+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rock Extensions vs Mobile Substrate

is a discussion within the

Rock Your Phone Support

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
Hi All, Ok, apologies if this has been asked before (in fact, I know it has...) only I cannot find a clear answer, and on most threads, they are left
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wink Rock Extensions vs Mobile Substrate
    Hi All,

Ok, apologies if this has been asked before (in fact, I know it has...) only I cannot find a clear answer, and on most threads, they are left in a mixed state of mind. So I am hoping this will become the defacto choice for everyone to look who is in same boat.

I had to restore my iTouch the other day, for various reasons, however these more so...

1) System memory running low, due apps in background. 10-20Mb free

2) Something (possibally, Rock Extensions) caused Springboard to crash constantly.

Now I know the crashing could be due any one of the apps installed, but I have had this problem before, with little apps installed.

Now I know a lot of Cydia apps rely on Mobile Substrate.... but then I have heard that Rock Extensions is the same thing, but better as it tells you what crashed it, and offers to send a bug report (who too, I dont know??). Now I have heard that you can just use Rock Extensions, and remove Mobile Substrate... however!!

1) When I go to remove Mobile Substrate, it attempts to remove every app that uses that... - how can I just get rid of Mobile Substrate?

2) When I go to use an App that requires Mobile Substrate, and somehow it did appear to have gone or disabled, the app refused to run, and said it needed Mobile Substrate.

3) Can Rock Extensions completely replace it, as though the apps thing it is in fact, Mobile Substrate?? (and do I have to set it up?)

4) Is Rock Extentions fully compatible with Firmware 3.x (3.1.2) as I have heard it isnt in many forums...

Basically, I am now resetting up my iTouch, and before I go any further installing apps that requires one or the other, whats best to install... what do you have installed, and how does it work for you guys??

Thanks,

Lister

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey there and welcome to MMi!

Interesting "screen name"

There is no shortage of opinions on Rock Extensions, as you have probably read here. I have had a positive experience with it. Others have had negative experiences. Here are some answers from my perspective on your quesions:

Your crashes are likely due to a conflict of some kind as you surmised, but could also be low mem. Could be rock conflicting with something, could just be other apps conflicting (I personally have had issues with some HTML Widgets). The Rock bug submission goes to the Rock "guys". I must admit, I do like that Rock tries to figure out what the conflict is, nice feature IMO....

1) When I go to remove Mobile Substrate, it attempts to remove every app that uses that... - how can I just get rid of Mobile Substrate? You cannot. Those apps require MS, so to remove just MS would break them all.

2) When I go to use an App that requires Mobile Substrate, and somehow it did appear to have gone or disabled, the app refused to run, and said it needed Mobile Substrate. Yes, that makes sense. Not sure how you could have an app that requires MS installed without having MS. Maybe a manual install?

3) Can Rock Extensions completely replace it, as though the apps thing it is in fact, Mobile Substrate?? (and do I have to set it up?) No. Rock Extensions are like Mobile Substrate, but still different. You cannot replace Mobile Substrate with Rock Extensions.

4) Is Rock Extentions fully compatible with Firmware 3.x (3.1.2) as I have heard it isnt in many forums...I have had no issues with Rock Extensions on any 3.x firmware (I am on 3.1.2 now). Others will have differing opinions I would imagine Feel free to PM me if you want a full list of my apps that run, etc. NOTE: I am running a 3GS, so I don't have any short memory issues

Read more about macbook by modmyi.com
    kwickone I.T.H.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kwickone For This Useful Post:

skeels (01-03-2010)