+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Made the ringtones/itunes plays them/they won't sync

is a discussion within the

Ringtone / Alert Sounds

forums, a part of the

Media

section;
I got an iPhone, and I unlocked it, so it's on version 1.1.2. I went to load up some ringtones, and made them according to instructions found everywhere (make mp3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Angry Made the ringtones/itunes plays them/they won't sync
    I got an iPhone, and I unlocked it, so it's on version 1.1.2. I went to load up some ringtones, and made them according to instructions found everywhere (make mp3 into AAC, then into m4r, etc.) I double clicked them into iTunes, and they show up in (and play from) the "ringtones" section under Library. I hooked up the phone, told it to sync all ringtones on the ringtones tab. It shows that it's syncing for about 15 seconds (for about 15 tunes), then it goes to the home screen like it's done. However, when I go back into the phone, and I try to change to the ringtone, either for an individual or for the phone as a whole, the tunes aren't there. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or where the breakdown is. I am using Windows Vista, iTunes 7.6.0.29. PLEASE can someone help me???? The generic tones that come with the phone just simply SUCK!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Smile uvbisani
    Hi there,
    U must be making the same mistake that i made. do you know that the ring tone length should be cut down to only 30 seconds than only your iphone will sync it. that can be done by a program named audacity or you can right click the song in i tunes and select the option "get info" there you can set the play time to 30 seconds and do all the things like convet the file in aac than into m4r.

If the trick works thank me at [email protected]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks! I'll try that. I previously had a Blackberry Pearl, and I had used Audacity to create ringtones for lots of people... I will try to cut them down and see if that works...

Green Apple
    Thanks

you can also right click song go to get info then options tab check the start and stop then make start where ever you want the song to start and stop it after 29sec. then click on convert to aac etc.. etc...
    iPhone 8gb- OTB 1.1.3 fully unlocked and everything working great plus mods

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm having the same problem right now but my ringtones are 16 seconds long so I don't think the length of the ringtone matters right now.

I have a 1.1.4 jailbroken. I don't know if it's because it's jailbroken. What's even weird is when I SSH into my phone and i browse to my /var/Library/Media/iTunes Control/Ringtones folder (I think that was the path), the ringtones are there but when I go to Settings>Sounds>Ringtone, it doesn't show up under "Custom". Also, all the permissions on the .m4r are 644 when I SSHed into the phone. ALSO, when I click "Ringtones" under my phone in iTunes, it shows the deng ringtone there. The only problem is that the phone is not displaying it.

Also wanted to note that I have an iDay iPhone, I did a reboot but that didn't help at all.

WTF is going on? Any thoughts guys? Thanks for the help =) I give you thanks....haha

Do I have to restore again? Aw man.....
    Last edited by supershick; 03-10-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm having the same problem as well! I'm on a mac and i've got about 30 or 40 ringtones, cut with audacity, with each ranging between about 15 to 20 seconds in length. I did all the converting to AAC and blah blah blah and the file shows up in my ringtone folder and in the ringtone catergory in iTunes but when I connect the phone and click the ringtones tab, none of the files in the ringtone folder show up so syncing does nothing. I have yet to not be able to hack whatever I want onto the phone so as you can imagine this is very frustrating! Any help would be greatly appriciated

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dncrgrl View Post
    I'm having the same problem as well! I'm on a mac and i've got about 30 or 40 ringtones, cut with audacity, with each ranging between about 15 to 20 seconds in length. I did all the converting to AAC and blah blah blah and the file shows up in my ringtone folder and in the ringtone catergory in iTunes but when I connect the phone and click the ringtones tab, none of the files in the ringtone folder show up so syncing does nothing. I have yet to not be able to hack whatever I want onto the phone so as you can imagine this is very frustrating! Any help would be greatly appriciated
    i also had that problem using audacity. then i followed instructions in iclarified.com using garageband instead and it works on my 1.1.4. follow those instructions.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Angry custom ringtones show in iTunes but will not sync
    i went through the mentioned process in the messages above to make custom ringtones - converting to ACC and then changing file extensions to m4r - all ringtones are 40 or less. of 58 ringtones, only 21 synced to my iPhone. the ones that synched and now show up in my ringtones folder on iPhone range from 13 secs to 39.949 sec. the ones that did not sync show up in the ringtones files in iTunes but will not synch. they also range in size from 13 sec to 39.949 secs with one being 40 sec. i've tried cutting the length down, with no luck. i;ve tried syncing 1 at a time with no luck. i have the new iPhone g3 w/32g ememory. so i have plenty of space on my iPhone. this is really aggrevating.