Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 8 bit Mario Brother "Tock.caf" tone for Keyboard

Default 8 bit Mario Brother "Tock.caf" tone for Keyboard
    Hey guys, i just wanted to toss this out there in case anyone was interested in 8 bit sounds.

This is a replacement "Tock.caf" file for the keyboard click. This file was created using LMMS Studio with Toad.vst.

Which can be found here: tweakbench.com.

and here: LMMS - Linux MultiMedia Studio

Basically what this person did was create VST instruments that emulates the original chip tones of ye olde 8 bit cartridges (ergo NES games for you kids out there :-)

And I used LMMS studio to find the proper tone on the Piano Roll editor, exported it as a .wav file from LMMS, imported it into iTune 8 as a .aif, and then changed the extension to .caf, copy pasta it into /System/Library/Audio/UISounds using WinSCP and SSH, rebooted and now my keyboard makes a neat little 8 bit high hat shuffle sound when the keys are pressed!

I plan on toying around with some more 8 bit sounds cause they are just cool and i love those old analogue sounds, so when (if) i ever get around to doing more, i will be sure to post them as i go along, and then perhaps one day make a pack!

Also, this is not entirely original to me, there was a youtube video of some fellow who changed his sms, text, voicemail, and i think lock tone to Mario Brothers tones. However when i went to d/l the sound pack the link was dead.

This tone is the high hat sound that was used Super Marion Brothers. Kinda like a Tsch Tsch Tsch sound.

Hope someone can use this!

Oh and Thanks to all the developers that made all this modding possible! You guys gave to us freely, and likewise, any sound that i come up with may freely be used!
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boe_dye For This Useful Post:

elr0y7 (09-29-2008), laz305 (10-14-2008)

Hi
    I'm also interested in this kinf of sounds, I'm the creator of Star Wars Souns Theme...
    Something you can do is to cut the sound because it has a big silence after the real sound, the file has 600 kb and i think that with 10 or 20 kb is enough for a little sound like that
    Cut it with Audacity or a simmilar program

Good luck

P.D: I made a theme of Mario Bros in the past for my Samsung Z300, I can search the sounds if you want

4. The Following User Says Thank You to guarroman For This Useful Post:

elr0y7 (09-29-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by guarroman View Post
    Something you can do is to cut the sound because it has a big silence after the real sound, the file has 600 kb and i think that with 10 or 20 kb is enough for a little sound like that
    Cut it with Audacity or a simmilar program
    Yup, did exactly that and got it down to 2.5kb.
    edit: actually about 20kb when I properly converted it to .caf
    Last edited by elr0y7; 09-29-2008 at 04:19 AM.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

to both, i actually noticed that when i was done (it was 3 am at the time) however interestingly enough even though they are 3 seconds long when you push the keyboard you don't notice the empty space.

I suppose however or the sake of saving space and eliminating stupid errors that would be prudent.

Keep an eye out for my 8bit sound pack, i was working on DTMF keytones last nite which was interesting because DTMF tones arent in standard 440 tuning.

I hope to have something out later this week.

But i will fix that "Tock" file and shorten it up a bit.

One last thing and this is to "guarroman". I would be interested to see what you have. I was at mushroomkingdom.com, and they have some good stuff, but maybe you have some stuff that they don't.

Thanks for the suggestions on the length, i will get on that later this evening!