+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why do so many people hate Rock?

is a discussion within the

Rock Your Phone Support

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
I don't understand why so many people choose choose Cydia over Rock. Everybody is talking about how its so confusing and difficult to use and how they have so many
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Why do so many people hate Rock?
    I don't understand why so many people choose choose Cydia over Rock. Everybody is talking about how its so confusing and difficult to use and how they have so many problems with it but i haven't experience any problems with it yet. And, it has everything Cydia has plus more. The best thing about rock is it doesn't take 3 freaking minutes to start up. AND, you can queue multiple downloads at the same time. I know there's a poll about this but why are so many people against Rock?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

I don't know but IMO rock is better. I use cydia for main stuff though like refreshing sources to see new apps but rock is awesome. But I also like cydia

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Me use both.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I use both too

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

Me too..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Rock or Cydia?
    I don't think anyone should like or dislike Rock or hate Cydia. Overall, we all depending on those two sources for our apps and such. I personally think that the both are awesome. Cydia is a little slower to start-up. but has more stable and dependable. Rock? Well Rock is more faster and useful rather then sourceful like cydia. So I don't think none of the two are better then the other. They just have different style of presenting their sources.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

I like Rock also, I was wondering the same question as you why do so many people talk it down? It works much faster than cydia does for me and has no issues with crashing.

Thanks

I use both. I haven't seen this rampant rock bashing you speak of

maybe it's just a pigment of your imagination. Like mauve or toupe.

iPhone? More like MyPhone youngunn's Avatar
    Thanks

ive heard alot of people bashing it, i think it dates back to when it first came out. but now, it is pretty good. the only thing is rock extensions seem kinda buggy at times. but the features of rock make it worth it...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Considering that Rock managed to brick any phone that updated yesterday, I can understand why.

Thanks

rock has alot of problems...i hear rock crap all the time...like the time peoples devices ran out of memory because a log file was acting funny...sorry rock...thanks but no thanks
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was a strong believer in Rock until yesterday when it turned my phone into a brick for some time:

Do !NOT! update with rock today

iPhone? More like MyPhone youngunn's Avatar
    Thanks

yep my phone got toasted yesterday, thanks to rocks stupid updates. i am no longer using it, and am having to repurchase all my apps thru cydia, cuz, once again, rock is terrible and the licenses cant transfer from rock to cydia. stupid, stupid.

Green Apple
    Thanks

FWIW, you could reinstall Rock after the update, install all your apps, and then uninstall Rock.

I haven't had any issues at all since being forced to upgrade to 3.1.3 by their debacle. If 3.1.3 hadn't been cracked, I'd probably be hunting these guys down...lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

For everyone out there who lost data in the whole Rock debacle:

I'm not sure if Rock is doing anything to help those of us who have data stuck on our new bricks, but it sure as hell looks like they aren't so it might be worth giving after-restore data recovery a shot...

The thread at HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery has more information (look for army113's guide on the 7th page), and looks promising... I haven't tried it yet myself and it looks like a bit of a hassle to set up, but at least it's better than writing all that data off for good.

People have reported success with data recovery up to weeks after the restore, so even if it's already been some time since you did your restore it might still be worth a try.

Best of luck to everyone who got boned in this giant mess - hope you manage to recover at least some of your data!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TIMBO SLICE View Post
    I don't understand why so many people choose choose Cydia over Rock. Everybody is talking about how its so confusing and difficult to use and how they have so many problems with it but i haven't experience any problems with it yet. And, it has everything Cydia has plus more. The best thing about rock is it doesn't take 3 freaking minutes to start up. AND, you can queue multiple downloads at the same time. I know there's a poll about this but why are so many people against Rock?
    People hate Rock because it is mainly a commercial marketplace, me I love Rock and only use Cydia when I have to because of how long it take before you can use Cydia after opening it.