+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Site Policy?

is a discussion within the

Site Suggestions | Feedback

forums, a part of the

Chit Chat

section;
Originally Posted by Simon This is not a debate about whether or not it should be allowed or not. The fact is it was created and mostly used for syncing
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Site Policy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    This is not a debate about whether or not it should be allowed or not. The fact is it was created and mostly used for syncing cracked apps. Your legitimate uses make no difference. This site has a no warez policy. That tool was made to allow warez to be installed. Simple as that. If you have a further need to debate this I suggest contacting the site owners, their site, their rules. This thread has nothing to do with it in any case so discussing it here is also off topic. Any further off topic discussion with regard to app sync will simply be deleted.
    I'm a little confused on the site policy here. Some tweaks are not allowed to be talked about yet other tweaks that accomplish the same task allowed to be discussed and even get their own news thread. Do we have double standards on this site? Or do you they take money from developers to "look the other way"? Why is protube so welcomed yet pandora downloader is shunned? Protube even gets its own news threads? I don't get it, protube can accomplish the same thing pandora downloader does. Can someone shed some light on this? Is one more "legal" than the other??

Also I couldn't find any "facts" that you claimed. Maybe it is your opinion? Perhaps you can point me to where the developer said that he created it to pirate apps? Otherwise I'm pretty sure it's not a "fact" but speculation/your opinion.

Associating everyone who talks about the tweak with piracy is wrong if you can't prove that it was created solely for piracy. Not to mention there are many double standards when it comes to piracy and this website. It seems they are only majorly concerned with app piracy and to a much less extent music piracy. While video & photo piracy goes on and even encouraged with news articles on protube & instahancer. Intahancer allows you to save photos from Instagram. All of those photos are copyright protected by their owners yet MMi encourages everyone to download away! Tell me please, how can you justify this?

Also this post is not really a discussion of the tweak but more of me asking for clarity of policy. It should not be deleted, deleting this post tells me this site doesn't want to be clear on it's policies. Mods should be well informed on policies that they are supposed to enforce so I'm pretty sure one of the mods should be able to address my questions.
    Last edited by djaquapimp; 03-04-2013 at 04:39 AM.
    mod/edit links removed.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 7,004 Posts

Most of what you are asking here can only be asked to the owners of the site. The moderators just enforce their rules, not explain their policy.
    I will address your question of my using the word "fact" though with a question.
    Who created app sync and why?

Green Apple
    Thanks

So then the mods here willingly turn the other cheek on piracy in the forms of photos, video, and music so long as the owners are ok with it?

What exactly have y'all been told to enforce?

Is there any legal issue anyone is aware of that is exempting protube? I could make a strong argument/analogy for why protube should be banned based on why apps*** is. They are both tools that can be used both legally and illegally to pirate. So why is one praised here?
    Last edited by djaquapimp; 03-04-2013 at 05:32 AM.
    mod/edit links removed.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,869 Times in 6,032 Posts

Perhaps reading the forum rules may explain it better.
    Forum Rules

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Perhaps reading the forum rules may explain it better.
    Forum Rules
    Does not do much to answer why protube and instahancer are allowed and even promoted. While pandora downloader and apps*** are not allowed. They are both tools that can be used legally and illegally....
    mod/edit links removed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djaquapimp View Post
    Does not do much to answer why protube and instahancer are allowed and even promoted. While pandora downloader and apps*** are not allowed. They are both tools that can be used legally and illegally....
    I have never used any of those so can't really say what they do. Were they created with the sole purpose of supporting warez?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have never used any of those so can't really say what they do. Were they created with the sole purpose of supporting warez?
    Was app sync created for the sole purpose of warez? Show me where the creator said so? I know they all can be used both for warez reasons and legit.
    mod/edit links removed.

Thanks

Was app sync created for the sole purpose of warez? Show me where the creator said so? I know they all can be used both for warez reasons and legit.
    I'm asking you. Prove to me that it wasn't created in the first place and mostly used for warez.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm asking you. Prove to me that it wasn't created in the first place and mostly used for warez.
    Lol. Neither of us can. So all we can say for sure is that they all have legit and illegitimate uses.

But that still leaves us without an explanation for pandora downloader.....
    mod/edit links removed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Show me the creator at all and where they have a page to check on. A google search leads to nothing but piracy when trying to find that info.

Thanks

Lol. Neither of us can. So all we can say for sure is that they all have legit and illegitimate uses.

But that still leaves us without an explanation for pandora downloader.....
    What does pandora downloader do?

Green Apple
    Thanks

What does pandora downloader do?
    Unlimited skips, no ads, downloads any song currently listening to. Protube does the same thing with the added bonus of videos!
    mod/edit links removed.

