+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing icons of Apps bought in the appstore?

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
I was just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to change the homescreen icon of the apps that you buy from the appStore. Ive changed all of my stock
    Thanks

Exclamation Changing icons of Apps bought in the appstore?
    I was just wondering if anyone knows if its possible to change the homescreen icon of the apps that you buy from the appStore. Ive changed all of my stock and cydia app icons that i found in the /Applications folder through ssh. But I think that the appstore apps are stored in another folder location.
    If anyone can help id greatly appreciate it...
    DruClerk

iPhone? More like MyPhone Numberzz's Avatar
    Thanks

The Applications that are bought in the App Store are not in /Applications, they are in ~/Applications or /var/mobile/Applications. The only problem is that they aren't named like "AIM.app" and "Super Monkey Ball.app." They have codes as their names and they are in the order of when they were last updated. Here's what mine looks like:
    "Now everyone calm the hell down and let me think about how to clean up your mess, while you build me a monument dedicated to how awesome I am."

MacBook Pro + iPhone 3GS

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks, but wich file do you replace. Not all appfolders have a icon.png file, some have a Capitalized Icon.png file and some only have a defalt.png file. Im using a intel-macbook pro with lepord and just like pc users i can view png files transfered from my phone to my desktop...whats up it that???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You can change the app icons, but as soon as you reset your iPhone none of those apps will work anymore and you will have to delete them and re-download/re-sync them...if someone has figured out a way around that problem, let me know!

EDIT: FOUND IT

Check hereiPhone 2.0 Theming
    Last edited by Fiziks; 07-29-2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Found it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
    You can change the app icons, but as soon as you reset your iPhone none of those apps will work anymore and you will have to delete them and re-download/re-sync them...if someone has figured out a way around that problem, let me know!

EDIT: FOUND IT

Check hereiPhone 2.0 Theming
    thats too much work to change a icon.
    THANK OR DIE

iPhone? More like MyPhone SevenThirteen's Avatar
    Thanks

Try this instead

Quote Originally Posted by opusandbill View Post
    if you want to change any appstore and still have a working app follow this guide.

1. you will need the new app winterboard (install from Cydia)
    Once you install winterboard you will have this path: Library/Themes (there will be 1 default theme, but you can add your own)

to add your own theme add a folder to the theme folder.

this is what you want to see: Library/Themes/(theme name)

then add a folder called Bundles : Library/Themes/(theme name)/Bundles

now you have to get the path for the app you want to change.
    goto this path: var/mobile/Applications

appstore apps are listed by a bunch of letters & Numbers
    Example: EEF94467-0812-4AA6-B245-31673A25F6D1 ( this belongs to Jirbo Avatar app)
    then you will open the folder with the apps name and download the apps Info.plist to your computer and open it with any text editor.

you then want to look for something like this (com.jirbo.JirboAvatar)
    you will use this to make a folder with the same name

EX: Library/Themes/(theme name)/Bundles/com.jirbo.JirboAvatar

now once this done any icon placed in the folder will replace the default one and if you want to change back just delete the folder.

winterboard is a permanet replacement for summboard and you can do so much more then summerboard could.
    Last edited by SevenThirteen; 08-27-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks, it works!

I tried it out with Molskinery+ and it worked.

However when I changed Remote, the icon is HUGE on the Springboard. It didn't shrink to it's frame. I copied the info plist as "com.apple.Remote". Did I do anything wrong?

The file info plist is:
    bplist00 _CFBundleVersion_CFBundleIdentifier]NSMainNibFile_CFBundleIconFile_CFBundleShortVersio nString_CFBundleExecutable]CFBundleBuildYDTSDKName_UIRequiresPersistentWiFi_C FBundleDevelopmentRegion^DTPlatformName_UIPrerende redIcon_CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion_CFBundleReso urceSpecification_CFBundleSignature_CFBundlePackag eType\CFBundleNameS1.0_com.apple.RemoteZMainWindow Xicon.pngVRemoteSd31Z(SDK_NAME) WEnglishXiphoneos S6.0_ResourceRules.plistT????TAPPL-?Tbu’9Ymƒ”!
    Last edited by kidclam; 08-27-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kidclam View Post
    Thanks, it works!

I tried it out with Molskinery+ and it worked.

However when I changed Remote, the icon is HUGE on the Springboard. It didn't shrink to it's frame. I copied the info plist as "com.apple.Remote". Did I do anything wrong?

The file info plist is:
    bplist00 _CFBundleVersion_CFBundleIdentifier]NSMainNibFile_CFBundleIconFile_CFBundleShortVersio nString_CFBundleExecutable]CFBundleBuildYDTSDKName_UIRequiresPersistentWiFi_C FBundleDevelopmentRegion^DTPlatformName_UIPrerende redIcon_CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion_CFBundleReso urceSpecification_CFBundleSignature_CFBundlePackag eTypeCFBundleNameS1.0_com.apple.RemoteZMainWindowX icon.pngVRemoteSd31Z(SDK_NAME) WEnglishXiphoneos S6.0_ResourceRules.plistT????TAPPL-?Tbu9Ym!
    you did not do anything wrong, the size problems just happens with some appstore icons, you can change the size with photoshop till you get the size you want.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I reduced the icons, however white background of the original PNG is showing where the curve of the icon is. It doesn't etch out the corners like all the other icons. Is there a way around that?
    Last edited by kidclam; 08-27-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kidclam View Post
    Oh cool, good to know. Anyone know the actual screen dimensions of the iphone icons?
    I do 50x50 pixels