Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skinning More Interfaces

Default Skinning More Interfaces
    I've been working for a while on trying to change the overall look of my iPhone by editing the .png files and replacing them inside the phone. I've gotten mixed results.

http://cliqklabs.com/iphone_tricks/c...ier_logos.html

After using the above tutorial, I thought I had the idea down and wanted to do some more skinning! I've managed to change the carrier text, gray/red/green slider bars, and the "delete" button on the dialer. And using a tutorial from the forum here, I made a black widow spider theme for my sliders and menu, but here's where I'm running into problems:

My first project to try to change was the default dialer for the phone. I used Manzana and went through each image in the /Applications/MobilePhone.app folder and replaced the files. I rebooted my iPhone (all excited) and when it restarted, I ended up looking at the same dialer menu as before (except the modified delete button).

I noticed that when I first opened the dialer, I caught a glimpse of my modified image, but then the default png files replaced my custom one.

I've tried to think of why this is happening and here's all I can come up with. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the situation.

1) The files that I'm changing are being checked as the phone boots to make sure they're the default files (checked by file size maybe?) and are being replaced from an internal backup.

2) The files aren't being loaded from the /Applications/MobilePhone.app/XXX.png locations.

I noticed that within the /Applications/MobilePhone.app folder there exists "MobilePhonePackedImages.artwork" so it could be loading them from there.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or experiences with this? Anything is appreciated. ^^

iPhone? More like MyPhone Shimizu1006's Avatar
    Thanks

Im not excatly sure what happened but when I was modifing the calculator interface on my iphone I was getting a 2 second flash of the default interface and then mine would appear. The reason I got the glimpse of the default is because that image it was showing was the image it shows while the calculator is still loading. So maybe you only edited the "default" image that the phone shows while the actual app is still loading.

OK, I've gone through every file that could have any remotely imaginable effect on the "dialer" screen, and I still can't get it to change. What the hell am I missing here?

Could these files be the cause:

/Applications/MobilePhone.app/MobilePhonePackagedImages.artwork
    /Applications/MobilePhone.app/MobilePhone
    /Applications/MobilePhone.app/Info.plist
    /Applications/MobilePhone.app/PkgInfo

I'm thinking that it might be getting some of the images from this file instead of loading from the .png files in the folder, but then why would the images be in the folder to begin with?

The other thought that I had was that the .png files were being overwritten by stuff from the package as the phone boots, BUT the file sizes don't revert back to the original size (they stay the same as the modified image.)

Has anyone successfully skinned the phone interface yet? I'm going for total customizability. ^_^

-edit-
    shimizu1006: Thanks, I got the calculator icon working right.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I spent some time on this about 2 weeks ago, then put it on hold for discovering other mods. The same thing happens for the qwerty keyboards as well. I have said this many times, with iphone interfacew and the windows gui tool, it still isnt showing us all the file nor the file structures. We have not been able to find any of the animations, except one that is masked as a .mov file, also could be in one of the files you mentioned above could be something that is making the keypad a read only file but that doesnt really make sense because u can change it it just doesnt show

Well, I found out what was making the camera not change, and the notepad etc. There are files in the /System/Library/Frameworks/XxxUI.framework folders that are the *actual* files. The ones in the Applications directory seem to be placeholders that show up while the app is loading.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sindern For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (07-24-2007)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Ah ha! Good find....

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by Sindern View Post
    I've been working for a while on trying to change the overall look of my iPhone by editing the .png files and replacing them inside the phone. I've gotten mixed results.

http://cliqklabs.com/iphone_tricks/c...ier_logos.html

After using the above tutorial, I thought I had the idea down and wanted to do some more skinning! I've managed to change the carrier text, gray/red/green slider bars, and the "delete" button on the dialer. And using a tutorial from the forum here, I made a black widow spider theme for my sliders and menu, but here's where I'm running into problems:

My first project to try to change was the default dialer for the phone. I used Manzana and went through each image in the /Applications/MobilePhone.app folder and replaced the files. I rebooted my iPhone (all excited) and when it restarted, I ended up looking at the same dialer menu as before (except the modified delete button).

I noticed that when I first opened the dialer, I caught a glimpse of my modified image, but then the default png files replaced my custom one.

I've tried to think of why this is happening and here's all I can come up with. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the situation.

1) The files that I'm changing are being checked as the phone boots to make sure they're the default files (checked by file size maybe?) and are being replaced from an internal backup.

2) The files aren't being loaded from the /Applications/MobilePhone.app/XXX.png locations.

I noticed that within the /Applications/MobilePhone.app folder there exists "MobilePhonePackedImages.artwork" so it could be loading them from there.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or experiences with this? Anything is appreciated. ^^

I have somewhat a fix to your problem.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1133

Thanks

I have a question? Has anyone managed to open the "MobilePhonePackedImages.artwork" file? I've been trying to open it but no luck. Or am I just being stupid and this file can't be opened at all? The thing is, its a 1.35 MB file so it has to contain a lot.

Any help opening the file is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by itzwiL View Post
    I have a question? Has anyone managed to open the "MobilePhonePackedImages.artwork" file? I've been trying to open it but no luck. Or am I just being stupid and this file can't be opened at all? The thing is, its a 1.35 MB file so it has to contain a lot.

Any help opening the file is much appreciated.
    anyone?
    Last edited by itzwiL; 07-28-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost