+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Updated rock, bricked phone (iphone 3GS running 3.0 shuts off at logo)

is a discussion within the

Rock Your Phone Support

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
12 hours since I DFU'd + restored to 3.1.3. Ran Spirit to jailbreak, then used Cydia to get Rock again. It's been going great, no deathly updates to knock me
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

12 hours since I DFU'd + restored to 3.1.3. Ran Spirit to jailbreak, then used Cydia to get Rock again.

It's been going great, no deathly updates to knock me out. I don't know if I've gotten everything back or not, but it's running fine.

tldr; 2G iPhone now a 3.1.3 running Rock after a Spirit jailbreak. No probs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am having this same problem. I haven't backed up in forever bc my iMac was boxed up (from moving)...SOOOO mad I am going to lose everything!!! I guess my only option is to restore and update to 3.1.3 and use spirit. UGH!!! I have been phoneless all day and it is driving me crazy!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ALright everyone, heres my update: I was able to successfully get 3.1.2 loaded on my phone through sauriks sever (just edit the host file and addi that line of code from that post in the last page, google it if you dont know how to do that already :P), and then jailbreak with blackrain. Currently restoring all my apps and stuff... lost about a month and a halfs worth of apps and game data that im not sure i will be able to recover . Cydia seems to be working just fine, but im hesitant on re-downloading rock. There seems to be no other way to fix your phone without a DFU mode restore, sadly. Any ideas of how i could get my apps from the app store back on my phone that i lost? It is trying to make me pay for Zenonia 2 all over again! I feel like my arguement wouldnt hold very well with Apple though... "Yeeaaaa, so i jailbroke my phone, managed to totally brick it, and lost a bunch of apps and data restoring it... can i have those back? K thanks!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Same happen to me after the update of rocky cydia phone shuts off after the apple logo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default same Problem
    got the xxxing same problem.
    Did you guys the Restor via the Steps in this Guide:
    Restore iPhone 3GS to 3.1.2 Using SHSHs on File with Cydia | OS X

So is the Restore with this Guide above (i got my SHSHs backed up) save and the right step to get the phone working again?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j-stormy View Post
    Any ideas of how i could get my apps from the app store back on my phone that i lost? It is trying to make me pay for Zenonia 2 all over again! I feel like my arguement wouldnt hold very well with Apple though... "Yeeaaaa, so i jailbroke my phone, managed to totally brick it, and lost a bunch of apps and data restoring it... can i have those back? K thanks!"
    If these are apps you got/bought on iTunes, then they have a record of you already purchasing them. Just go and download the app as if you were going to buy it, and it will say "You have already purchased this, would you like to download it again?" or something similar.

If you don't believe me, try it on a free app that you lost. You won't have to pay Apple twice.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Same issue happened to me when I installed and rebooted this morning after the Rock update. The iPhone 3G (3.1.2) just didn't turn back on after the restart. My Mac died last week, so if I restore I won't be able to get a backup file of my iphone... any way that I can create a backup in its current state?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i keep trying to get into DFU but the logo appears as soon as i push the button. it is like my home button is disabled. it wont let me get into recovery mode either. as soon as i touch the power button the logo comes on. as soon as i plug it into my computer while pushing the home button the logo appears. please help me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow this has just ruined my day...
    1.)Is there anyway for me to backup my iphone information before restoring it(I havent synced in about a month now and have a LOT of new information I can't afford to lose)?

2.)If I can get to the "Plug into iTunes" picture. is there a way I can explore my phone and get backups of my Notes and things?

Edit: I stumbled across this:
    http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/07/i...-loop-restart/

3.)Do you think it might work?
    Last edited by franklinromeo; 05-07-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

10. The Following User Says Thank You to franklinromeo For This Useful Post:

amykat321 (05-07-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I had the same problem with Rock as well. I have a 3GS on 3.1.2 and have never updated to 3.1.3. After watching the forms for a couple of days, I decided to try restoring from a firmware version 3.1.2. My main concern was that all the references to restoring to an older 3.1.2 firmware were referring to those that updated to 3.1.3. Since my case was a little different I wondered if or how that would affect anything. I knew I had my SHSH backed up on Sauriks server (THANKs NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD NEED THAT).

The restore worked fine. There are lots of step by step guides available on the net to restore. I followed one from the ModMyi forums. I think the SHSH part is important because Apple will try to verify that your iphone is allowed to restore that version, that is where Sauriks server comes into play.

