Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adding Themes and Icons w/ WinSCP I Need Help!!!

Exclamation Adding Themes and Icons w/ WinSCP I Need Help!!!
    Need Some Help,
    and in return I can Sleep.

I have a jailbroken 1.1.1 iPhone. I use SSH to transfer all my files to and from my iPhone.

I have tried and tried and tried to put Themes, Battery Icons, Carrier Logos, and Bar Dialers onto my iphone using SSH.

I am Running Windows and have tried using all the other iphone apps to transfer the files and i have found the only one that really works for me is Winscp405.exe

If any one knows how to successfully add Themes, Icons.... using Winscp please email or send me a message on Yahoo.

To go into the problem deeper i will explain what i have noticed when adding the files to my phone.

Note: Not all the themes and icons I tried form this site failed. Just most of them did before I gave up on trying. A lot of the threads or posts on this site explains what programs to use to fix my problem. but none of them tell you what do to or change after you install that program. I Know that Winscp works great for my setup.

THEMES: The theme files installed off of Installer.app are arranged different than the ones you get from this website Example: all of the icons have there own folder and instead of the icon name being calc.png the folder is named calc and the icon inside the folder is named icon.png

Battery Icons: Some of the Battery Files would show up In Customize as all the Icon States. 0%-100% Icon images would be shown under the section where only one Icon would be shown for the other batteries.

Bar Dialer: I backed up my default dialer file and replaced it with the new file(s) but it never took effect after restarting my iphone.

I know im putting these files in the right place. I just have a feeling most or some of the files are in the wrong form or they are incorrectly named or labeled. I have experimented with some of the files by renaming them trying to see if it makes them work but no success.

Help + Answers = Sleep

Rock It Out,
    Jon
    Last edited by rockstar; 11-22-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockstar View Post

THEMES: The theme files installed off of Installer.app are arranged different than the ones you get from this website Example: all of the icons have there own folder and instead of the icon name being calc.png the folder is named calc and the icon inside the folder is named icon.png
    Are these SummerBoard themes? Assuming they are, the icons are placed and named incorrectly. The icons should be in the Icons folder. The icons also have case sensitive names.

The folder setup should be: Theme Name > Icons

In the 'Theme Name' folder should be your dock and wallpaper. They are called 'dock.png' and 'wallpaper.png' any variation of the name could cause it to not work.

The icons should be in the 'Icons' folder and have specific names. In your example, you mentioned a folder called calc with a file called icon.png. The icon should be renamed to Calculator.png and it goes in the Icons folder. Remember these are case sensitive.

Rename your icon files appropriately and put them in the Icons folder and you should be good.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

rockstar (11-22-2007)

I have had similar issue with battery Icon...What I did was rename the folder
    for example....if the folder is name Kandl2004 each battery file should be name Kandl2004-1,Kandl2004-2.....etc...I got some of them to work but for other I have been trying for the last few with no luck..like the superman batteryBG
    Hope this help

does anybody know where a guide is for making a battery icon?
    Last edited by kandl2004; 11-22-2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kandl2004 For This Useful Post:

rockstar (11-22-2007)

I try to use imario theme... it have the icons named well, and it don't work...

icons folder ( Calendar.png, etc...)
    Wallpaper.png
    Dock.png

and doesn't work

7. The Following User Says Thank You to darksteel For This Useful Post:

rockstar (11-22-2007)

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Thanks for all your replies. as soon as i get done with my meal I will try to mess with the battery and themes fixes.

an update to my original post- What should the Format be for Carrier Logo?

Only 3 hours of sleep before my turky day

Rock Rules,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by rockstar View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Thanks for all your replies. as soon as i get done with my meal I will try to mess with the battery and themes fixes.

an update to my original post- What should the Format be for Carrier Logo?

Only 3 hours of sleep before my turky day

Rock Rules,
    Jon
    .png. If you wanted something to be real sharp, I would reccommend a .jpg, but that also takes up a lot of space, and carrier logos are so small, you dont need much detail...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ajl917 For This Useful Post:

rockstar (11-22-2007)

Thanks

Ohh the troubles with themes and WinSCP...I just figured out today myself how to transfer files back in forth using that program. I still have no explanation of why some themes don't work well after being transferred to the phone. The files names are very picky and indeed case sensitive....Picky picky picky! lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bkabner For This Useful Post:

rockstar (11-22-2007)

UPDATE- I just got done adding the Themes from this website. and Soulthoughts was right. I just took all the icon.png files out of there folders and renamed them to the appropriate app name making sure that I made them case sensitive. So far all the themes that I have tried have worked using this method.

But there is still one problem in the THEME department not mentioning the problems I am still trying to figure out with all the other Battery and Carrier Logos.

Some of the Themes on this web site are in .ipb Format. or at least that’s what the maker says they are. but when I open the lists of folders they have created (system/library/coreservices/springboard/and application folders) I find that inside these folders are nothing but the the same thing I found earlier. all of the icons have there own folder and instead of the icon name being calc.png the folder is named calc and the icon inside the folder is named icon.png

Can I still change the .png names and install them to my phone like all the other themes without sacrificing what the theme is supposed to look like overall?

Thanx for all of your reponses. Its really nice getting the right answers for my problem instead of trying to make answers out of other peoples forms that dont apply to me. You Guys Rock!

