View Poll Results: Which is better RockApp or Cydia?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • RockApp

81 44.02%
  • Cydia

103 55.98%
+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RockApp VS. Cydia

is a discussion within the

Rock Your Phone Support

forums, a part of the

Rock Your Phone Discussion

section;
Yeah for some reason I feel rock extensions causes a conflict with mobile substrate I could be mistaken but for example say you have a custom UI Image and the
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Dajokeisonu's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah for some reason I feel rock extensions causes a conflict with mobile substrate I could be mistaken but for example say you have a custom UI Image and the loaders once Rock Extensions is installed for some reason they will not show up in cydia. I find it very odd I personally like cydia better but I can see the rock app having a lot of potential where Icy never did.

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

I love Rock because of two reasons...
    1. Its faster and can do everything Cydia can
    1a. The only thing it can't do(so far) is those PayPal donations...it CAN install apps that say ONLY INSTALL IN CYDIA( I tried it )
    2.My Cydia has been scrwed forever...I switched to Rock and deleted Cydia a long time ago...but first I restored and rejailbroke my iTouch 2g, but Cydia wouldn't open and I didnt feel like fixing it...I just said screw it I'm using Rock.

The only thing I can ask for in Rock is for PayPal donations to work. Everything else it pretty much as good/better as Cydia...
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

is rock extensions the mobile subtrate for rock your phone?

There are alot of people out there thinking cydia is still superior, It was a great app, it had all the features we needed and worked properly, after a couple of updates and using it for a long time I realized that its really slow, drains performance, and getting the repo takes a really long time.

I just love how RYP has all the features cydia has, and more, like the backups and ect. They also have awesome exlusive apps like mywi and tlert elert and ect. I wouldnt be without it, next update im removing cydia for good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richhee View Post
    a little off topic but maybe someone could help ive had rock and cydia no problems also have sbsettings categories categoriessb iblacklist five icon dock and coloum irealquicksms everything works perfect except for sometimes when i get a call my phone doesnt ring or do anything so i dont no then i pick it up an hour later and it looks like there is a call coming in it shows the number on top of my lockscreen i can slide to unlock and it goes to springboard like normal then i go to recent calls and it shows the same number that was on the lockscreen and the time is like an hour before i picked the phone up is it cydia and rock together causing this or something else thanks
    Interesting, I have the same problem at times. It's more a random thing though. No set time when it happens. I only have Cydia installed so I don't think having both apps installed is your issue. Wish I could help you more beyond that. But seems like we both need an answer to that question about the phone part.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I have been reading a lot of information about Cydia vs Rock. I have tried Rock 3 times. Each time it has bricked my iPhone. And for that reason alone I am turned off. I read this entire thread and looked at all the opinions by those that currently use it. It sounds like the developers have fixed a lot of issues. But after having to restore so many times I am not looking forward to yet ANOTHER possible restore. I'll stick to Cydia for now. I am almost convinced though to try Rock again.

Why can't someone write up a massive review for both these programs? One for Cydia and one for Rock? Talk about ALL the PROS and CONS on a professional level and inform us jailbreakers of the benefits. That includes the flaws of both apps, the weaknesses and strengths of both apps. I'm surprised no one has. Or have they? And I just don't know where to look. If there are reviews like that then please by all means point me in that direction. I'm aaaaaaalmost willing to give Rock another try on my iPhone but what's keeping me from doing it is that LAST restore thanks to Rock. I had enough and decided to stick with Cydia because it works.

Cydia has given me issues also but not requiring a restore. And it was easily fixable once I knew what the problem was. Oh, and I'm not hating on Rock. I'm just telling what my personal experience has been with it. It really looks like a nice alternative to Cydia but I'm not convinced it will NOT kill my iPhone again...
    Last edited by kiddoko; 11-24-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Big kid playing with iPhone! Learning as I go...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does having both Cydia and rock on your iphone slow it down any?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

no.....

Thanks
    Thanked 9,118 Times in 2,707 Posts

I've never had to restore due to any confilct with Rock Extensions, sometimes installs get me into Safe Mode, I just restart then reboot and this usually clears things up for me. Same thing has happened with a few Cydia installs, I just reboot and it's all good. Can't fathom what you might be installing that bricks the phone and you have to restore. Curious...

