+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GPRS icons to replace blanks

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
hi all. just updated to 1.1.2 and noticed the well-documented "blank" square icons for GPRS which i think is ugly. so i made 2 new "G" versions to replace them
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default GPRS icons to replace blanks
    hi all.

just updated to 1.1.2 and noticed the well-documented "blank" square icons for GPRS which i think is ugly.

so i made 2 new "G" versions to replace them which resemble the original blue-background and white-background "E" icons for EDGE.

the only variations in the 2 versions are that one has a rounder G and the other has a squarish G. you choose which one suits you.

in the zip file "gprs_icons.zip" you will find the 2 versions in separate folders named "rounded" and "squarish". in each folder, there are 2 .png files named:

Default_GPRS_ON.png
    FSO_GPRS_ON.png

these should replace their counterparts in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

once uploaded, restart your phone.

enjoy!
    air
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by air2fakie; 11-29-2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added inline image of icon

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to air2fakie For This Useful Post:

17033 (04-14-2008), fidelio959 (12-17-2007), saschke (01-26-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    hi all.

just updated to 1.1.2 and noticed the well-documented "blank" square icons for GPRS which i think is ugly.

so i made 2 new "G" versions to replace them which resemble the original blue-background and white-background "E" icons for EDGE.

the only variations in the 2 versions are that one has a rounder G and the other has a squarish G. you choose which one suits you.

in the zip file "gprs_icons.zip" you will find the 2 versions in separate folders named "rounded" and "squarish". there are 2 .png files in each folder named:

Default_GPRS_ON.png
    FSO_GPRS_ON.png

these should replace their counterparts in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app

enjoy!
    air
    Not sure what you're referring to here. GPRS is EDGE. I'm on 1.1.2 and still have the E. Maybe you're referring to 3G?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Not sure what you're referring to here. GPRS is EDGE. I'm on 1.1.2 and still have the E. Maybe you're referring to 3G?
    hi eurisko,

when roaming in countries where there are no EDGE networks, the iPhone defaults to GPRS (if available, of course). since 1.1.2, when this happens, the "E" EDGE icon on the taskbar the one next to the carrier name changes to a blank square signifying that you're not using EDGE anymore.

the icons i made replace this blank square to a G (for GRPS).

if you never roam in non-EDGE networks, then you probably won't need this mod.

cheers,
    air

5. The Following User Says Thank You to air2fakie For This Useful Post:

gsxr100013 (12-20-2007)

Thanks

hi eurisko,

when roaming in countries where there are no EDGE networks, the iPhone defaults to GPRS (if available, of course). since 1.1.2, when this happens, the "E" EDGE icon on the taskbar the one next to the carrier name changes to a blank square signifying that you're not using EDGE anymore.

the icons i made replace this blank square to a G (for GRPS).

if you never roam in non-EDGE networks, then you probably won't need this mod.

cheers,
    air
    Oh i see. You're right, never roamed outside EDGE. Thanks for the tip. Now if I could just make the EDGE icon disappear when its disabled.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

^Now that's something I would enjoy!

Reako

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Oh i see. You're right, never roamed outside EDGE. Thanks for the tip. Now if I could just make the EDGE icon disappear when its disabled.
    That, and the warnings!

Thanks

Hi
    I followed your guide and I don't see the G icon...I deleted the two E files and installed the G files but I don't see it and also E icon has dissappeared...I didn't know how to "replace" them so I deleted and installed the new ones.Can u pls advise??I have 1.0.2
    thanks
    Last edited by ikostas; 11-29-2007 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yikes! i think the blank square appears only on 1.1.2! (can anyone confirm that?) so i would advise against using this mod if on 1.0.2.

to restore your e icons, ikostas, you can download the original springboard.app poetic_folly has up in the downloads section.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/downloa...do=file&id=131

if you delete the .app extension on the file, it will turn into a folder and you can access the original e icons there: Default_EDGE_ON.png and FSO_EDGE_ON.png.

good luck,
    air
    Last edited by air2fakie; 11-29-2007 at 02:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

thanks for your answer but I don't want to put back the E icon,I just want to know how to put the G icon...now I don't have any icon on my springboard.

