Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unable to jailbreak 1.1.1

Default Unable to jailbreak 1.1.1
    So, I've tried 4 different ways, and reset back to 1.0.2 then reupped 1.1.1 a total of 14 times since yesterday, but I still can't get 1.1.1 to jailbreak.

I've tried the wiki method. I tried iDemocracy, and Jailbait. Not a single one of the methods worked and I'm at my wits' end. I believe the Jailbait to be the "most successful" based on how far it got, but I'm not entirely sure. The tiff crashes Safari just as it should, then Jailbait does its thing. Copies the data from the phone, fixes it all up, and then uploads the patched firmware (or so it says). Then it asks me to restart, and does some more stuff, then asks me to restart two more times.

When it comes back up for the last time, and I click continue, it prompts me for the IP Address of the phone, to which I give the correct information. Then it proceeds to attempt to SCP into the phone, but it can't make a connection. It just spams "connection failed" about 10 times and then closes.

What is causing this, and how can I get 1.1.1 jailbroken and get all of my apps installed once again? Any help is appreciated, but please do not suggest that I just keep retrying as I'm on the 15th reflash (it is currently clean 1.1.1) and have no desire to repeat past events unless someone has advice that differs from the afore mentioned jailbreaking methods.

try the other method where you dont have to use the tiff exploit its real simple use the guides here in mmi what are you using windows or mac

Quote Originally Posted by thebambino View Post
    try the other method where you dont have to use the tiff exploit its real simple use the guides here in mmi what are you using windows or mac
    Windows: and which method are you referring to? If you are talking about the method in the Wiki, I stated that I tried that as my very first attempt. Where you do 1.0.2 jailbreak, and move a folder? Yeah, that didn't work.

Ugh.. all the things out rarely work. I have tried many too.. and have restored a lot.

If you check my signature, and support him.. he is making a program to jailbreak and more... he plans on getting it out at the beginning of november.
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

can i ask what didn't work for the method in the wiki?

that's the method i used, and the only part that didn't work for me was ssh, and after doing some digging i found the answer to that problem, and then everything has been working fine since. if that's the case, i'll dig around for the link to the ssh problem fix.
    Peter: "Brian! There's a message in my alphabits! It says 'OOOOOOOOO'!!!!!"
    Brian: "Peter...those are Cheerios."

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps

Quote Originally Posted by rianbattle View Post
    can i ask what didn't work for the method in the wiki?

that's the method i used, and the only part that didn't work for me was ssh, and after doing some digging i found the answer to that problem, and then everything has been working fine since. if that's the case, i'll dig around for the link to the ssh problem fix.
    Everything up to the point where you update the phone. After updating I could no longer SSH into the phone to access any of the files.

Quote Originally Posted by Criss View Post
    Everything up to the point where you update the phone. After updating I could no longer SSH into the phone to access any of the files.
    right...after you update the phone ssh is no longer on your phone. the next guide after you finish the jailbreaking process puts ssh back onto your phone...

the link to the next guide is at the bottom of the jailbreaking 1.1.1 guide.

the guide has you go back down to 1.0.2 if you aren't on it already, do the symlink thing with renaming the folders and whatnot, then update, and use the iphuc program to run the "putjailbreak" command which then re-jailbreaks your phone. then you go to the next guide which installs ssh back onto your phone, then the next guide installs the bsd subsystem which is a whole bunch of shell commands, and the next guide after that reinstalls installer for you, and shows how to take the symlink out.

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps

right...after you update the phone ssh is no longer on your phone. the next guide after you finish the jailbreaking process puts ssh back onto your phone...

the link to the next guide is at the bottom of the jailbreaking 1.1.1 guide.

the guide has you go back down to 1.0.2 if you aren't on it already, do the symlink thing with renaming the folders and whatnot, then update, and use the iphuc program to run the "putjailbreak" command which then re-jailbreaks your phone. then you go to the next guide which installs ssh back onto your phone, then the next guide installs the bsd subsystem which is a whole bunch of shell commands, and the next guide after that reinstalls installer for you, and shows how to take the symlink out.
    I'll try the wiki method once more, but I've done this so many times now I honestly can't remember which part was hanging with the wiki method. I want to say it's actually the part where you move Media to Media.old. I also ran into a problem last night where the phone would not restore to 1.0.2, and then it didn't want to reflash 1.1.1. I finally got it to take after about an hour of trying, but I think the phone's memory is having trouble after all the flashing since Wednesday.

when you go to re-try, pm me if you have problems and i'll try to help you through it. i know i had a few problems myself and had to read in between a couple lines here and there to get it to work for me.

Guides:

when you go to re-try, pm me if you have problems and i'll try to help you through it. i know i had a few problems myself and had to read in between a couple lines here and there to get it to work for me.
    http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Dev..._1.0.2_Windows

That's the guide I was following. After I update the phone to 1.1.1, iphuc is unable to do the putfile rdisk part. I don't remember the exact error, but I think it was something to the effect of unable to write file.