Thanks

Both of these threads need to be closed, there is no debate, it is what it is, forum rules.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Both of these threads need to be closed, there is no debate, it is what it is, forum rules.
    I think we deserve clarity, which is what this thread is about.
    mod/edit links removed.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Blah this thread needs to go

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Blah this thread needs to go
    Before telling us why pandora downloader is not allowed while protube & instahancer are? none of you have addressed protube or instahancer!
    mod/edit links removed.

Thanks

I think we deserve clarity, which is what this thread is about.
    The site owner has already responded, read his post and the rules and it should shed some light.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,224 Posts

Or do you they take money from developers to "look the other way"?
    lol, no.

Why is protube so welcomed yet pandora downloader is shunned? ... Is one more "legal" than the other??
    Actually, kind of yes. The major reason is YouTube is largely user-created content, while Pandora is largely copyrighted music. There are, of course, also many instances of copyrighted work on YouTube (although many of those YouTube pulls because they are illegally posted), but the large majority is user-created.

...there are many double standards when it comes to piracy and this website. It seems they are only majorly concerned with app piracy and to a much less extent music piracy...
    While we do not claim to be legal experts, many of the rules we create are, of course, based on our own best judgment. The site is, at the end of the day (well, at all times of the day, really), ours, and we define the rules. If we feel 99.9% of the conversations about a tool are piracy related, and decide to disallow conversation about it because of that, it is 100% our decision. We stand by those, and in fact have often changed them in the past after discussion. I'm sure App Sync has an infinitesimally small amount of users who use it purely for wholesome, apple-pie, wonderful reasons, but it's just not the case we've seen with regards to MMi.

Intahancer allows you to save photos from Instagram. All of those photos are copyright protected by their owners yet MMi encourages everyone to download away!
    While again I'm not claiming to be a legal expert, I don't think downloading a photo from Instagram is violating a copyright anymore than when I download my friend's photo from Facebook is, or a random stranger's photo from Flickr which I like.

Also this post is not really a discussion of the tweak but more of me asking for clarity of policy. It should not be deleted, deleting this post tells me this site doesn't want to be clear on it's policies. Mods should be well informed on policies that they are supposed to enforce so I'm pretty sure one of the mods should be able to address my questions.
    Mods definitely do not make all the policy decisions, although most are shaped by their feedback. They are, after all, the people who keep this place running. Cody and I are always waist deep in code and administration stuff (yes, we're on the site every day, even if we don't post).

Assuming a mod has full details on why we choose certain policies is like asking the guy at the Genius Bar at Apple why Apple has certain corporate policies. They very well may have a great thought on it from experience or previous conversations, but they definitely didn't cause them to be put in place nor should they be held responsible for them.
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 03-04-2013 at 03:07 PM.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (03-04-2013), Simon (03-04-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

With regards to Flickr and downloading someone's photo, Flickr allows you to set the copyright on the material published there. You could very easily be violating some random guys copyright if you pirate one of those images.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post
    lol, no.

Actually, kind of yes. The major reason is YouTube is largely user-created content, while Pandora is largely copyrighted music. There are, of course, also many instances of copyrighted work on YouTube (although many of those YouTube pulls because they are illegally posted), but the large majority is user-created.

While we do not claim to be legal experts, many of the rules we create are, of course, based on our own best judgment. The site is, at the end of the day (well, at all times of the day, really), ours, and we define the rules. If we feel 99.9% of the conversations about a tool are piracy related, and decide to disallow conversation about it because of that, it is 100% our decision. We stand by those, and in fact have often changed them in the past after discussion. I'm sure App Sync has an infinitesimally small amount of users who use it purely for wholesome, apple-pie, wonderful reasons, but it's just not the case we've seen with regards to MMi.

While again I'm not claiming to be a legal expert, I don't think downloading a photo from Instagram is violating a copyright anymore than when I download my friend's photo from Facebook is, or a random stranger's photo from Flickr which I like.

Mods definitely do not make all the policy decisions, although most are shaped by their feedback. They are, after all, the people who keep this place running. Cody and I are always waist deep in code and administration stuff (yes, we're on the site every day, even if we don't post).

Assuming a mod has full details on why we choose certain policies is like asking the guy at the Genius Bar at Apple why Apple has certain corporate policies. They very well may have a great thought on it from experience or previous conversations, but they definitely didn't cause them to be put in place nor should they be held responsible for them.
    But downloading copyrighted photos isn't any more illegal than downloading anything else copyrighted is it not? Which in reality are all legal aren't they? Isn't it when you redistribute the material for personal or business gain when it becomes illegal? If this is the case then I don't see a reason to ban pandora downloader.

Also I found nothing to support that the majority of the content on youtube Is user created. Even so the creators still hold copyrights. Regardless of who it is

Quote Originally Posted by davesnothere11 View Post
    With regards to Flickr and downloading someone's photo, Flickr allows you to set the copyright on the material published there. You could very easily be violating some random guys copyright if you pirate one of those images.
    But they don't seem to take photo piracy seriously....
    mod/edit links removed.