I just looked again at sprinboard.app and there are the two GPRS files,but why they don't show up on my sprinboard??
    Last edited by ikostas; 11-29-2007 at 02:40 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi ikostas,

i think what is happening in your situation is that in 1.0.2 (i'm speculating here since i'm not on 1.0.2), the iphone does not distinguish between an EDGE connection or a GPRS connection. so the only icon 1.0.2 uses is the E, whether you are on EDGE or GPRS.

if you don't want the E icon (since maybe your network is only GRPS), then my suggestion to you is to use the G icons i made but simply change the respective names:

Default_GPRS_ON.png > Default_EDGE_ON.png
    FSO_GPRS_ON.png > FSO_EDGE_ON.png

that way, whether you're on EDGE or GPRS, the icon that will show up on your iphone is a G instead of an E.

hope this helps.

cheers,
    air
    Last edited by air2fakie; 11-29-2007 at 04:00 AM. Reason: edited last sentence for clarity

Thanks

hi ikostas,

i think what is happening in your situation is that in 1.0.2 (i'm speculating here since i'm not on 1.0.2), the iphone does not distinguish between an EDGE connection or a GPRS connection. so the only icon 1.0.2 uses is the E, whether you are on EDGE or GPRS.

if you don't want the E icon (since maybe your network is only GRPS), then my suggestion to you is to use the G icons i made but simply change the respective names:

Default_GPRS_ON.png > Default_EDGE_ON.png
    FSO_GPRS_ON.png > FSO_EDGE_ON.png

that way, when your on EDGE the icon will show up on your iphone but as a G instead of an E.

hope this helps.

cheers,
    air
    u mean that the G icon will show up only when someone uses EDGE...maybe I can't because I don't use EDGE (we don't have in Greece)
    it's ok,never mind...at least the good thing is that the annoying E icon is not on my springboard anymore...

thanks a lot
    Kostas

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ikostas View Post
    u mean that the G icon will show up only when someone uses EDGE...maybe I can't because I don't use EDGE (we don't have in Greece)
    i mean, if you follow my last post, that whether you are on EDGE or GPRS, the icon that will show up is the G icon.

(again, this is only if you are on 1.0.2 and 1.1.1, since 1.1.2 DOES distinguish between EDGE or GPRS.)

i think this is what you are looking for, am i right?

cheers,
    air

Thanks

On 1.0.2 the iPhone does not have another icon when roaming outside of the Edge network. You most likely deleted the Edge files considering there are no GPRS files in 1.0.2. You need to reupload thee EDGE files to savvy the Edge logo on your homescreen again.

Reako

Thanks

thanks!! i was looking for this!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Perfect
    that's exactly what i was looking for, thank you!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

hi all.

in the zip file "gprs_icons.zip" you will find the 2 versions in separate folders named "rounded" and "squarish". in each folder, there are 2 .png files named:

Default_GPRS_ON.png
    FSO_GPRS_ON.png

enjoy!
    air

Hi Bro...

can u make a red color G with transparent background?
    thanks a million....

cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 644 Posts

hi bro, i included you icon into my package, and of course i gave credit for your icons

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30595

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Make Both Edge and GPRS Icon work
    Hey Just wonderin if you could possibly develop a method so that both edge and GPRS Icons work so that if your on a school trip or vacation and want to know if you are on GPRS or edge you can. it would be much more useful if u did that cuz, I live in toronto and sometimes get edge and sometimes GPRS it just depends on where I am in the city so ya I would GREATLY appreciate if you made both work!!!

Phil

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hobo man, this is exactly what the procedure does. you dont replace "FSO_EDGE_ON.png" and "Default_EDGE_ON.png" but "Default_GPRS_ON.png" and "FSO_GPRS_ON.png". you can see the difference between EDGE and GPRS (from 1.1.3 on afair) but instead of the boring blue square representing GPRS reception you do have a nice G thanks to guy named after a halfpipe trick, hehe.

thanks for this air2fakie, i was searching for the original "FSO_GPRS_ON.png" to customize it, only to find out you already did that for us.