Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Step by step guide for custom sms tone

Thanks

Default Step by step guide for custom sms tone
    Lets start with making a custom ringtone, there are several ways you can do this but I will just explain one very simple way. First go download the tone you would like to use, try to keep it a short tone 1-10 seconds long. Brinked.com has a lot of tones you can download free and you can even edit tones there for free. Download the tone you select to your desktop or to downloads so you can easily find it. Now if your using brinked or another site download the mp3 file to make things easy. Now open up itunes then drag and drop the mp3 you have selected into itunes, find that file then right click it and select create aiff version. Now drag that aif to your desktop, right click it and rename it. Your going to rename to either sms-received1.caf or sms-received2.caf, up to sms-received6.caf depending on which tone you are replacing.

Now lets ssh into your phone, (iphonebrowser, winscp, whatever you use)
    Go to:

System

Library

Audio

UIsounds

now scroll down to where you see sms-received1.caf thru sms-received6.caf these are your stock sms tones! Now if you would like copy the sms-received1.caf or whichever one your replacing, and rename it to sms-received1backup.caf and leave it there, or delete the orginal, or save a copy to your pc, Up to you! Now take the tone named (sms-received1.caf through 6), the new tone you just made you saved on your desktop and drag it and drop it in UIsounds a window will pop-up saying "do you want to replace this file", just click yes!!! But when you look in your phone, by going to Settings - Sounds - New Text Message, you will still see your stock sms tone names ie: Tri-tone, Chime, etc., so just listen to them 1 by 1 to see which is which !! (Read My Next Post for a guide to change the names of sms tones to the name of your choosing) You can also do this to any file that has a .caf extension like new-mail.caf,sent-mail.caf

This is my first guide, I hope it was easy to understand. My next guide will explain how to change the stock sms tone name, chime, bell, ect. to the name you want it to show. Please reply with any questions or comments about my guide. Thanks!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godulous For This Useful Post:

FIFATG (03-26-2011), scorpluto (01-14-2013), Treees (04-19-2011)

hey thear ive followed these instruction to the dot when i delete the file and then reinstall the desired tone under the sms-received1.caf it goes through fine except when i test it thear is no sound. the only thing i had to convert the mp3 in itunes through create aac version but thats the only converter in itunes
    im running 4.3.3 please help

Lol, I had the same thing. In iTunes you have to go to "View", "Preferences", the choose "Import Settings" and change it to ".aiff".