+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Easily change the background picture of your iPhone

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hello Through out this tutorial I will show you how to easily change the background picture of your iPhone without using terminal or any other complicated methods. First of all
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Easily change the background picture of your iPhone
    Hello
    Through out this tutorial I will show you how to easily change the background picture of your iPhone without using terminal or any other complicated methods.

First of all you must have installer, appsnapp, apptapp or whatever you want to call it installed on your iphone, also you will be needing Cyberduck so you need to have Openssh installed on your iPhone which you can download through Installer and Adobe Photoshop.

Next,
    You must install Summerboard which is located under System.

After you have installed Summerboard we will leave your iPhone apart and open Cyberduck.

Click "Open Connection"

Protocol: Change to SSH
    Server will be your iPhone's iP address
    Port:22
    Username:root
    Password:alpine or dottie depending on your firmware.

When you Have Succesfully Connected

You have to go to var/root/library/Summerboard/Themes

In here you will find all of your Summerboard themes which you have downloaded and that are already modded and ready to use. so we will create a new one based on another one.

So in My case I wanted to create a Car theme so IN that directory you must create a new folder called however you want your theme to be called in my case Cars.

So next we will copy the files in the theme called Summerboard to Our desktop.

There should Be three files

Wallpaper.png
    Minidock.png
    Dock.png

Now you will find the picture that you want and scale it to 320x480 pixels

next you will save it as Wallpaper.png on your desktop And overwrite the existing one. in my case I chose a car.

Next you will drag

minidock.png
    Dock.png
    And your edited Wallpaper.png inside your theme in my case the cars folder.

Once the files are updated, You should open summerboard from your iphone, click themes, select your theme, restart your iPhone and you should be all set with your New Personalized Background Image.

You can do This how many times you want but be careful when editing the dock because its transparency should not be changed!

Good Luck

Pascualcm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to p14c55m For This Useful Post:

br401k (03-25-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Wongster360's Avatar
    Thanks

I just go into /settings/wallpaper and change it there...takes 2 seconds :-p

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    But by doing that you change the wallpaper of your iphone. not the homescreen background. my tutorial is about changing the homescreen background. maybe you got confused because the file is called Wallpaper.png but it has nothing to do

Thanks

Thanks for the write-up but this is pretty much kindergarten stuff now.

Reako

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    Thanks for the write-up but this is pretty much kindergarten stuff now.

Reako
    Yea for us non newbies but you know all about the 500 new threads in the wrong section every day about kindergarten stuff.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can you change background image without installing SummerBoard? I do not want to install that, it seems to beak many iPhones...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yes, but with some methods that are much more complicated which require Terminal skills, check the "GUIDES" on the top of the page

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pascualcm View Post
    But by doing that you change the wallpaper of your iphone. not the homescreen background. my tutorial is about changing the homescreen background. maybe you got confused because the file is called Wallpaper.png but it has nothing to do

In Summerboard if you turn theme wallpaper off and turn wallpaper on under advanced any picture you set as your wallpaper will also show on your homescreen. A much easier way of doing it which only required syncing the wanted photos with itunes and installing Summerboard.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i know this question has prolly been answered somewhere, but cant find it. how do u make the slider wallpaper different from the homescreen wallpaper?

Thanks

Nice little tutorial...Although changing the wallpaper like westgate stated is prolly the easiest fool proof method. nietsoj I have never had any problems with SB on three different iPhones. I would classify it as a must have app!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    wall paper preferences? or do you meantheslide icon... because if that is what you mean you can use an app called costumize which you can get from installer.

Thanks

great job!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well i did everything you say, but it still does not pop up in summerboard themes....i made a directory in the themes. Then put the 3 files, with my picture resized and renamed Wallpaper.png then copied the files into my directory in themes...still nothing, any ideas?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi pascualcm... please help me .. where can i download cyberdock..?? in my pc or iphone.. hepl me...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the Pretty in Pink theme and did not like the background in black. My husband changed the background where the icons are, but when the pages are changing (for instance when you click on messages) it still goes back to the black screen as it is transferring. Does anybody know how to also change that? I used the pink explosion for my new background. Also, I would like to get rid of the gray dock to either nothing or something in pink. Any help would be greatly appreciated!