+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Change carrier name (text) on 1st gen iPhone FW 2.0???

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hello Everybody, Can anybody provide step by step instructions on how to change the carrier name - not image, just the text - on a first generation iPhone (not the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Change carrier name (text) on 1st gen iPhone FW 2.0???
    Hello Everybody,

Can anybody provide step by step instructions on how to change the carrier name - not image, just the text - on a first generation iPhone (not the 3G version!) with Firmware 2.0 (Dev Team / Pwnage).

I tried Erica's plutil to set the SBFakeCarrier but it does not seem to work with FW 2.0.

Thanks in advance
    Ralf

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd like to know as well, i tried edting the strings file, but unlike < 2.0 the file was a simple xml file, now when i try to access it, it is a bit jumbled.. Although i havn't tried SSH yet, was using iphone browser, it might have something to do with it. When i used the 1.1.4 strings file and edited it. The only thing that didn't work was the Calendar app was blank insted of showed the day name and number.

I'm gonna try ssh tonight and see if that is any different.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wedgen View Post
    I'd like to know as well, i tried edting the strings file, but unlike < 2.0 the file was a simple xml file, now when i try to access it, it is a bit jumbled.. Although i havn't tried SSH yet, was using iphone browser, it might have something to do with it. When i used the 1.1.4 strings file and edited it. The only thing that didn't work was the Calendar app was blank insted of showed the day name and number.

I'm gonna try ssh tonight and see if that is any different.
    I SSHed to /var/root/Library/Preferences and used Erica Sadun's plutil as follows

plutil -s SBFakeCarrier -v "MyName" com.apple.springboard.plist

It confirmed the creation of the key. However, after restarting I sill got my old Voda... text displayed...

Tried to contact Erica about it. Seems difficult as ericasadun.com does not have any contact links.

Resolved it. Described it in detail in the following post (it's near the end of that post).
    Last edited by BeSilver; 07-22-2008 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

try installing the new 'Make It Mine' app by erica. its on cydia on firmware 2.0. the new version lets you change your carrier name and also has a button saying 'banner' which lets you change the time on the status bar to a phrase of your choice.

hope this helps