Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rock app changed root password for me - dont know new password

Default Rock app changed root password for me - dont know new password
    when i was initially setting up my phone with 'rock' i was prompted to secure my root password. i clicked ok and the app automatically changed the default 'alpine' password to something other new, dose anyone know what the new password is?
    Last edited by eraser82; 12-14-2009 at 01:36 AM.

I don't believe Rock app changes your passwork automatically, you have to input the new password.

Thanks

Same happened to ole ladies phone. I even tried removing openssh and starting over but it still says incorrect password. I don't know what she did. Any help would be great.

The funny thing is when it offered to change the password it claimed that it could not finish the job and told
    me to log in to terminal to finish the job, I never was prompted to change any passwords

perhaps we can make this thread into a how-to-reset root password trouble shot, does anyone know how to default the password back to alpine?

is the only way through a full restore, dose this even work?
    Last edited by eraser82; 12-14-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Try the password you wanted Rock app to change it to. Rock sometimes tells you it couldnt change the password but it actually did.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

^^bhz1 +1
    it told me it couldn't do it but when i sshed in, it had changed it to what I wanted....try that
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

I don't remeber entering anything, what would happen if you replaced the password with nothing, can you have a blank password or dose it default to something else?

It would not allow < 6 characters i believe (so no blank). RE: it saying it couldn't change it: There is some issue with the iPhone writing to a file and reading that file shortly there after (ie, it's not actually written to disk yet - haven't nailed the issue down 100%).

Worst case - you could use something like Diskaid and reset the root password by using a clean /etc/master.passwd file
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

is there a article i can read regarding a walk-through to run diskaid on the iphone, i am not terribly knowledgeable in Linux and don't want to make things any worse.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eraser82 View Post
    is there a article i can read regarding a walk-through to run diskaid on the iphone, i am not terribly knowledgeable in Linux and don't want to make things any worse.
    Google on DiskAid its a program you install on your computer and it will read your iPhone file system when connected by USB. No knowledge of Linux necessary.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks, I will try this tonight and report back on if this worked

with diskaid i accessed the /etc/master.passwd file.

what i see found when editing the file is that my password is still alpine????????

see below - the "smx7MYTQIi2M" is password for alpine, so now the question is if the password is correct what else can be preventing me from logging on with terminal on iphone or WinSCP on PC.

##
    # User Database
    #
    # This file is the authoritative user database.
    ##
    nobody:*:-2:-2:Unprivileged User:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
    root:/smx7MYTQIi2M:0:0:System Administrator:/var/root:/bin/sh
    mobile:/smx7MYTQIi2M:501:501:Mobile User:/var/mobile:/bin/sh
    daemon:*:1:1:System Services:/var/root:/usr/bin/false
    _securityd:*:64:64:securityd:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
    _mdnsresponder:*:65:65:mDNSResponder:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
    _sshd:*:75:75:sshd Privilege separation:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false
    _unknown:*:99:99:Unknown User:/var/empty:/usr/bin/false

Little things like this make RYP a bunch of shiat.

Why would people want that crap on their phone. Installed once, found out it was poop, then uninstalled. Had to spend some time SSH'ing into my phone to clean up they mess RYP left.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

your missing the / in front. try root:/smx7MYTQIi2M
    3G, 8GB, X THEME Blue
    4G, 16GB, Z|ui

I was just about to restore! mmi to the rescue again. Thanks for the help