Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do !NOT! update with rock today

ill be the dummy who tries.. i updated rock today to the new version and rebooted and it was ok.. i just had to replug into blackra1n and run it and it booted up fine.. so im cool .. i just never rebooted it in the past 2 days until the new rock update came out and i updated and all is well..

I got screwed by Rock and restored to 3.1.3, then jailbroke with Spirit and the phone is back the way it was. Perfection! (3GS on Mac)

Gee thanks I found this thread, and I thought I was alone there for a minute:

http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/7...ml#post5230303

Were you able to restore from back up? Were you able to save what was on the phone?
    mrhifi

Hifi, it is possible to restore, but it's a major pain-especially if you've never done it before. The only savior here is that 3.1.3 has now been jailbroken, so you can just boot your phone into recovery mode, connect to Itunes, install 3.1.3, JB it, and you're good to go.

Trust me, this process is easier than doing a restore and then having to reinstall everything you had installed.

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe22 View Post
    Hifi, it is possible to restore, but it's a major pain-especially if you've never done it before. The only savior here is that 3.1.3 has now been jailbroken, so you can just boot your phone into recovery mode, connect to Itunes, install 3.1.3, JB it, and you're good to go.

Trust me, this process is easier than doing a restore and then having to reinstall everything you had installed.
    will you lose data this way? I have not backup up my phone this week and I don't want to lose anything.

No data will be lost, but you will have to use spirit to JB it(takes 5 seconds), and then reinstall rock/cydia and their apps. It's still much easier than a restore IMO.
    Last edited by tahoe22; 05-08-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Well I installed Rock again because Cydia is being bad so yeah no problems so far.

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe22 View Post
    No data will be lost, but you will have to use spirit to JB it(takes 5 seconds), and then reinstall rock/cydia and their apps. It's still much easier than a restore IMO.
    your are wrong. I lost everything. pictures, sms, e-mail, call log, e-mail, and apps. DON'T DO THIS. YOU WILL LOSE IT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by fergusonwilliam View Post
    your are wrong. I lost everything. pictures, sms, e-mail, call log, e-mail, and apps. DON'T DO THIS. YOU WILL LOSE IT ALL.
    By upgrading to 3.1.3 and re-jailbreaking? That doesn't make any sense-at what point was it gone?

FWIW, it worked flawlessly for me on my 3g.

All - please see details here. Recent Rock Issue. As written in the details, while the issue has been stopped currently, we are deeply sorry for the issue and are working hard to prevent this in the future.
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

Guys,

I'm not sure if Rock is doing anything to help those of us who have data stuck on our new bricks, but it sure as hell looks like they aren't so it might be worth giving after-restore data recovery a shot...

The thread at HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery has more information (look for army113's guide on the 7th page), and looks promising... I haven't tried it yet myself and it looks like a bit of a hassle to set up, but at least it's better than writing all that data off for good.

People have reported success with data recovery up to weeks after the restore, so even if it's already been some time since you did your restore it might still be worth a try.

Best of luck to everyone who got boned in this giant mess - hope you manage to recover at least some of your data!

I've updated rock and I'm on 3.1.2 and used blackra1n to jailbreak (a vulnerable device) but I haven't turned my iPod off yet!

Is there a way to save my iPod without restoring as I have lots of betas and files stored on my device I'd prefer not to lose?

I would advise backing up all your data while you still can, and preparing for the worst...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

What Version Of Rock Was The Update Going To Install? 2.52.3? This Is For Reference

If The Version Of Rock Was Lower Than 2.52.3, Then I Updated With No Problems, And Would Be Happy To Find Out A Fix For You Guys.
    Last edited by Halten77; 05-18-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Halten -- it was never a rock update issue (Recent Rock Issue for details) -- but for reference purposes it was 2.51
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i for one have had nothing but issues with Rock. I have restored to a non-Rocked phone and plan to keep it that way. The only times I had no issues were on Cydia only phones. Farewall Rock!!!!!

Hmm that's odd. I updated all 6 with rock because I like the installation process much more with rock, and all was fine...

Unfortunately, this happened to me...

How did you re-jailbreak? it updated me to 3.1.3 and am not sure what to use to jailbreak?

Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    What Version Of Rock Was The Update Going To Install? 2.52.3? This Is For Reference

If The Version Of Rock Was Lower Than 2.52.3, Then I Updated With No Problems, And Would Be Happy To Find Out A Fix For You Guys.
    Unfortunately, this happened to me...

How did you re-jailbreak? it updated me to 3.1.3 and am not sure what to use to jailbreak?
    Last edited by buzz123; 08-25-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123