Previously known as psuskeels
    Thanks

You can install things via rock and cydia that will cause you to restore (IE, messing around with apps like MMSfor2G or even some mobilesubstrate apps). It's not the installer, but the app. (If you find anything else I'd love to hear about it - but at the current time, with over 1 million users, we just wouldn't be in business if we were causing everyone to restore their phone .

RE Rock Extensions vs Mobilesubstrate - there is no conflict, but sometimes people are confused by both of them, because they both catch errors from the extensions, regardless if they were the one's to load it (ie, You could have a mobilesubstrate extension that is causing a major problem on the phone, and Rock Extenstions pops up with an error saying "There's a conflict" - it's not Rock Extensions, but the mobilesubstrate extension itself. Rock Extensions goes the extra mile too - it tries to display the extension that's causing the error to help (but unfortunately, most users cna't read .
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to skeels For This Useful Post:

TLX317 (01-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is there a way to remove Rock Extensions?
    Thank you
    Mario

Thanks

I will admit that Rock is fast and that the backups have saved me when updating. HOWEVER, Rock is terribly unstable, and, if you are not careful, can ruin your iDevise so you have to restore. So I run Rock every once and a while to backup my apps but other than that, I use Cydia for everything.
    Writer/Reporter/Graphic Designer

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I just wish Cydia wasn't soooooooo slow to load. I click on it to open and it takes about 1-2 minutes to finish "reloading" Argh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thehotrod View Post
    I just wish Cydia wasn't soooooooo slow to load. I click on it to open and it takes about 1-2 minutes to finish "reloading" Argh.
    That's why I only enter a source when I need it... then delete it. (takes about 30 sec to load and 15 to reload xD)

EDIT: I decided to check how fast it loads and reloads (I just decided to do this method of installing and uninstalling sources) Literally 1 sec to load and 1/2 a sec to reload x)
    Last edited by Fodd1337; 01-14-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    So it's a matter of the number of sources I have listed? I could see that. But I have them listed there because of betas and beta repos that all these developers use. I don't want to have to remember all those sources and retype them in from time to time.
    But why force us to reload ALL of the sources at once. Sometimes I just want to uninstall one application or check one update....

What I like about Rock is that I can 'do stuff' while it is updating. That's a HUGE plus.

And both of them seem to take a long time to 'finish' loading the app details page. I'm guessing it's the ads that are slowing down the details. What I mean I press an app to learn more about it then I quickly see the name and author and repo info, but it takes 3-30 seconds to load the description, more info, and ads.
    Last edited by thehotrod; 01-15-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks

There is a thing on Cydia (idk if it is an SBSettings toggle or not) but it allows you to turn reloading on and off... Nothing u can do about loading tho

Green Apple
    Thanks
    What is it called and has anybody used it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thehotrod View Post
    What is it called and has anybody used it?
    Okay, a quick Bing search revealed this site:
    iPhoneFreakz _ All The Latest And Greatest iPhone News “NoCyfresh” Deactivates The Reloading Of Cydia [Jailbreak]

It is called NoCyFresh and it is an SBSettings plugin, and you may manually refresh by going to Changes>Refresh without having to turn NoCyFresh off.

*i*
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My Rock app crashes way more than Cydia. So now I just used cydia.

Thanks

Im a RockApp man myself, uses Cydia for aaaaaaaaaaaaaages and then there was that whole locking on the relading screen embargo,,,, so i gave up on it and went smoothly into Rock, since then its been smooth sailing,, that and a restored my phone as wanted to start clean as so far everything is working fine and dandy,, i think the best part so far is *******, hehe but using things like Winterboard etc from Cydia into Rock its all working fine,, and all i have is a poxy 8GB 3G,,,,, all these people flashing off there 16/32GB 3GS's,, damn you

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I found an app in the ModMi repo, that basically fixes your phone after you install your NoCyFresh.....Apparently the NoCyFresh app is a bad and dangerous app and can screw up your phone. I'm going to stay away from it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip on NocyFresh!

I like Rock best due to speed and usability. It does crash occassionally but I can bring It back up faster than the 10 minutes it seems to take cydia to load.
    I do use both as I'm still learning all about everything and have had no issues with the two not functioning well together.