Try this:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10176

I did it yesterday and it is very easy. Be sure to do a factory restore in iTunes first, installing 1.1.1 firmware and setting it up as a new phone. Then use the program. It litteraly walks you through the whole process.

dumb question but...when your phone is on 1.0.2 and you are doing the symlink, itunes is running behind your ssh program while you type the commands to do the symlink, correct?

i missed that part when i did it the first time and it wouldn't work for me. you have to open itunes and don't hit anything, open your ssh program and do the symlink, then close your ssh program and bring itunes back up and then upgrade.

also, when doing the symlink commands, check to make sure that the new directory is created and then check to make sure that the link was created. you should see Media.old show up after the first command, then the Media folder should have a shortcut arrow on it.

Guides:

Quote Originally Posted by pmas View Post
    Try this:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10176

I did it yesterday and it is very easy. Be sure to do a factory restore in iTunes first, installing 1.1.1 firmware and setting it up as a new phone. Then use the program. It litteraly walks you through the whole process.
    Jailbait is the same thing, and it didn't work.

dumb question but...when your phone is on 1.0.2 and you are doing the symlink, itunes is running behind your ssh program while you type the commands to do the symlink, correct?

i missed that part when i did it the first time and it wouldn't work for me. you have to open itunes and don't hit anything, open your ssh program and do the symlink, then close your ssh program and bring itunes back up and then upgrade.

also, when doing the symlink commands, check to make sure that the new directory is created and then check to make sure that the link was created. you should see Media.old show up after the first command, then the Media folder should have a shortcut arrow on it.
    Yeah when I issue the move command ("mv") in the terminal, it just spits back about unable to perform operation or something to that effect. I assume this means the file system is locked and it is unable to read/write to it. What can I do to make the "mv" command work?

Quote Originally Posted by Criss View Post
    Yeah when I issue the move command ("mv") in the terminal, it just spits back about unable to perform operation or something to that effect. I assume this means the file system is locked and it is unable to read/write to it. What can I do to make the "mv" command work?
    do you have the BSD Subsystem installed from Installer? that's the first thing that comes to mind. you can connect via ssh when you're on 1.0.2 correct? check in your /bin directory and see if you can see the mv file. if not, i believe the bsd subsystem is in the downloads section on this site, trying copying that in there and making sure the permissions are set to 0755 for it.

Guides:

do you have the BSD Subsystem installed from Installer? that's the first thing that comes to mind. you can connect via ssh when you're on 1.0.2 correct? check in your /bin directory and see if you can see the mv file. if not, i believe the bsd subsystem is in the downloads section on this site, trying copying that in there and making sure the permissions are set to 0755 for it.
    Yep, had all that working before hand. This isn't my first trip down jailbreak lane, I've been running NES.app since it was released as a beta. I know what I'm doing, and how SSH / BSD and all that works. I frequently used SSH to drop ringtones onto my phone before all this 1.1.1 mess. I avoided upgrading to 1.1.1 after seeing everyone else having bricked phones, and finally decided to "man up" and try it out this week. Now I'm regretting having ever started down this path of 1.1.1.

all you have to do is revirginize your 1.0.2, update to 1.1.1 (legit way) through itunes, then follow one of the guides.

most recently, i used this with success... http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12024

revans stuff is top notch as well

EDIT: forgot to mention you should restore to 1.0.2 after revirginizing.. (hold alt or shift while clicking restore button and choosing a saved 1.0.2 firmware)

if you need help just PM me i can get you to 1.1.1 no problems

Quote Originally Posted by hernz View Post
    all you have to do is revirginize your 1.0.2, update to 1.1.1 (legit way) through itunes, then follow one of the guides.

most recently, i used this with success... http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12024

revans stuff is top notch as well

EDIT: forgot to mention you should restore to 1.0.2 after revirginizing.. (hold alt or shift while clicking restore button and choosing a saved 1.0.2 firmware)

if you need help just PM me i can get you to 1.1.1 no problems
    Didn't work. After the first step where it is reading the phone's flash, it gets to the end and says:

"getfile: Failed to read from remote file: 12"
    >>Nothing left to do. Exiting

Then it proceeds to the patching part. Patches, asks me to reboot, I do so then it says:

Will output 1024 bit rsa secret key to 'dropbear_rsa_host_key"
    Generating key, this may take a while...
    couldn't create new file dropbear_rsa_host_key
    Reason: File exists
    Will output 1024 bit dss secret key to 'dropbear_dss_host_key"
    Generating key, this may take a while...
    Couldn't create new file dropbear_dss_host_key
    Reason: File exists

Then it goes on and writes a bunch of files, asks me to restart twice, writes a few more files, prompts me for the IP address. Then asks me if I want to store the key, I said yes. Appears to do some more patching, says restart and run anySIM to complete, but anySIM isn't there.

Edit: It appears to have worked as installer.app is there. Is it safe to restore my backup of my phone numbers and stuff or is this going to reset the phone into an unjailbroken state?
    Last edited by Criss; 10-26-2007 at 07:45 PM.

haven't tried restoring... i usually have my contacts in outlook and music in itunes all ready for fresh setup.

by the way what network are you using? are you jailbreaking just for the apps or so you can use service?

Quote Originally Posted by hernz View Post
    haven't tried restoring... i usually have my contacts in outlook and music in itunes all ready for fresh setup.

by the way what network are you using? are you jailbreaking just for the apps or so you can use service?
    How do you get your contacts and music from outlook/itunes without restoring a backup?

AT&T, and yeah just for apps.
    Last edited by Criss; 10-26-2007 at 10:20 PM.

synced my contacts before i upgraded. for music i saved playlists before i upgraded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast