+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: skin creation tool

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
So I've been working on a tool to help in skin creation. It was making me nuts trying to put together a skin and get everything to line up correctly,
    Developer
    Thanks

Default skin creation tool
    So I've been working on a tool to help in skin creation. It was making me nuts trying to put together a skin and get everything to line up correctly, so I made a directx windows app that will take a skin and display it as it would show on the iphone. After making it, I think it might be good also as a skin viewer for someone looking for a skin they would like to put on their phone.

I think this would be a good app for skin creation and more for playing around with the different ways to create a skin to see how the iphone would render such a skin. It's still very early in the development and all I have rendering currently are the icons and dock. I'm still working on the top bar and the ability to show keypad, lock screen, etc.

You can animate the home screen by clicking on it and if you right click it will play the animation at 1/4 speed so you can better see how things are moving. I don't think the animation is 100% perfect yet most notably with regard to the dock icons.

I wanted to see what the reaction was to this to see if there was any interest to keep working on it.

You can download the app here.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knobby For This Useful Post:

JakeyBoy (08-01-2007), laz305 (08-03-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Thanks

AWSOMEEE!!!! (now make one for mac
    This is going to start a whole new era of iphone moding apps!

My iPhone is a Part of Me LoringStudios's Avatar
    Thanks

This is making more sense now..
    So it can actually test any icon.. for whatever section you use it for. does it accept displayorder.plists and so on?
    Im getting more interested. =)
    Loring Studios Graphic Design Company | Serving the world, one cool job at a time.
    Graphic Design | Vehicle Wraps | Website Design | Large Format Printing

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoringStudios View Post
    This is making more sense now..
    So it can actually test any icon.. for whatever section you use it for. does it accept displayorder.plists and so on?
    Im getting more interested. =)
    It does read the displayorder.plist file to determine what icons to use and where to put them. The only shortfall currently is that it doesn't handle more or less than 4 icons in the dock very well(read at all) yet. It also does the zorder like the iphone, so you can check for overlap and holes in your paper to make sure that the icons will show through correctly. I'm pretty sure that this is a pixel accurate representation of the phone and I've tried many different skins and they all seem to work well. I included one of your skins in the zip for a demo and I hope that it is ok to do so. I included your readme and also a blurb about where the skin came from in my readme.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to knobby For This Useful Post:

JakeyBoy (08-11-2007)

Thanks

Nice. I think that skin you have is 1 pixel off from me =( If its the clouds one. I never got to re-aligning it.

But hell ya. I like the concept. I could do all the testing and visualization right on the comp.
    Loring Studios Graphic Design Company | Serving the world, one cool job at a time.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Wow... PM me with your AIM or MSN, this is awesome!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Retired Moderator arthursdomain's Avatar
    Thanks

You rock man, i restarted my computer HUNDREDS of times trying to align my template!. This will aleviate the pressure on my iphone

mind if we mirror it here??
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Retired ModMyi.com Moderator

Follow me on twitter: twitter.com/laynem

Reviewed Apps:
    Oregon Trail, Who Has The Biggest Brain, Lock Puzzle, Tweetie

Want an app reviewed? PM me with the app name

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh D! Very COOL!!! if you are a mac user like me it should work with crossover for mac!

Thanks

Dude.. Its RAD.. I just ran my new set on it.. All i did was replace the files and display order... perfect..

Look.. Screenshot.

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoringStudios View Post
    Nice. I think that skin you have is 1 pixel off from me =( If its the clouds one. I never got to re-aligning it.

But hell ya. I like the concept. I could do all the testing and visualization right on the comp.
    That is one thing that I don't know if I have 100% correct, the alignment. I'm guessing at everything based on skins that I've found. If anyone knows the exact locations of all the icons it would really help. I have no problems at all with someone mirroring the tool.

Green Apple
    Thanks

but does it really matter if its off by one pixel?imean exact allignment sure tight **** . But i think if its off just by one it shouldn't matter much should it? Jw

Thanks

ya one pixel shows a lot when you have a entire screen running of pixels. If one icon is one pixel off. It throws the others off too. But I think hes got it dialed on I ran a couple sets and they all looked sick.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JakeyBoy's Avatar
    Thanks

Very nice even if it is a bit off. Very good work.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Old School Gaming Matrix
    Deviant Art
    "Don't think you can, know you can"

Thanks

I played around with it and setup my background and what not, looks good, heres my pic, this will be a lot easier to make good screens. as previously stated its a pixel or so off, you cansee in mine where the transparent background is showing through. normally its well aligned.
    Also i think you may have a memory leak or something, im running windows xp MC. if you can get this to then port to the phone, this product is gold

Btw- hope you dont mind file is mirrored here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails skin creation tool-background.jpg  
    Last edited by arthursdomain; 08-02-2007 at 12:30 AM.
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Reviewed Apps:

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arthursdomain View Post
    I played around with it and setup my background and what not, looks good, heres my pic, this will be a lot easier to make good screens. as previously stated its a pixel or so off, you cansee in mine where the transparent background is showing through. normally its well aligned.
    Also i think you may have a memory leak or something, im running windows xp MC. if you can get this to then port to the phone, this product is gold

Btw- hope you dont mind file is mirrored here
    Someone tell me where this thing is off by x pixels and I'll fix it. I can't see from your pic where it is off.

Also, what makes you think there is a memory leak?

Thanks

i hadnt check my processes to see if it was an actual memory leak, but my mouse lags some when its open, and i tried opening photoshop cs2 when it was open and it didnt, until i closed it, it was stuck in that main loading screen.

if you notice the note pad/calculator/stocks are a sliver of white on the right side of it. Im not sure if that is the mis alignment or its the whole thing one pixel to the left. can someone confirm this?
    ARTHURSDOMAIN
    ModMyI.com Apps Reviewer

Reviewed Apps:

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arthursdomain View Post
    i hadnt check my processes to see if it was an actual memory leak, but my mouse lags some when its open, and i tried opening photoshop cs2 when it was open and it didnt, until i closed it, it was stuck in that main loading screen.
    Oh, this is because the program currently isn't very CPU nice. I have a fix for that, I just need to get it coded up.

Thanks

dude very killer tool, i think this will bring in alot more theme makers including myself. Now I can give this thing a shot, look out Loring hehe

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knobby2346 View Post
    Oh, this is because the program currently isn't very CPU nice. I have a fix for that, I just need to get it coded up.
    Sorry the development has been a little slow. I had intentions of fixing the dock animation and having the top status bar available by now, but I'm kinda working on a little something else.

I did just update and fix the CPU issue. You single core guys should be happier now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knobby2346 View Post
    It does read the displayorder.plist file to determine what icons to use and where to put them. The only shortfall currently is that it doesn't handle more or less than 4 icons in the dock very well(read at all) yet.
    Hi, Thanks for your hard work! This simulator is pretty good. I don't have to copy+reboot everytime I update my theme.
    I'm trying to share my theme with screenshot. And, my theme always have 5 icons in the dock. Are you planning to get this work sometime?
    I know that there is a screenshot utility to capture your screens. But, I don't have a wireless router to SCP. So, I can't chmod +x to that utility...
    Instead of spending for a wireless router, I hope that this App got updated.
    I really appreciate
    Last edited by Mandara; 08-11-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added SS - suppose to be 5 icons