Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: DIY QuickSMS Sms Tones - Different tones for Different Contacts

Thanks

Default DIY QuickSMS Sms Tones - Different tones for Different Contacts
    QuickSMS is a app from cydia, that has some great features, one of those includes to ability to define specified sms tones for each contact. This is a pretty cool feature, although there are only the standard ones to choose from,

in this tutorial i will tell you how to make your own sms tones that will work with QuickSMS .

The beginning of this tutorial, where you convert ordinary sound files to .aiff and to .caf, uses the same method as we would use to create other custom sounds for your iPhone/iPod Touch, by either replacing the originals via SSH, or using winterboard. Ask for more information if needed

To make your own sms tones you will need;
    - iTunes
    - QuickSMS installed on your iPhone 3G or 2G (from cydia)
    - Prior knowledge on how to SSH with your device
    - A sound file to make your tone

This tutorial will cover all steps, including creating a smaller sound file (from a song etc) into the desired length for a sms tone, and will include converting it to the right format also which is essential.

Step 1: Enabling AIFF converting
    Note: this is not a default setting for iTunes, so most people will have to do this step

-open iTunes, click edit> preferences> General> import settings> then click on the drop box that is next to import using and select AIFF Encoder, then click OK

Step 2: Editing your sound file
    -drag your sound file you would like to make your ringtone from into your iTunes library

Note: If your sound file is already at the right length (preferably around 2-3 seconds for sms tones but can be longer) then continue to Step 3, otherwise continue..

-locate the audio file (the song or file that we will make into a sms tone) in your iTunes Library
    -right click on the file>get info>options
    -then choose the Start Time and the End Time that you would like for your sms tone
    -then click ok

Step 3: Converting to .AIFF
    -right click on the sound file (the one we created from step 2, or the original if the file was already at the preferred length)
    -click "Create AIFF Version
    -iTunes has now converted the file to .AIFF
    Those that changed the length of the tone, will notice the newly converted .aiff file has now got the defined Start Time and End time.

Step 4: Converting the .AIFF to .CAF
    Note: If using windows, make sure under "folder options" (control panel) you have the setting set to viewing the file extensions.

-locate the newly converted .aiff file in your iTunes library
    -right+click on it,
    -show in windows explorer
    -a new window will pop up, right click on the .aiff file, and change its extension to .caf

Step 5: Placing the sms tone on your iPhone for QuickSMS
    This is where prior knowledge of SSH is required
    -SSH your .caf sms tone into the following directory on your iPhone
    /var/mobile/Media/QuickBoard/QuickSMS/CustomSMSTones
    Note: if the folders do not exist as standard (which they didnt for me) just create them; in WinSCP, right click> new> Directory creates new folders

Step 6: Assigning the sms tone in QuickSMS
    haha i think you all wont need this step, but i thought i would chuck it in just incase . Obviously by now, you have completed all of the above steps, therefore,

-Open QuickSMS
    -Touch a contact which will open up all there messages
    -Scroll to the very top of the screen in the message window
    -You will find 3-4 buttons, which include, Call, Additional, Information and maybe Load More Messages.
    -Press Additional
    -Then choose Custom SMS Tone
    -Scroll down to the bottom of the page
    -Under the heading, User Sounds, your newly created sms tone should be listed, therefore just select it, and all should work out fine!

Your now finished
    I hope this guide helps many of you out!
    Click thanks if you find this useful!
    Last edited by lach; 05-21-2009 at 07:41 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lach For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (05-03-2009), darkknight75 (05-03-2009), Grievus (08-14-2009), Hayesimus (06-25-2009), kadinh (07-22-2009), Musad (05-04-2009), nightowlhid (07-10-2010), PEakaS (05-03-2009), st1ckupk1d (10-01-2009), thisaudiocory (08-31-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,926 Times in 6,061 Posts

Awesome guide. Great job my friend.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PEakaS's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you man!

Thanks

Thanks guys, took me a while but I think many people will find it useful

great guide, anyone working on custom tones willing to post theirs? Il work on some later 2nite when i get in.

Thank you for sharing this info..

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If you also use QuickReply(from iReal) you will need to turn your compatibility mode ON in order to have these tones actually play.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

very good tutorial! i wish i had found this like a year ago. if i did, i might just use it, but i got too accustomed to how the iphone already is with the same tone for all contacts. i have iRealQuickSMS that works just fine for me.

Default What bout biteSMS?
    Doesnt have the feature?

Thanks

I don't think BiteSMS has this feature, QuickSMS has been reported to be buggy on 3.0, but seems to be getting better!