+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Proposal for Standards. Theme creators and junkies PLEASE READ and COMMENT!!

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Tim thanks for packaging up the Lcars2 skin for me, now all we need is some one to figure out how to attach the little tricorder sound effects to the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Tim thanks for packaging up the Lcars2 skin for me, now all we need is some one to figure out how to attach the little tricorder sound effects to the button presses and this theme would be complete

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Uninstaller?
    I think that theme creators including myself should start including an uninstall as part of each iPhoneBundle. This would allow themes to be easily reverted back to the original without having to restore or replace every file. I will revise my Leopard theme and the MT Dew Theme to include this. I realize that anyone installing a theme over my Mountain Dew theme would probably still be stuck using the custom open close sounds.

I have now modified my Leopard and Mt Dew Themes to include a Remove variant. With this to uninstall either theme if it was installed over a stock iphone you just have to run:

./installipb.pl -a "Remove" nameOfTheme

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by bluewoodboarder; 08-09-2007 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    BluewoodBoarder!

8g iPhone, 2 GHz Core Duo (black) MacBook w/ 2gigs of ram..

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,224 Posts

I like it! And timmy, we have a full guides section on our site as well!

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Excellent!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon3leg View Post
    Has anyone taken the theme authors to task yet regarding the ipb format, I think it is a brilliant idea and seems to be a viable solution for modders. I would recommend that someone contact all the theme creators and have them restructure to this new "standard" I am currently testing the mod on a vista box at work after having some issues last night applying a new skin. Lets hope this works
    What about an XML standard in a theme? If the XML specified exactly which file goes where, any program could use it to put the file in the right place, or use it to show a preview...anything...it would be up to the program but th XML would be the definition. For example:
    Code:
    <xml>
      <theme>
        <name>Kevin's Cool Theme</name>
        <description>A theme showing off the new XML format and pink colors.</description>
        <sound>
           <name>Lock Phone Sound</name>
           <locationOnPhone>/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/lock.caf</locationOnPhone>
           <locationInTheme>/sounds/lockme.aiff</locationInTheme>
        </sound>
        <sound>
           <name>Unlock Phone Sound</name>
           <locationOnPhone>/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/unlock.caf</locationOnPhone>
           <locationInTheme>/sounds/unlock_scream.aiff</locationInTheme>
        </sound>

<icon>
           <name>Calculator Icon</name>
           <locationOnPhone>/Applications/Calculator.app/icon.png</locationOnPhone>
           <locationInTheme>/icons/calc.png</locationInTheme>
        </icon>

</theme>
    </xml>
    etc...

I could work on the definition of the XML standard, if there is enough of a pull for it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My 2 cents...

Cranium, this is a good suggestion. I was thinking along these same lines for file mapping (until I saw Tim's post). I think that an XML format would be excellent for the iPB information file (bundle name, description, author, contact info, web site, etc.).

I think that sticking with a format that mimics the iPhone file structure is a simpler approach and would require less work for the theme creator (or converter). It would make themes easier to debug and maintain. The creator is already aware of the file structure.

Is anyone working on a standard format for the bundle info file?

Let's do it! Is anyone working on a guide?
    Last edited by tangfishfry; 08-10-2007 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

My take....

I think the discussion on this thread is GREAT! I'm concerned about the difference between Windows and Mac's, specifically in dealing with filenames and folder names. A folder named Notes.app is actually a Notes application.

I'd like to consider the possibility of this standard theme bundle so that it can be installed on the iPhone. Then we can switch the theme 'on-the-fly'.

Regardless of what we've done to our iPhones, a bash shell works the exact same way on everyone's iPhone, as do all the other unix utilities.

The iSwitcher (an as of yet undeveloped iPhone theme switching app) will provide the user with an image of the theme and when he/she clicks on it the theme icons will be loaded.

I have this crudely implemented on my iPhone and its fscking awesome. I have three themes to choose from. I even made a shell script menu for me to pick which theme to load. I wish I had a video camera to demonstrate, anyhow... I mean when you think of all the hard work that goes into a theme, it boils down to just a bunch of icons (23 in my case).

Sorry for the disruption. I'm going to post the detailed information about my soon to be developed iSwitcher app in another post.

iPhone? More like MyPhone senas8's Avatar
    Thanks

WOW! nice.
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
    ... I mean when you think of all the hard work that goes into a theme, it boils down to just a bunch of icons (23 in my case).
    Ahhh, i believe you are underestimating what a theme can be and the usefulness of this script. A theme can be much more then a set of icons for the homescreen. Whatabout the battery charging icons? System Sounds? Dialpad? Dock? Calculator? and other System files such as the .string to change the unlock text? Please don't limit our themes to a set of icons.

