+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Updated rock, bricked phone (iphone 3GS running 3.0 shuts off at logo)

is a discussion within the

Rock Your Phone Support

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
Ok, so here's the deal... I have been a happy owner of one of the first Iphone 3GS's since they came out, and have been using OS 3.0 jailbroken with
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs down Updated rock, bricked phone (iphone 3GS running 3.0 shuts off at logo)
    Ok, so here's the deal... I have been a happy owner of one of the first Iphone 3GS's since they came out, and have been using OS 3.0 jailbroken with blackra1n. I am on ATT, so i have never had the need for an unlock, and have stayed away from newer firmware versions because IMO, nothing is wrong with 3.0, and i have been waiting for 4.0 before making any changes. However, i recently (just about 30 minutes ago) updated my rock applications, restarted my phone, and now it simply turns off after about 5 secs, before getting to the springboard... WHAT DO I DOOOOO!!!!
    Hard restarts have gotten me nowhere, itunes wont recognize it, and i cant get it to stay on long enough for blackrain to re-jailbreak it or anything. i WAS able to get it in DFU mode, however, and am considering upgrading to 3.1.3 and jailbreaking with spirit, (since sauriks server is down, of all the times....) but i would like to avoid that in order to keep my old modem firmware (in case i ever need to unlock in the near future). Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm on the same boat here..

BUMP

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey, it looks like i was able to use sauriks server after all... i am currently restoring my phone to 3.1.2, which will hopefully be able to allow me to jailbreak using blackrain... ill let ya know how things go

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j-stormy View Post
    hey, it looks like i was able to use sauriks server after all... i am currently restoring my phone to 3.1.2, which will hopefully be able to allow me to jailbreak using blackrain... ill let ya know how things go
    Please let me know since I'm still debating on how to proceed, currently I'm phone-less at this time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Same thing happened to me but it would not let me restore to 3.1.2. Had to update to 3.1.3.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j-stormy View Post
    you wont be able to upgrade to 3.1.2 if you havent, at one point, been jailbroken at that exact firmware: 3.1.2. how would saurik's servers have grabbed your SHSH from 3.1.2 if you never had it installed to begin with?

at this point, the easiest thing to do is to go to 3.1.3 and just use spirit to jailbreak.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

Thanks

How did you managed to get your phone in DFU mode, been doing hard reboots and no luck, itunes is not even recognizing my phone. Does any one knows how to get on DFU mode????

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im in the same boat, I have been running blackra1n for ages and havent backed up the phone in ages either, it keeps rebooting after i updated soemthing in Rock. Now it reboots roughly every 10 minutes. After 3 minuites of the reeboot i can access the file system with iphone browser software and the windows prompt to save photos pops up. but in order to upgrade firmware it starts to backup which never completes as the phone restarts. I am at a bit of a loss as I will have to so a complete restore unless anyone has some recommendations. PLEASE HELP

Thanks

NVM I got it in DFU mode now...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok so after reading again it seems upgrading then using spirit is the best idea, can i do this in DFU mode or is there a way to stop itunes backing up the phone before upgrading it? HELP!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Same thing has happened to me after latest rock updates. Iphone 3gs running 3.1.2.

NO idea what to do as I don't even run Itunes on my laptop as I use ubuntu.

Just get a black screen after apple logo on boot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The folks at Rock support have been very helpful, and they mentioned this:
    The 6 updates (or most of them) were part of an update to Cydia and some associated utilities. These updates were not made by us and were posted in a community repo. One of the updates removed some files it shouldn't have and you experienced the result. Once we discovered the issue we have blocked the update to protect all Rock users. We apologize for the inconvenience. We are also working with the maker of the update so we can prevent future issues.

There was an update to Rock.app itself in the last couple days but I assure you that was not the cause of your issue.
    It sounds as if they're saying someone else pooched an update, and Rock was just the unwitting delivery tool for the bad update.

I've restored w/ 3.1.3 and am trying out Spirit. Fingers crossed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How have you managed to restore to 3.1.3? Itunes just keeps telling me it can't contact update server when i'm trying to restore in DFU.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The only funky thing about my system is that I've added this to my /hosts file:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

That's saurik's server, but I added it as a bit of a 'after the horse is out of the barn' sort of thing for the future. Dunno if it'll help or not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Worked it out now, realised it was actually a problem with my girlfriends proxy settings in itunes *PHEW* I have to use her laptop to restore as I run ubuntu on mine and can't get itunes working in VM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool beans. Well, I'm going to reinstall Rock and see what happens. I'm willing to accept their explanation, but as Berya said, "Trust... but verify."

I'll post my results here in case anyone's interested.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chairboy For This Useful Post:

j-stormy (05-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Great stuff, just running spirit now... would be very useful to see your results on rock so I don't have to repeat the last half an hour of panic again :P

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah this pissed me off because i'm going in the army next year and i was going to use my unlocked iphone when abroad. Can't do that know. Lets hope they can crack OS 4.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How did you guys manage to put in DFU mode? Mine will start for 5 seconds, apple logo, then off again. Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by tbertr View Post
    How did you guys manage to put in DFU mode? Mine will start for 5 seconds, apple logo, then off again. Help!!
    Woohooo!! I got it in DFU mode. Secret is to start it normally (power button), wait a second, THEN push both home and lock for 10 seconds, THEN let go of lock.

It may take several tries.
    Last edited by tbertr; 05-06-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tbertr View Post

Woohooo!! I got it in DFU mode. Secret is to start it normally (power button), wait a second, THEN push both home and lock for 10 seconds, THEN let go of lock.

It may take several tries.
    No no My friend you are going about it all wrong.

DFU Mode = When your iphone has anything on screen Like apple logo or if its just on.

1. Press and Hold Power & Home Button for 10 Seconds
    2. KEEP HOLDING Home button But release Power Button.
    3. Your iTunes should detect your phone in DFU Mode. If you see apple logo or iTunes with USB Logo on ur iphone then do it again. Your Phone's Screen Should have NOTHING Displaying on it as if its OFF.