Took a nap after my Turky Food

Rock Rules,
    Jon

Update- 11-22-07 @11:11pm

Sigh.. ok so I've been researching and using trial and air and this is what I know as of right now. I tried 2 themes that were considered .ipb theme files. The first one was called Mirrored Apple. I simply renamed all of the .png files and put them in a folder under icons just like I was doing with the normal Theme files and it worked the same with only one defect. I'm not sure as of right now why there are 2 different theme file types out there but the Mirrored Apple theme has its Wallpaper built into the icons. if you only have the standard 16 icons then your fine. but when you go to your next springboard (i think that's what it is called) or your next page of icons the Wallpaper moves or slides with your first page. Thus leaving you with a black Wallpaper on your other pages. oh, I also had to put the icons in the order that the Maker of Mirror Apple had his icons in, in order to make the wallpaper match up.

The Second .ipb file i tried was named s70.ipb He states that you must put his files in this location CoreServices/Springboard.app/English.lproj folder. which i could never find the CoreServices Folder.

Looking at all the folders in his file, he has battery icon, and slider icons. I know how to manually set these icons using CUSTOMIZE but i guess since its a .ipb file it does it automatically. If you don't want to move the battery and slider icons into the proper section of folders for CUSTOMIZE to work than i have no idea how to make this theme run right.

I guess what we need to find out is where the Hell is this located at: CoreServices/Springboard.app/English.lproj

Lets Hope I didn't just look over it and you all call me a dumb ***. hehehehe

Rock It Out,
    Jon

Oh... I still am not getting that much sleep.
    Last edited by rockstar; 11-22-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

In iPhoneBrowser, if you pick Go To Location|SpringBoard Images and Settings, you will discover:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj

is what you are looking for, though that is for changing the text SpringBoard displays - unless he is erasing all the icons names that way, in which case I would just use the SummerBoard switch. Be sure to back up if you replace files in here!

FYI, before there was SummerBoard, (before 1.0.2) the first wallpaper hack was to make large icons that includes the wallpaper. I would just avoid those themes today.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

rockstar (11-22-2007)

yes most def avoid those.
    demo.app is ultra annoying if it has an icon.

though im not sure if you can delete it or not without ill effects

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyraincloud For This Useful Post:

rockstar (11-23-2007)

That's some good information you provided NetMage. I am still not sure why he wants the entire folder put in this location. but i did notice that one of the files in his folder had a file name of: LocalizedApplicationNames.strings I'm really not sure what that means but since its in under his folder it did not overwrite the original .strings

so after trying to put the s70.ipb folder in the location specified without making any changes to the .png icon files it surpisingly did not work. i tried a couple of combinations of using only the main folders inside the s70.ipb folder and still no success.

Do you think I have to UnInstall my summerboard for this ipb file to work?

Rock Rules,
    Jon

Default Need Help Too!
    I downloaded a Chritmas Theme for my phone, I followed the directions EXACTLY as specified, and when I apply the theme to my phone NOTHING happens. Not one thing changes.What is the problem?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Billabongdude22 View Post
    I downloaded a Chritmas Theme for my phone, I followed the directions EXACTLY as specified, and when I apply the theme to my phone NOTHING happens. Not one thing changes.What is the problem?!?
    Ok, first, where did you exactly put it. var>root etc.

in the themes section, the SUMMERBOARD. and it is a summerboard theme

i dont understand why none of these themes are in the INSTALLER it would be so much easier... its still not working
    Last edited by Billabongdude22; 11-23-2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I was having problems with a few wallpapers being .jpg files instead of .png (JPG formats wouldn't work for me). I just googled "image converter" and came up with a program called easy image converter. Snap to download and use. I think I'm understanding a few of the problems you're having. When you add a folder, usually the name of the folder is the name of the actual theme. Inside this folder should be another folder named Icons (the "I" MUST be capitalized, just like the "P" in Phone, the "C" in Calculator, etc). In there, you should be putting all of your icon .png files...Make sure they're Calculator.png, etc (remember, when you RENAME the icon, just put Calculator, don't add the .png yourself, that'll screw it all up). Once you have all the icons in there, then you want to go back into the main theme folder. In there should be your wallpaper.png (NOT in a folder) and your dock (also not in a folder), which should be just named "Dock" (minus quotations). I have done this countless times in the past few days, and I haven't had any problems since I got the hang of it. If you're really having problems, and you are on a PC and used iBrickr to jailbreak your phone, you can also put themes on your phone using that program, and there is a very helpful how to guide posted on the forums here somewhere....it was posted recently. Give it a read. Hope this helped some.
    Last edited by ChrisLF; 11-23-2007 at 09:26 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisLF For This Useful Post:

rockstar (11-24-2007)

Update- 11-25-07 @9:00pm

All My Problems have been solved except getting the Carrier Logos and Battery Icons to Work.

Today I tried 10 Different Carrier Logos and none of them worked in CUSTOMIZE. I put them in this location ver/root/Library/Customize/CarrierImages They were all in the right format, named properly, right size pic and in there own folder.

As soon as I put one of the carrier logo .png files into System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app and over wrote the original file, It worked perfectly.

So why did CUSTOMIZE not recognize the files to let me change my Carrier Logo?

I haven't tried this method with the battery icons yet. But I bet I will get the same result. It will work if i replace the original file but not if I use CUSTOMIZE.

The reason I want to use CUSTOMIZE is because it allows me to change my icons on the fly. If I don't use CUSTOMIZE then I would have to hook my phone up to winscp, move and copy files every time.

Rock It Out,
    Jon

I has the same problems with wincsp, just use iPhone browser , it work perfect to install themes!

I'm having some problems with the themes i am installing from installer. They download, install then when i go into SMBprefs in order to apply the theme... It's not there? Maybe i have to do something with the iPhoneBrowser program or not i'm not sure. Please help as i'm relatively new to these sorts of things