+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using The BG Space Between The Dock and Third Row of Icons

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hey MMi Folks, I've been a silent member for awhile and have followed the tons of tutorials and modded my phone with my own personal carrier logo, the Curly Maple
    Thanks

Default Using The BG Space Between The Dock and Third Row of Icons
    Hey MMi Folks,

I've been a silent member for awhile and have followed the tons of tutorials and modded my phone with my own personal carrier logo, the Curly Maple icons and the Gatsby theme set. I've also created and uploaded my own ringtones from my music in iTunes. Sweet! When I run into other iPhone users that ask how I did it, I send them here. There's one more thing I'm trying to do to perfect my custom mod.

I'm trying to put my custom logo/image in the space between the 3rd row of icons and the dock at the bottom of the home screen. I've seen a couple themes that have something similar, or an entire background, but I wanted to know if there's a way to do it without affecting the natural function of the homescreen. The closest I've seen have been some of the Loring icon sets (all of which are dope...thanks man!) and I wanted to do something similar with my signature and my logo in that space. I want my iPhone icons to still move normally and highlight normally when pressed.

Reading some of the walkthroughs, it looks like folks are creating an entire background, putting what they want in that space, but having to basically put their normal icon images on top of the background as a layered image. I know that works, but I'm concerned about my icons 'spreading' when you click on an app and 'coming back together' when you click the home button. I'd like to retain that, and have the feeling when you do the whole 'icons drawn on your background image' that that goes away.

I've got CS2, so I have no problem editing images and am very comfy doing terminal window commands and following code. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-McFlossy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using The BG Space Between The Dock and Third Row of Icons-iphonemod.jpg  

previously known as amalone87
    Thanks

If I were you, I would contact Loring and see if he has any tips for you. He makes the background in pieces on each icon. They line up great and work great. I am like you though, I don't like the way that the demoapp works with backgrounds. I will keep up with this post, but let me know if you figure out anything.

I am tried something similar to what Loring does, but he said it was messed up because all the icon sizes can't be perfect (same size). If you look at some of his themes his icons are all different sizes depending on what background he is using. That is why I quit messing with it for now because it takes a noob like me way to long to edit icons in PS C3.

Thanks

Thanks amalone87, I might just do that. I definitely love making changes to my iPhone, but I'm not trying to do a major overhaul, and I want to maintain the normal functionality. One post that caught my attention was possibly making a taller dock and putting my image/logo at the top. I would still get that space, but everything else will still act as intended. I don't know if anyone has tried it...maybe i will

previously known as amalone87
    Thanks

That might work...You would have to figure out the dimensions, but it might work. I haven't thought of that until you brought it up. I might try it too. Let me know how it goes.

I also like to maintain the normal functionality of the iPhone.