Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to add ringtones longer than 30sec

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default How to add ringtones longer than 30sec
    * Recommended to disable ringtone syncing in iTunes, otherwise the steps below will be removed upon syncing *

I thought I'd share a way to add ringtones that are longer than 30 seconds (tested and working in 1.1.2).

- Convert the full song to AAC
    - Rename extension from .m4a to .m4r
    - Use WinSCP to SFTP to your iPhone
    - Browse to /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/Ringtones
    - Upload your full ringtone to this directory
    - Browse to /private/var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes
    - Edit Ringones.plist

the following is an example of an edited Ringtones.plist file:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>Ringtones</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>cancel.m4r</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>GUID</key><string>E34148EC23D5F493</string>
    			<key>Name</key><string>Cancel</string>
    			<key>Total Time</key><integer>1</integer>
    		</dict>
    	</dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    * cancel.m4r is the filename of the .m4r file
    * the GUID key is a unique 16 character string (AFAIK, not of any importance)
    * the Name key ("Cancel" in the above example) is the name that appears in the custom ringtone list
    * leave the Total Time key value as 1

And there you have it... a full length ringtone available for selection in Settings -> Sounds -> Ringtone

I do encourage anyone with more knowledge than I, to script this entire process.
    Last edited by bogphanny; 11-24-2007 at 12:30 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bogphanny For This Useful Post:

alb0zf1n3st (11-24-2007), j3tang (12-07-2007)

Very Very Good Thank You!! Worked Like a Charm..

thanks for the tip, but something's not working correctly.

i have 3 custom ringtones i'd like to add to my phone, but only 1 of them adds properly through iTunes. I Googled and found this tip

Let's call the working ringtone, A, the other ringtones B and C.

i followed your instructions and have added all 3 ringtones using your methodology and all of them show up in my ringtones. When i select them, i can actually hear the ringtone in its entirety. So what's the problem you ask?

When i select any of the 3 ringtones as my default ringtone, whenever anyone calls me, the Marimba ringtone sounds instead. Even ringtone A, which adds properly through iTunes. But using this methodology, none of them work as the default ringtone, nor as a specific ringtone for a certain contact.

anyone else getting this?

The longest that it can play is 30 sec any way. Whats the point of doing that? The default ringing time set by ATT is 15 or 20 sec. But there is a hack, and you can change that on the server side and make it ring longer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    When i select any of the 3 ringtones as my default ringtone, whenever anyone calls me, the Marimba ringtone sounds instead. Even ringtone A, which adds properly through iTunes. But using this methodology, none of them work as the default ringtone, nor as a specific ringtone for a certain contact.

anyone else getting this?
    This happened the first time for me, though powering the phone down and back up seemed to fix it.

On 1.1.2, I can sync up to a 40 sec ringtone and of works. 41 sec did not. iTunes showed the ringtone but would not copy it to the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    On 1.1.2, I can sync up to a 40 sec ringtone and of works. 41 sec did not. iTunes showed the ringtone but would not copy it to the phone.
    which is why I posted this howto...

Default ?
    could you explain the code a little further? as in exactly how you put it in.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>Ringtones</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>ringtone1.m4r</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>Name</key><string>Ringtone 1</string>
    		</dict>
    		<key>ringtone2.m4r</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>GUID</key><string>434328EC2350F493</string>
    			<key>Name</key><string>Ringtone 2</string>
    		</dict>
    		<key>ringtone3.m4r</key>
    		<dict>
    			<key>GUID</key><string>A23148FABF49A373</string>
    			<key>Name</key><string>Ringtone 3</string>
    		</dict>
    	</dict>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    In the example above, I've configured 3 ringtones (ringtone1.m4r, ringtone2.m4r and ringtone3.m4r).

To add a new ringtone, you just need to add a new <key /> and <dict /> pair.

<key>ringtone1.m4r</key>
    is the filename of the AAC file

I don't know how important the GUID is, though for consistency I just use a unique 16 character hex string.

<key>Name</key><string>Ringtone 1</string>
    Whatever you type between the string tags, will appear in the list of ringtones.

Keep this value as 1, as this causes the iPhone to believe it is a (really) short ringtone.

If anything is still unclear, let me know.

The way I've always done it is by using WinSCP and MECCA file already patched

- connect with WinSCP and to go /Library/Ringtones
    - drag and drop your 31sec or more .m4a file into that directory
    - then rename the .m4a to .m4r with a space before the period (ie. ring .m4r)
    and you're done!!

tested on 1.1.1 & 1.1.2

Even so, however long the song is, voicemail picks up after 4th ring, 30 seconds.

I didn't activate my voicemail cause I hate it, and I have full length songs for my ringtones, but they won't play that long cause voicemail tries to pick up.

its has been noted in other threads, but "SendSong" will do this for you with no troubles!

same rule applies, make sure you are NOT syncing ringtones, otherwise it will get removed.

Install SendSong
    Open SendSong (you will get a list of your tunes)
    press your choice, and a menu pops up, select "Send to Ringtones"
    ...et voila!

You MUST restart your iPhone before the song will actually play as a ringtone (otherwise it'll show up & you can select it, but it wont work as a ringtone)

Hope this helps ... this is how i do it lol

J

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jtanner For This Useful Post:

ABT4 (12-18-2007)

I just tried jtanner's above method and it worked like a charm! I tried it before but didnt restart so it didnt work. tried it this time and restarted like stated above and it works perfectly fine!
    1.1.2 firmware.

you've been thanked good sir.

ok upon further messing around, any sync will remove the song. not much of a problem since i rarely sync. Nut I have the option to sync ringtones unchecked so.. anything else i'm missing?
    Last edited by ABT4; 12-18-2007 at 09:40 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DirtyDan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xplod4202 View Post
    The longest that it can play is 30 sec any way. Whats the point of doing that? The default ringing time set by ATT is 15 or 20 sec. But there is a hack, and you can change that on the server side and make it ring longer.
    Yes but you can get in trouble with ATT for jacking with server side issues. I agree though, what is the point? I know if I called someone, and it rang for more than 30 seconds I would hang up. Nobody is going to sit and listen to three minutes of ringing, probably not even one. That's just my $.02

Guys, just use my easy way. I posted it in the File Modding forum...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Honestly...who lets their phone ring for 30 seconds without silencing it? Or if you are not around and miss the call, in which case you wouldn't need to hear the ringtone for 30 seconds anyway?

I'm confused why anyone would want this. Most of the time it is gone to VM by the time 30 seconds comes up anyways.

i have made it to the correct directory but i can not edit the plist. i dont know how to open it. should i put it on my desk top?

sause

t***

Isn't the easiest way to add a custom ringtone navigating with WinSCP (or any other SFTP client) to

Code:
    /Library/Ringtones
    and copying over there what you desire for a tune?

Default My first post
    Hello everyone

I'm Jurgen and I would like to welcome all forum members...
    Hope to have a good time here.

Jurgen