+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upcoming Garf skins system...sneak preview

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hey guys, I have added a new skins system for the upcoming version (0.30 something) of Garf. This new one will allow you to package your skins and distribute them
    JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

Default Upcoming Garf skins system...sneak preview
    Hey guys,
    I have added a new skins system for the upcoming version (0.30 something) of Garf. This new one will allow you to package your skins and distribute them via Installer. It will also allow you control of where the buttons are on the screen. You can also customize the pitch of the button sound.

I have uploaded the sneak preview ("sneak"=buggy) for the new version of Garf to this bulletin board...the link is at the bottom of the page. If you want to start developing skins for Garf, you can use this version to test out button locations, etc.

Also at the bottom of the page is the download for a sample skins package I threw together (it ain't pretty, but I'm no graphics guy). To install it, you just need to unzip it and place the folder called "Cartoon" in the following directory:
    /private/var/root/Media/Skins/Garf/

If you want to make your own skin, for example, one with a carved up Apple logo, you would add the following directory:
    /private/var/root/Media/Skins/Garf/AppleLogo
    (Watch out for lawyers with that one...)

Garf will automatically scan this folder for subfolders that contain a file called "skins.cfg". You can edit this file with a text-editor...it is how you specify the location of the buttons, etc. If Garf finds a skin pack, then it will add it to the Garf settings menu.

Please post any suggestions/bugs...
    Thanks,
    JLA

Update: I've put up Garf 0.32 on SourceForge, and it will probably be on this Installer repository soon. Possibly 2 sets of skins as well.
    Last edited by JLA; 01-02-2008 at 09:00 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JLA For This Useful Post:

zizzi (01-04-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me LeathaFace's Avatar
    Thanks

Kool! great job, thanx
    They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be.
    They only lack the light to show the way.
    For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

hi i just posted on sourceforge that 0.32 doesn`t work on my 1.0.2 phone. it loads than goes back to the homescreen. all previous versions worked. all the permissions are right. i installed with installer first then manually to be sure. i hope it`s just a bug, it`s really a great game. thanx

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

I suspect that 1.0.2 firmware isn't compatible with the newest Garf. If you want to get a specific error message, I suggest running the program from the Terminal program:

$ cd /Applications/Garf.app
    $ ./garf

You can tell why it crashed from reading the text output...
    If the problem is with the new theme system, then your best bet is to either 1) update your firmware, or if that's impossible, then 2) download Garf v0.25 from SourceForge project website and copy the executable into the application directory.
    Hope this helps,
    JLA

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this is what it said when ran from command line:

dyld: Symbol not found: .objc_class_name_NSD
    ecimalNumber
    Referenced from: /Applications/Garf.app/./
    garf
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Foundation

zsh: trace trap ./garf
    # ./garf

did you have a beta 0.32 version i may have installed before? because i overwrote the garf file from the 1 i had backed up and the version says 0.32 but there is option for skins.
    Last edited by Blackwidow74; 01-04-2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JLA
    Developer
    Thanks

There was an unofficial 0.30 release, but it was virtually identical to the 0.32. If you copy over the garf file, the version number will still say 0.32 because the version number is in a different file. If you copy something before 0.30, you shouldn't see a theme option.

The NSDecimalNumber class must not be in 1.02...this is how Garf stores the previously used theme values so that the theme starts up immediately next time...

Why are so many people still on 1.02?