DFU mode was tricky, the phone kept going into restore mode where you see the CD and Connect to computer icon on the screen. That is not DFU. When in DFU mode the screen be black and the unit will look powered off but your computer will recognize that it is connected and iTunes will tell you that it has found a phone in restore mode. Just keep holding home after releasing the power button in 10 sec while phone is connected to computer.

Well my phoone is up and running 3.1.2 and still never updated to 3.1.3. I used blackra1n to jailbreak and unlock no problems. Everything is working as it supposed to. Only lost about 2 weeks of data since last back up.

Rock is gone. I just cant take that kind of chance with my iphone anymore. And I don't see any posts claiming that Cydia caused the problem.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HowlerMonky69 For This Useful Post:

Snozzlewad (06-01-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If these are apps you got/bought on iTunes, then they have a record of you already purchasing them. Just go and download the app as if you were going to buy it, and it will say "You have already purchased this, would you like to download it again?" or something similar.

Dude I had noooo idea that would happen... I was always terrified that I would be double charged! Thanks for the info, I got zenonia back

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

omfg im having the exact same problem. iphone 3G 3.1.2. updated about 6-7 apps last night through rock. cant rememeber if rebooted but must have as rock requires you to do this with some new apps. anyway, today my iphone was running quite slow so i decided to reboot it, as i usually do when it runs slow. so through sbsettings i pressed power and then selected reboot. i then left my phone thinking it would reboot. about half an hour later i look at my phone and its off. so i decided to power it on, saw the apple logo come up and thought everything was fine. looked again 2mins later and it was off again.. i then realised that it wouldnt boot up properly. i found this was the exact same problem that alot of people are experiencing, after searching through google. the iphone will power on with the silver apple logo appearing and will then just cut off after 5-10secs. what has pissed me off is that i my contacts will now have gone. is there anyone who knows of a fix for this issue, as i really dont want to restore it and loose my contatcs. i would rather give the phone away for free than loose all my contacts. and no before you ask i didnt perform a backup of the iphone because itunes is installed on my borthers laptop, and i didnt want him accessing my personal files. so please could someone provide some information on this issue, which is causing alot of iphone users problems. thanks in advance, looking forward to your helpful replies.

Quote Originally Posted by franklinromeo View Post
    Anyone know if this will work??? please i really cannot live without my contacts i need them back
    Last edited by wagwan; 05-07-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by franklinromeo View Post
    Edit: I stumbled across this:
    iRecovery: Get Out iPhone from Recovery Mode Loop on Restart | iPhone

3.)Do you think it might work?
    I tried this and it still crashes after the apple logo when it reboots I'm also in the same dilemma as you. Are there any other alternatives to backing up the data without restoring it??? Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

To get it into DFU mode when it automatically keeps rebooting do the following:

Hold the power and home button, then when it shuts off hold just the home button and it should reboot a second time giving you the connect to itunes screen. I recommend leaving it plugged into your PC or MAC while doing this, It worked for my 3.1.3 3GS NON MC model the other night when the bug was first discovered.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

For everyone out there who lost data in the whole Rock debacle:

I'm not sure if Rock is doing anything to help those of us who have data stuck on our new bricks, but it sure as hell looks like they aren't so it might be worth giving after-restore data recovery a shot...

The thread at HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery has more information (look for army113's guide on the 7th page), and looks promising... I haven't tried it yet myself and it looks like a bit of a hassle to set up, but at least it's better than writing all that data off for good.

People have reported success with data recovery up to weeks after the restore, so even if it's already been some time since you did your restore it might still be worth a try.

Best of luck to everyone who got boned in this giant mess - hope you manage to recover at least some of your data!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I Just had and did the same as HowlerMonky69.

FAZIT:
    2 Weeks data lost
    blackr1n Jailbreak and
    cydia install. Installed
    previous cydia apps (some paid one) reinstalled
    and all working well. didn't had to pay again hope it's not only the trial versions. But infinidock had all App icons and settings back that i had before the rock update.
    But backed-up SHSHs on sauriks server is essential, so i hope you all did a backup.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Ditto HowlerMonky69 - ALL!
    Quote Originally Posted by HowlerMonky69 View Post
    I had the same problem with Rock as well. I have a 3GS on 3.1.2 and have never updated to 3.1.3. After watching the forms for a couple of days, I decided to try restoring from a firmware version .........
    My situation/Solution paralleled HowlerMonky69 except he only lost 2 weeks. BUT HE SAID IT BEST....[ Regarding Rock ] "I just cant take that kind of chance with my iphone anymore." AMEN BROTHER! BYE BYE ROCK..1 Brobdingnagian strike and YOU ARE OUT!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12