Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My personal feedback

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

Default My personal feedback
    This feedback is just my personal opinion and therefore does not claim to be the ultimate measure of correctness.
    Coming to MMi for quite some time now, browsing and reading threads of interest and occationally posting something myself, I just can not lose this feeling to have entered an "Old Boys Club" every time I come to MMi. What I mean by "Old Boys Club" is that there is a lot of shoulder padding amongst established MMi members, especially in the Design and Theme creation section. One MMi member ranged "Theme Creator" post a new thread and soon there are page full of comments from other "Theme Creator's" like "Very nice...", "How wonderful, as usual..." etc. Whereas you are very very hard pressed to find any comment of a "Theme Creator" in theme threads of outsiders. Adding the suggestion in the "Theme of the week" thread, only to consider themes created by MMi members, posted at MMi and submitted to MMi repo, just completes this "Old Boys Club" picture perfectly.
    I always was thinking that people that got a well deserved rang, should help those that are new to that subject and therefore oversee detail that is much easier to spot by those that have the knowledge, rather then ignore those "noobs" and hang out with their fellow rang holders.
    True, MMi is the first and biggest iPhone forum around, but it is not the only one.

Nobody cares....... jk

The reason that the "Theme Creators" are recognized a lot more is because their themes are a little more than just changing icons. They change the whole feel of the iOS.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 02-18-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Twitter: @tshoults

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, rasputin - I'll look into it.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Cheers Kyle!

@moon#pie I do not have any critisim why people got the rang "Theme Creator". I am very sure the rang is based on their ability to create exquisite, complex and wonderful themes and therefore fully deserve that rang. My critic was that they rather seem to mingle with people on their level and not interested in pointing out/giving solutions or suggestions to noob themers. I also understand that being in contact with people on their level is important to push further development. But why only pass on their knowledge in themes and not in help to beginners.
    That was my personal view.
    But as your first comment said: Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    Cheers Kyle!

@moon#pie I do not have any critisim why people got the rang "Theme Creator". I am very sure the rang is based on their ability to create exquisite, complex and wonderful themes and therefore fully deserve that rang. My critic was that they rather seem to mingle with people on their level and not interested in pointing out/giving solutions or suggestions to noob themers. I also understand that being in contact with people on their level is important to push further development. But why only pass on their knowledge in themes and not in help to beginners.
    That was my personal view.
    But as your first comment said: Who cares?
    I see exactly the opposite. If a newb asks a question, in my experience, they are the first to jump in an help. Plus they don't really spend much time on here anyway.

but, who cares

Thanks
    Thanked 9,887 Times in 6,041 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    I see exactly the opposite. If a newb asks a question, in my experience, they are the first to jump in an help. Plus they don't really spend much time on here anyway.

but, who cares
    Gotta agree with you 100% moon, I believe the OP has completely missed what is actually going on in our threads and forum. Take some time to chat with them and you will see.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,274 Times in 7,007 Posts

Well, i can't speak for the themers as I don't venture in there too much (but I know they are a great bunch of guys/gals). I can however vouch for the jailbreak forums. There are a lot of knowledgable people helping new people all the time (and at least 3 mods on active helping duty almost 24/7). I would consider mmi to be one of the most noob friendly places on the net.

Ooohhhh! Now if you disagree with me, you disagree with Cadi! You know what happened to the last guy to disagree with Cadi? Yeah, me neither. That's why you should be scared!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,887 Times in 6,041 Posts

Just in a cranky mood today, didn't mean to come off negatively, just standing up and saying, I'm very proud of the way members are treated and also welcomed here.
    I go to other sites also, and nothing compares to the support, help and just general friendship that abounds here on MMi.
    My 2 pennies.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (02-21-2011)

Thanks

Hmm ....!
    Maybe I got the wrong impression based on a few experiences and observations. Anyway MMi is a huge place and if it wouldn't be seen positively by the outside, it wouldn't had the success it had and has now, hopefully will have as well in the future.
    I'll keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post

but, who cares
    Yeah that was exactly what I experienced, but always disagreed, twisted every phrase and came over as opposing rather then discussing the subject. In the end I just gave up.
    Thread in question.

MMi is very important for theme creators, as it allows access to a huge user base. For example I made a theme, which got about 6 downloads on my "home" forum (not really a iPhone specific forum!), then Maximus asked me to submit it to iPhoneModding repo, where it got downloaded over 3000 times. Because the iPhoneModding repo gets crawled by the MMi repo it also showed up in the MMi repo and got downloaded over 42,000 times.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 02-22-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    Hmm ....!
    Maybe I got the wrong impression based on a few experiences and observations. Anyway MMi is a huge place and if it wouldn't be seen positively by the outside, it wouldn't had the success it had and has now, hopefully will have as well in the future.
    I'll keep watching.

Yeah that was exactly what I experienced, but always disagreed, twisted every phrase and came over as opposing rather then discussing the subject. In the end I just gave up.
    Thread in question.

MMi is very important for theme creators, as it allows access to a huge user base. For example I made a theme, which got about 6 downloads on my "home" forum (not really a iPhone specific forum!), then Maximus asked me to submit it to iPhoneModding repo, where it got downloaded over 3000 times. Because the iPhoneModding repo gets crawled by the MMi repo it also showed up in the MMi repo and got downloaded over 42,000 times.
    I don't mean to be rude, but they were absolutely right in that thread.

Thanks

No worries, is not considered rude at all.
    So was I, just look at "Sorry, but link outside MMi is not allowed"!
    The code is specific for Safari/iPhone, try opening the links with Firefox, Internet Explorer etc, no other then Safari will display it correctly. That is a fact and that what I tried to say, but each reply from the "Theme Creator" was saying I am wrong, like "THAT is not html, it is html5" (is html5 not html code?)or "how is this specifically developed for Safari? Serious question." This is sooooo simple, a html page only displays correctly in Safari and no other browser, wouldn't this suggest that that html page was specificly written for Safari use in mind? Apparently not, according to the person that was supposed to give help. And that carries on and on ...
    Last edited by rasputin007; 02-22-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

Yah I see both sides... either way, Rasputin is a good guy too who goes way back to ModMyMoto days with the ModMy crew.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

Thanks Kyle, you just said what I thought:
    Same subject, two different viewpoints and both right.
    Maybe we both were just too stubborn to agree that the other one is also right.
    Sorry my bad!