Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
08-13-2008, 05:27 AM #1
New Text message/New mail alert sounds
Hi there, does anyone know how to create a new Txt message/New mail alert sound ?
08-13-2008, 12:21 PM #2
create like actually make or where to put your custom new text message/new alert sounds on your phone?
08-13-2008, 01:30 PM #3
Ok, I have a particular ringtone that I use on my Iphone, but I really want it for new mail/Txt alerts. So in answer to your question, I suppose I need to know where to put it on my phone. At present I can only create or save ringtones in 'Ringtones' within Itunes and sync with phone.
08-13-2008, 03:35 PM #4
how longs your ringtone? i don't think u can silence a new mail or new text alert, like when someone calls u and u press the side buttons on ur phone which silences the ring, i don't think u can do that for those two.
1) Convert the sound you would like to use to a .caf (I use Switch on my Mac to do this, it's free)
2) Use CyberDuck (Mac) or WinSCP (Windows) to access your iPhone's file system. There are some great threads on here about how to do this, but here's how to do it:
a. go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> click on the blue arrow to the left of the wireless network you're connected to, look at the IP Address listed
b. open a connection in CyberDuck or WinSCP using the IP Address you just found
c. The username will be "root" and the password will be "alpine"
3) Once you're in, go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
4) Scroll down to the sms-received1.caf through sms-received6.caf, these are the various SMS Notification sounds, simply adding a file to this directory will not put it in the list on the phone.
5) You need to replace one of those sms-received.caf files with your sound, keeping the same name, just a new sound. It will then appear in the SMS Sound list as the same sound name it was originally, so if you replace what used to be the "Horn" sound with a new sound, you still click on "Horn" to set that sound.and replace the tone you want with the one you made renaming it accordingly
sms-received1.caf = Tri-tone
sms-received2.caf = Chime
sms-received3.caf = Glass
sms-received4.caf = Horn
sms-received5.caf = Bell
sms-received6.caf = Electronic
for the mail sounds, you go to that same folder, but overwrite "mail-sent.caf" and "new-mail.caf". make sure you backup all your original stock files before you do anything though incase something goes wrong, or just if you want to go back to the original sounds. i personally use kate to add on as many custom new text alerts as i want instead of having to go through the trouble of renaming the files sms-receivedX and overwriting those files since it just lets me add on whatever. did all that make sense?
08-08-2009, 07:07 AM #5new txt message sound
Cant get into my phone using the duck connection. The passwords and username is root and alpine yeah or do I have my own. (tried my usual for my system).
Any more advice?
08-08-2009, 07:10 AM #6
User name-root Password alpineiPhone 4 | iMac 24" | MacBook Pro 15" | ATV | iPod Classic | Time Capsule | iPad 16 Gb |
10-06-2009, 09:38 AM #7Username/Password not working
A couple questions...
do you connect to the iphone using standard ftp (tcp21) or sftp(tcp22)?
Neither works for me.
Could it be that root and alpine are not the right ones for an iphone 3G with v3.1 firmware?
10-06-2009, 10:35 AM #8
10-08-2009, 08:09 PM #9
Hey guys, so I did this, and it works perfectly. My question is there anyway I can silence the incoming mail sound, I added an extra long one so I'll make sure I hear it, but there sometimes when I've heard it and would like to silence it, like how you can hit the side volume bar when someone calls you to silence the ringer. Is there any button combination to do this, or perhaps a program on cydia?
10-14-2009, 12:35 PM #10
lol probably not... it will play the entire tune
12-04-2009, 03:11 PM #11
Uhm, one question. Any sms-received*.caf tones that I put into Library/UISounds appear to have no sound at all when I tried it on my iPhone.
Im using iFunBox and I have no problems with anything else. I've had my themes etc changed using iFunBox as well but I couldnt get a working sms tone. Ring tone is fine as well. I've followed the guides about changing the name to sms-received1.caf etc but I still fail.
Help anyone? ><
Oh btw, hello =p
02-24-2010, 01:37 PM #12