Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to add REAL FREE ringtones to your iPhone 1.1.4 with iTunes 7.6.1.9

Talking How to add REAL FREE ringtones to your iPhone 1.1.4 with iTunes 7.6.1.9
    *** NO PATCHING***
    ***NO CHANGES TO IPHONE FILES***
    ***LET ITUNES MANAGE YOUR RINGTONES***

***DID I MENTION IT'S FREE?!?!?***

iPhone 8GB FW 1.1.4
    iTunes (PC) 7.6.1.9

That's right, you heard it here first. (At least I havent seen anyone else post this yet, but hey! I could be wrong.

FIRST OF ALL: I tried the new version of iPhoneRingtone Maker, and after my first sync with that program there was a new feature in 1.1.4 that is now gone!!! There used to be an option to shuffle your custom ringtones. I KNOW, iPhoneRingtone maker does that, but only shuffles when you sync, not for EVERY call. SO if anyone knows how I can get that back, aside from restore and re-unlock with ZiPhone - which I will do if I have to.

OKAY, now the good stuff! (Simple too! - DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - I can't imagine how you can screw this up, but some people manage to do some seriously messed up crap, so I wash my hands of your issues!)

1 - Make a ringtone with iPhoneRingtone maker or whatever will make you an m4a file. SIMPLE!

2 - Create a folder in iTunes music/ringtones (standard location for itunes ringtones)

3 - Drop your ringtone into that folder (I hope I havent lost you yet.)

4 - Change the extension of the file from m4a to m4r (There are lots of guides out there on changing extensions)

5 - Now the hard part, install a hex editor. An awesome free one I use is called PSPAD (www.pspad.com) Once fully installed, when you right click on ANY file one of the options is: PSPad HEX (select that option - when right clicking on your new ringtone.)

6 - The second line (when you look at the characters to the right) starts with: mp42ison.. Change that to read m4r2ison.. (see attached image.)-pspadhex.jpg

7 - Save and exit PSPad

8 - In iTunes, click file and add file to library. Select the ringtone you just edited and click ok. It will be added to itunes as a real ringtone.

That's it! Simple. Just changing the extention is not enough anymore, gotta edit a piece of the file, but it's nothing complicated or even dangerous.

I was wondering if I should share this with people, because then Apple will fix it in iTunes 7.6.2 - just to spite me! HOWEVER, the developers and the community have given so much to me, I would have felt guitly for not sharing! Keep up the great work everyone!
    Last edited by jvoni; 03-11-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    MacMini Server 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 15" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo l iPhone 3G S⃣ 32 GB Black l  TV Gen 2

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jvoni For This Useful Post:

lee_3d (03-23-2008)

Or, you could just use iRinger and skip this whole process.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SonicMouse For This Useful Post:

Farside1 (03-11-2008), tomtran (04-18-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicMouse View Post
    Or, you could just use iRinger and skip this whole process.
    What do us mac guys do then?
    Last edited by mk.ultra; 03-09-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jvoni View Post
    That's it! Simple.
    I don't see what this accomplishes with all this complexity that iRinger does simply with 3 steps.

Or have I missed something?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rip For This Useful Post:

Farside1 (03-11-2008)

For starters I didn't know about iRinger, but will deffinately check it out. Thanks. I guess this method might be what I ringer does.

FOR THE MAC GUYS: If this is indeed what iRinger does, I'm sure there is a mac genius out there who could code up a simple program to do what I described above. I have no idea if the HEX Edit will work with iTunes for mac, but it's worth a try as it won't hurt anything. Good luck Mac Guys!

Okay, I did a restore, but that didn't bring back the "Shuffle Ringtones" option that seems to have come with 1.1.4. Now I can't shuffle my ringtones.
    Last edited by jvoni; 03-09-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    MacMini Server 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 15" MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo l iPhone 3G S⃣ 32 GB Black l  TV Gen 2

What is this "shuffle ringtones" thing? I have never seen that.. Both my iPhones on 1.1.4 have no such thing. One of the phones is OTB and not modded at all what so ever and it doesn't have anything called "shuffle ringtones"

Just curious where you saw it...

Here is the history of my iPhone:

Purchased 1.1.1
    downgraded to 1.0.2
    upgraded to 1.1.1
    restore to 1.1.4 and unlocked with ZiPhone.

As soon as I restored to 1.1.4 and unlocked with ZiPhone I went into settings -> sounds
    Right at the top there was a sound option called "Shuffle Custom Ringtones"

Coolest feature ever! But ever since I ran iPhoneRingtone Maker, I lost that feature!

Even a restore didn't fix it.

can someone please send me a code for the extra features for iRinger. Please PLEASE.