On another note: Is Notes.app actually an application, I think it is much more like a folder which contains the applications code and other resources, but is interpreted as a single entity. Much like how an .ipb is just a folder but it contains everything needed for the theme.
    BluewoodBoarder!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not sure how exactly you are managing the themes. If you are just replacing the files, or if you are tracking which files get changed. But I have to agree with cranium. Having one file to keep track of all files in a theme would allow for easier tracking of files. Also it would keep things neater by not having to replicate the iPhone directory tree. XML is perfect for this. His example above is pretty perfect. The only thing I would say is to not be so specific with what type of file it is. So instead of <sound></sound> just have <file></file>

Also, having a file that lists all modifications that the bundle makes is good for uninstalling bundles. If your program tracks this on its own, then the current method is good.

To me, it seems cleaner.

I haven't gotten to try you tool yet, but I am looking forward to it.

-Matt
    Last edited by mattjp88; 08-13-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattjp88 View Post
    The only thing I would say is to not be so specific with what type of file it is. So instead of <sound></sound> just have <file></file>
    I agree, something like this:

Code:

<file>
           <type>UI Sound</type>
        </file>

<file>
           <type>Icon</type>
        </file>
    I left a type in there so some application that previews themes knows what it is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cranium View Post
    I agree, something like this:

Code:

<file>
           <type>UI Sound</type>
        </file>

<file>
           <type>Icon</type>
        </file>
    I left a type in there so some application that previews themes knows what it is.
    That is exactly what I had in mind and while I may have said icons, clearly any file inside the Theme folder could be put into place, with the right 'plist' or file list.

PS I have grandiose plans for this app, I just need my programming skills to catch up.
    PPS I also have plans for developers to include a 'blank' and/or 'default' icon that could be placed in unknown apps. Of course the new "Launcher.app" has put a new spin on what we need to display on the home screen.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattjp88 View Post
    I'm not sure how exactly you are managing the themes. If you are just replacing the files, or if you are tracking which files get changed. But I have to agree with cranium. Having one file to keep track of all files in a theme would allow for easier tracking of files. Also it would keep things neater by not having to replicate the iPhone directory tree. XML is perfect for this. His example above is pretty perfect. The only thing I would say is to not be so specific with what type of file it is. So instead of <sound></sound> just have <file></file>

Also, having a file that lists all modifications that the bundle makes is good for uninstalling bundles. If your program tracks this on its own, then the current method is good.

To me, it seems cleaner.

I haven't gotten to try you tool yet, but I am looking forward to it.

-Matt
    Dont you people realize that writing a huge XML file defeats the purpose of making it an easy to adopt standard? By replicating the iPhone filesystem everyone knows exactly what the standard is. As for uninstalling capability that is a great idea. I added a "Version" of my themes in the bundle which uninstalls the theme back to the stock files, but it will only help if you have overwritten a iphone that is virtually stock or plan on reskinning with another .ipb
    BluewoodBoarder!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can someone please explain how to get the files on your iphone in simple terms that does not require a degree in coding?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdoconne View Post
    can someone please explain how to get the files on your iphone in simple terms that does not require a degree in coding?
    Try the tutorial i posted here:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2532
    BluewoodBoarder!

previously known as amalone87
    Thanks

Using .ipb system would it be possible to add more stuff besides icons, dock, displayorder.plist? I want battery icons, carrier icons, etc...Let me know if you know if this is possible.
    Last edited by unknownentry; 08-17-2007 at 10:16 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amalone87 View Post
    Using .ipb system would it be possible to add more stuff besides icons, dock, displayorder.plist? I want battery icons, carrier icons, etc...Let me know if you know if this is possible.
    YES! You can add any file. Check out my MountainDew theme it includes carrier icons, system sounds, calculator, dialer, etc. Its really easy to make a more "complete" theme/skin using ipb's
    BluewoodBoarder!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bluewoodboarder For This Useful Post:

unknownentry (08-18-2007)

previously known as amalone87
    Thanks

I figured you could add things, but I wasn't going to try it and mess everything up. Especially since I just had got it working right for me. Thanks for the info, that will really help out a lot.
    Last edited by unknownentry; 08-18-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks

could someone, preferably the creator, put together an .ipb system for "The Whole Matrix" theme? it's a pretty awesome theme but i just really dont want to spend the time putting it in piece by piece, cuz i'm lazy like that

EDIT: nvm, daerid is gonna do it for me
    Last edited by footballfanatic28; 08-23-2007 at 12:11 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jonny202003's Avatar
    Thanks

i installed active perl the default way without modifying anything in the installation for windows and i cant figure out what to do! doo i open a windows command prompt? cause it doesnt recognize the installipb.pl command

EDIT:

Nevermind it started working now for some reason o_0
    Last edited by Jonny202003; 08-27-2007 at 11:50 PM.