+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wtf mmi???

is a discussion within the

Site Suggestions | Feedback

forums, a part of the

Chit Chat

section;
Alright, i'm not one to complain, but this can't keep happening. To start off, I use Google Reader in Firefox to keep up with MMI at work. So today I
    Thanks

Angry Wtf mmi???
    Alright, i'm not one to complain, but this can't keep happening. To start off, I use Google Reader in Firefox to keep up with MMI at work. So today I go to view the new posts and bam... vagina and boobies... Not that i'm personally offended by this, but it can't continue to happen while i'm at work. I've been noticing a tremendous amount of spam ads from the mmi rss feeds i subscribe to and will start getting my info elsewhere if this continues. Also, it was posted at 11:48am and as of 2:17pm it's still up although I don't know if the time zone makes a difference. None of my other forums/feeds have spam like this. I don't wanna post a link for the mods to remove it for fear someone else may "stumble upon it", but Mods, its in the "iPhone Modding/AT&T section". Please remove...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,170 Posts

Noted
    We mods kill hundreds of spammers everyday, but sometime they slip through unnoticed for a bit. We ask for your and everyone else's help by reporting them to us.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Yes, the spam problem here is quite ridiculous now.

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    Noted
    We mods kill hundreds of spammers everyday, but sometime they slip through unnoticed for a bit. We ask for your and everyone else's help by reporting them to us.
    We can't report them. There's no [Report] button on first posts, only on the reply posts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Yes, the spam problem here is quite ridiculous now.
    Yeah, we need our ip ban button fix. Then they will stay banned

We can't report them. There's no [Report] button on first posts, only on the reply posts.
    You should be able to report them too, others do. Let me check on that

Thread moved to Site suggestions/Feedback
    Last edited by Broomhead; 06-27-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks

I don't see any way to report it (unless i'm missing something). I CAN thank them or share it on FB & Twitter though For the mods, its still up here: (caution NSFW) http://modmyi.com/forums/t/769431-10...88-1085-a.html

Thanks

It seems the menu is different for the first person and for the replies. You'll see the reply person has the little black exclamation symbol, but the first post doesn't. I'm on Firefox.

Also strange is that, in the replies, the [Thanks] button is this funky little symbol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

I'll show you guys what i do to report spam for the first post once i find a spammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stray For This Useful Post:

Broomhead (06-27-2011), Simon (06-27-2011)

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    ... We ask for your and everyone else's help by reporting them to us.
    This ole man can't find the button anymore (or type correctly either)
    Last edited by Mes; 06-27-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks

I was hoping for a smaller one but this is basically what you do. Post "spam" and report yourself.

Dude T.M.I

Thanks

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, but I don't like to inflate my post count with one-word posts

Thanks

anything that will work and who cares about post count? doesn't matter about anything haha
    Dude T.M.I

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stray For This Useful Post:

Mes (06-27-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,784 Times in 6,877 Posts

Until the report button is fixed on first posts you can always PM a moderator to take care of it. Just click on the site leaders link in forums and see who is online and PM them about it.

That is actually a pretty smart way of doing it Stray. Thanks for posting that tip for people. Oh and dont worry about it inflating your post counts since once the thread is deleted your post count will go back down by 1

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Mes (06-27-2011)

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thanks x98car (and Stray). I'll use this until the button returns

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Until the report button is fixed on first posts you can always PM a moderator to take care of it. Just click on the site leaders link in forums and see who is online and PM them about it.

That is actually a pretty smart way of doing it Stray. Thanks for posting that tip for people. Oh and dont worry about it inflating your post counts since once the thread is deleted your post count will go back down by 1
    Np
    Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Thanks x98car (and Stray). I'll use this until the button returns
    Dude T.M.I

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    anything that will work and who cares about post count? doesn't matter about anything haha
    I care about post count. Every time I make a comment it's searchable on MMi. I don't want inane comments I make to clutter the search results. If more people followed this rule we would have less people asking for help that has already been answered but their search results have been muddled.

I don't want to be a part of the problem. This isn't AIM, GTalk, or a personal message board.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

His suggestion is a really goodwork-around for the time being. Als as mentioned by Simon that post and the spam post are deleted as soon as we get to them; the whole thread gets deleted. So they do not show up in the search results.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,784 Times in 6,877 Posts

I care about post count. Every time I make a comment it's searchable on MMi. I don't want inane comments I make to clutter the search results. If more people followed this rule we would have less people asking for help that has already been answered but their search results have been muddled.

I don't want to be a part of the problem. This isn't AIM, GTalk, or a personal message board.
    His method will not leave you with "clutter" posts. As I said once we have been alerted the thread is deleted, along with the post that was used to inform us of the spam. Hopefully this issue with not being able to report first posts will be fixed soon, but until then Stray has come up with a very good work around.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Stray (06-27-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

One thing to remember is that we used to be able to ban spammers by simply banning a country or ip range and it would wipe out 80% of our spam, but as of 2011's beginning many spammers have started using USA proxy servers for spam and now you can't ban them at all. If you ban any USA ip range you lose areas of coverage of the US. There are unlimited ip's and unlimited spammers and we HAVE to do it one at a time, as they show up.

This is why you see more spam in 2011. The fact you see more here than in some forums is a testament to the huge power of MMI's reach in the search engines as one of the biggest I-device sites out there.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    One thing to remember is that we used to be able to ban spammers by simply banning a country or ip range and it would wipe out 80% of our spam, but as of 2011's beginning many spammers have started using USA proxy servers for spam and now you can't ban them at all. If you ban any USA ip range you lose areas of coverage of the US. There are unlimited ip's and unlimited spammers and we HAVE to do it one at a time, as they show up.

This is why you see more spam in 2011. The fact you see more here than in some forums is a testament to the huge power of MMI's reach in the search engines as one of the biggest I-device sites out there.
    I have felt this pain on forums I've managed. One method I have found to be extremely sucessful on both VB and IPB based forums is an addon for the registration screen that used things like A) a row a pictures of basic objects and asks you to click on one that looks like a certain object (e.g., click on the picture of a boat), and similar schemes. I've seen this used either in addition to the normal captcha/verification-string or in place of it, and anytime I've deployed it on a forum I manage or own, which has virtually eliminated the bot-based spam registrations, with an occasional one here or there, most likely from someone who manually registered, but are rare.

I definitely recommend something like this, as it will prevent a lot of the automatic registrations. No captcha (that a human can still be expected to decipher) is bot-proof. I learned a long time ago not to rely solely on them, but to use (possibly in addition to captcha) some sort of association method like what I described.