=D

Hi , Iringer Only Makes 30 Sec Ringtones, Any IDEA Of Simple Process For 1.1.4 To Make A Full Song.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The easiest way to create a ringtone in Windows is to edit it with a sound program like Sound Forge. Cut it for 40 seconds, or less... A simple millisecond more, and it wont work. Once you save the file, drag it into iTunes. Right click on the file, and convert it to AAC. Once it finishes converting, open My Documents> My Music> iTunes> iTunes Music> Artist> Album The file will be there as a .m4a file. Rename it to a .m4r file. After renaming it, go back into iTunes, go to File> Add File To Library. Locate the file, and open it. It will now appear in your ringtones section in iTunes. Sync with your iPhone, and that's that. Enjoy

Brandon

people get iRinger!!!

I mean if you're worried about making the ringtone longer than 30 secs, my question is WHY? I mean you're only going to listen probably 10-15 secs at max of it before you pick up your phone.

@Brandon
    dude like its been said, iRinger does the same thing in three steps and its all automated

iFuntastic, wouldnt load on my machine, sketchy. Wish iRinger would be coded for OS X. Emailed them/ I mean begged them to do so...

@OP: I hex edited, even though my ringtones are all 'real' and I have the latest f/w and iTunes, but they wouldn't play in my iTunes anymore... I don't think that you properly wrote this guide. The part that is incorrect is the string that replaces mp42isom with m4rism. This is MISSING part of the string. The correct string is m4r2isom. Either way, I don't see any real reason to do this...

For future reference, if you are going to write a guide, then make sure that you test out the steps to be sure that it reproduces what you claim.

EDIT: Also, I've never heard of this 'shuffle ringtones' option under Sounds. I call BS on that!
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 03-11-2008 at 05:18 AM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks for catching that keying error. I've fixed it.

I'm sorry you don't believe me on the shuffle custom ringtunes. I have the firmware I loaded and I am learning how to decrypt it to if it's something in the sounds plist file. Short of re-downgrading to 1.1.1 and then back to 1.1.4 I don't know how else to get it back. A restore of firmware didn't bring it back. I should have taken a picture of it when it happened. I didn't think I'd lose it, I thought it was a new feature that wouldn't disappear like it did. IF I can get it back, I will document it properly so everyone gets to see it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nirav464 View Post
    @Brandon
    dude like its been said, iRinger does the same thing in three steps and its all automated
    I know. However, if you're anything like me, I like to make sure things get done, and done orderly. I like to do it all manually. Keeps everything the way I like it

Brandon

Y do all that baloney!!!

All i did was drag my CTU ring tone to iTunes and it automatically created a folder called RINGTONES and sync my iphone BINGO BANGO JOB DONE!

I have latest version of iTunes and 16gb iPhone with 1.1.4 FW #
    #
    HELL YEAH!!!!

I've tried all the various ways posted and it's still not working for me... I'm able to get only 1 on the iphone... And it lists it in a seperate section than standard ringtones (under custom)... If I add more than 1 ring tone, all the ringtones I add all change to the 2nd ringtone added... So I end up with 6-7 copies of the same ringtone.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonito View Post
    I've tried all the various ways posted and it's still not working for me... I'm able to get only 1 on the iphone... And it lists it in a seperate section than standard ringtones (under custom)... If I add more than 1 ring tone, all the ringtones I add all change to the 2nd ringtone added... So I end up with 6-7 copies of the same ringtone.
    Let's start with some basics and see if we can get this working. I can only help with iRinger though as it's all I use for ringtones.

1. Do you have the latest version of iTunes?
    2. When you connect you iPhone can you see the Ringtones folder in iTunes?
    3. Can you select to sync Ringtones in iTunes?

If the answer to [2] above is YES, and you make a ringtone in iRinger, can you then see it under the Ringtones folder?

Additionally, which firmware version are you running?

iRinger does not work properly for me.

I gave up on using it after asking a question in these forums and not getting any responses. http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=430581

Turns out that I am not the only person with the problem as I can see in the post above. I went to the iRinger forum and found the same question from someone else. Also, unanswered.
    http://forum.iringer.net/yaf/yaf_postst10_Ringtones-keep-overwriting-themselves--Please-help.aspx

I am not sure why this happens, and it seems that nobody else has an answer either.

I started using a program called iPhoneRingToneMaker. It works just fine, and does not appear to care about iTunes. I am definitely not a fan of iTunes, so anything that allows me to stay away from it is good news for me.
    Last edited by BrainDamage; 03-19-2008 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mk.ultra View Post
    What do us mac guys do then?
    You use garageband like this tutorial says, works flawlessly:

http://lifehacker.com/software/how-t...way-334073.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast