Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IOS 5.0.1 Rename Text Tone Names

Thanks

Default IOS 5.0.1 Rename Text Tone Names
    I actually wrote a couple guides for changing text tone names a a long while back, been really busy with work and still am. The last guide I wrote will be at the bottom of this post. I got a day off work today and have been trying to figure this stuff out in 5.0.1 but none of the changes Ive applied have had any affect. Maybe someone else out there has more time to figure out 5.0.1 and if so please post here. Also I havent been able to find a way to completely remove the stock alert tones in 5.0.1

My Old Guide:
    Guide to change the name of stock sms tone

Ok so Im going to try to quickly cover how to change the name of that stock sms tone, that you have now replaced with your very own custom tone. This will be a guide for os 4.1 and 4.2.1 For 4.1 and below the first section of this guide should work for you. The second section will cover 4.2.1 (ALL OF THIS EDITING CAN BE DONE THROUGH IFILE ON YOUR IPHONE) and that is how the directions for these guides will be written

Open ifile and navigate to var/stash/applications.pwn/preferences.app/English.Iproj/Sounds.strings
    open sounds.strings with text viewer. (Lets say you replaced the chime text tone with your tone,) You will see a list of the stock tones in sound.strings under ALTERNATE_1 through 5, with the name of the tone next to each. Click edit then change the name of the tone you want change to the new name of your tone. For example "Chime"; to "Mario Dies"; then save it! Thats it you should now have a new name for your custom sms tone!

Now for 4.2.1 Apple made a little change so you will have another step to take. Follow the same step as above, after that in ifile go to Sytem/Library/Frameworks/AddressBookUI.framework/English.lproj/AB.strings. Scroll down to where you see Texttone: assuming you changed replaced the Chime tone with your tone, or rather for an example we will say thats what you did. So in the list you will look for
    "Texttone:Chime" = "Chime";
    you will need to change it to your new sms tone name for example

"Texttone:Chime" = "Mario Dies";

Save it and your done, you now have your new name for your custom sms tone

I've been looking into this issue for the last few days. I've searched damn near every plist on my iPhone, but haven't found one that actually controls the names that are shown in the Sounds menu.
    On the bright side, I found out that this is an obsolete action. With iOS 5, we're no longer restricted to using "text tones" for alerts and SMS and "ringtones" for ringtones. Apple has finally allowed us to choose any sound file for any purpose we choose.
    There are several tutorials online, but in short, all you need is an aiff file (which is Apple's version of a wav file–they're both PCM, but have different header info if I remember correctly), rename the extension to m4r, and place it in /Library/Ringtones (the file name will dictate what shows up in Sounds). iTunes has a way to make aiff, I think, but I prefer Audacity (which is free). I will say that I had issues today converting from wav to m4a with Audacity, but was able to get around those issues by going to aiff instead and just changing the extension to m4r afterward.
    Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by battlewithin View Post
    I've been looking into this issue for the last few days. I've searched damn near every plist on my iPhone, but haven't found one that actually controls the names that are shown in the Sounds menu.
    On the bright side, I found out that this is an obsolete action. With iOS 5, we're no longer restricted to using "text tones" for alerts and SMS and "ringtones" for ringtones. Apple has finally allowed us to choose any sound file for any purpose we choose.
    There are several tutorials online, but in short, all you need is an aiff file (which is Apple's version of a wav file–they're both PCM, but have different header info if I remember correctly), rename the extension to m4r, and place it in /Library/Ringtones (the file name will dictate what shows up in Sounds). iTunes has a way to make aiff, I think, but I prefer Audacity (which is free). I will say that I had issues today converting from wav to m4a with Audacity, but was able to get around those issues by going to aiff instead and just changing the extension to m4r afterward.
    Hope this helps!
    I found it!

-photo.png

go to //System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/en.lproj/

Copy file TL.strings to your folder.
    Rename as TL.Plist to edit
    Save
    Rename back as TL.strings.

make sure to back up your old file just incase.

Move edited file back into folder.

Respring and Voila. !!!

I found it!
    -photo.png

go to //System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ToneLibrary.framework/en.lproj/

Copy file TL.strings to your folder.
    Rename as TL.Plist to edit
    Save
    Rename back as TL.strings.

make sure to back up your old file just incase.

Move edited file back into folder.

