again is to choose the carrier images three times before I reset the springboard --- then it works again.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mzkaye729 For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

Thanks

Wish I thought of that! I always resprung the springboard after each try. i guess after doing it three times, it realizes you really mean it!

From the posts i read it seemed like a lot of floks had this problem because they were on t-mobile ot another carrier and Customize moved the carrier icon to teh ATT default. I think I recall reading where this was going to be addressed in Customize with a new update. When i reinstalled Customize, i downloaded the files directly and installed manually and immediately upon unpacking the files on my desktop, I saw that the chooserviews.plist is pre-coded for t-mobile. I suppose most folks mod their iphone to use it on other networks, but some of us do use ATT and just enjoy the added functionality via jailbreak and 3rd party apps. For some reason that plist didnt want to stay changed until i reset permissions.

Maybe we need to have a tutorial on how to change the plist. I know the work-around is to manually install the icon , but I for one would like to set it back to a default setting when traveling overseas so I know what network i'm on. Alternatively, maybe a setting in Customize itself to set where a user want the default to go?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

I figured out what was causing mine to stop working. I installed the Customize beta add-ons and that's when I noticed it had stopped working. I uninstalled it and tried changing my carrier image and it worked. I installed it again to test it and changed my carrier image. No go. Uninstalled again and now it works again. Maybe something is conflicting between the two apps? I dont know. I have since removed the Customize beta add-ons app and my carrier image switching works flawlessly again. Weird.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mzkaye729 For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

Thanks

The beta add-ons will work if you edit the plist in Finder before editing it to reflect your default carrier. Before opening up chooserviews.plist, highlifght it in Finder and press the "modify" button. The press all of the buttons to allow write and execution for all choices shown. Then go back and open the plist file and edit the default carrier name (2 places). Save the plist and you should be good to go.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

Use Erica Saduns Make it Mine
    Set the carrier string to AT&T
    If that doesnt work try T-Mobile
    or the name of other carriers that the Iphone officially ships with.

You dont need to do any complicated stuff.I also experienced the same problem after updating customize.Just set Carrier string to T-Mobile in Erica's Make it mine.
    Last edited by Kush123; 01-26-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kush123 For This Useful Post:

csog40 (01-26-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by mzkaye729 View Post
    I figured out what was causing mine to stop working. I installed the Customize beta add-ons and that's when I noticed it had stopped working. I uninstalled it and tried changing my carrier image and it worked. I installed it again to test it and changed my carrier image. No go. Uninstalled again and now it works again. Maybe something is conflicting between the two apps? I dont know. I have since removed the Customize beta add-ons app and my carrier image switching works flawlessly again. Weird.
    i tried unistalling all the beta add ons, but it doesnt work. there all still there even after restarting the phone. installer tells me that its uninstalled, yet its still there and i still cannot change my carrier logo even with MIM. any ideas. i guess those beta add ons should have been tested more thoroughly.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Ok guys its all my fault .... Whenever I added the stuff to customize I made it so the carrier will work with my mobile (tmobile) --- but the new update will fix this,I have allready updated the choosers & added some new add ons.
    look for the new update in new skins section

There are 2 different choosers in the update 1 for tmobile and one for at&t and all other carriers..

Hope this helps

Look for customize add ons 1.1.3 in new skins

The new beta add ons will be avilable through installer this coming friday...
    Last edited by jayc7176; 01-27-2008 at 05:36 PM.

I was able to just do a replacement, like before ( i had 1.0.2) in the folder System/Library/Carrier Bundles there are a bunch of folders with names like 22046. I went through all of these until i found two files with the same name of the carrier i wanted to change (i.e. - FSO_CARRIER_TMOBILE.png) then just replaced them both and everything worked after rebooting the iphone. I had no idea how to edit a plist ( im on a pc) so if anyone doesn't want to try that first this should work.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to brentk For This Useful Post:

Sirius389 (01-27-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sirius389's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks brentk, i wasnt sure why it wasnt working either but i used iphonebrowser and replaced the two files and it works perfect =)
    -Nicole