Respring and Voila. !!!
    Last edited by Lakunsta; 05-21-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: attached pic

Thanks

Thanks Lakunsta, I haven't even had time to keep looking for it, knew it was in there somewhere. Now to look for it all over again when 5.1.1 jailbreak is ready

You are Welcome Godulous! Let me know there are other stuff you trying to do maybe I might have done it

Thanks

I figured out how to edit all the tones in 5.1.1 I'll try to get details posted as soon as I can, prolly tomorrow. Out of town at work atm

Curious for post. Been wondering this myself since /Bundles/com.apple.AddressBookUI/ABTextTones-New.plist stopped working. Took a look at the TL.plist thing. Hurt my eyes wordwrapped. lol

Curious for post. Been wondering this myself since /Bundles/com.apple.AddressBookUI/ABTextTones-New.plist stopped working. Took a look at the TL.plist thing. Hurt my eyes wordwrapped. lol
    Last edited by Ardivian; 05-30-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks

Not a lot of time atm for a full guide so if your used to ssh, ifile, just a quick rundown of what i did in ios 5.1.1
    go to system/library/privateframeworks/tonelibrary.frame

in en.iproj and in en_gb.iproj and in tl.strings in both of those: i edited for example :texttone:Chime'' = "Chime";
    i changed it to say :texttone:Chime" = "Uh Oh";

now to replace the sound chime makes to the new uh oh ringtone i made, i made a aiff version of an mp3 sound then renamed that to sms-received2.caf

i then placed that in system/library/audio/uisounds

simple as that, i dont have the the time to write a better guide or even change all the tones that id like to atm, busy with work
    so i hope that helps or at least gives everyone a start. happy editing!

So I tried incorporating /ToneLibrary.framework/en.lproj and /en_GB.lproj with altered TL.string into a uisounds theme I made by placing it into the /Bundles/ folder I had. Resprang... no take. Also tried /PrivateFramworks/ToneLibrary.framework/ in /Bundles/ and it didn't take.
    Sounds have worked fine since 4.x.x then when 5.0 came along sounds worked but names for system sounds went back to normal. I also placed TLTextTones.plist and TLTextTones-New.plist into the ToneLibrary.framework dir. No go on system sound name changes. Trying to avoid changing actual system/ TL.string

Thanks

So every time apple releases an update its back to the drawing board trying to figure out where they have hid stuff. Now I've figured out how to replace and rename stock tones in iOS 6.1 Unfortunately, this is not what I want to do, I want to completely delete the stock tones and replace them with my own few tones. I found that editing a tones name in the TL.strings changes its name in the tone list under sound settings on the phone, but deleting the name in TL.strings does not remove it from sound settings in phone. Any ideas out there appreciated

Thanks

Finally got it all figured out, I've been playing around with this idea for the last couple days. I've managed to figure out how to completely remove the stock tones and their names under the sound settings in the iPhone on iOS 6.1 being as it is late I will finalize my tinkering and follow up with a guide tomorrow

Thanks

iOS 6.1 Tones Guide : Not a lot of time for a complete guide moving due to wifes dad battling cancer, but again for those of you who have the know how using ifile or another file manager, you can navigate to var/stash/ringtones replace any ringtone in that directory with a ringtone of your choosing. Lets say you replace Alarm with X, replace the alarm.m4r with your x.m4r only name the x.m4r Alarm. Now Navigate to system/library/privateframeworks/tonelibrary.framework here you will open en.Iproj then open TL.strings find and edit "system:Alarm" = "Alarm"; to "system:Alarm" = "X"; now save and go back to system/library/privateframeworks/tonelibrary.framework and open en_GB.Iproj and do the same as above. After saving this you can respring your device and the changes will take effect. It’s a bit of work but if your picky you can do this to have just the tones you want in the phone. With the remaining tones of apples in var/stash/ringtones you can completely delete them then again go into system/library/privateframeworks/tonelibrary.framework and into en_GB.Iproj and en.Iproj here completely delete the lines to each tone that you want removed for example “systemuck” = “Duck”;
    Remove the entire line that I have highlighted, respring and now that tone will not even show up on the list of available tones in your sound settings.

"systemuck" = "Duck"; was supposed to be highlighted guess when i copy pasted the guide it decided to make a smile face.... LOL

Any way should be easy to figure out, if you have any questions or comments shoot me a private message and ill try to get back to you as soon as i can
    Last edited by Godulous; 02-11-2013 at 05:10 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Godulous For This Useful Post:

DarkXShadowX21 (02-16-2013)

How do you just rename for 6.1?