Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BatteryBox is the Ultimate Portable Power Source for Your Mac and iOS Devices

Default BatteryBox is the Ultimate Portable Power Source for Your Mac and iOS Devices

As the world becomes more mobile, we become more dependent on our batteries to store enough power to keep us online throughout the day. Current battery technology is evolving to squeeze every last drop of power out of our batteries using both hardware and software to do so, but still people demand more.

For iPhone users, getting the low power alert is a common screen that we’re sure you’ve all experienced at one time or another. Don’t you just hate the feeling you get in your gut when you know your iPhone is about die? The feeling of not being able to play that game a little longer because you know it’s going to kill it even faster?

If so, then maybe you need a portable power source. One that we’ve really been enjoying as of late is one called the BatteryBox, which is a revolutionary portable power source that works in incredible new ways. BatteryBox is compatible with not only your mobile devices powered by USB, but also your MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

Interested yet?

There’s more. BatteryBox isn’t really that big. It’ll fit in just about any purse, deep pocket, backpack, or center console cup holder in a car, but it packs a whopping 60 Wh battery (that’s 16,000 mAh, more than 5x the capacity of your iPhone 6 Plus’s battery) that can keep your devices powered all day long (or longer). So it definitely packs some portable juice.

So yeah... you've probably already heard of, or tried various portable battery packs, or you even have a battery case on your iPhone. But BatteryBox will blow that stuff out of the water.

It has a special feature, especially for Macs, that allows it to actually power the device as if you had it plugged into the wall, rather than charging your Mac's battery. In turn, this actually preserves your Mac's battery without putting extra wear and tear on it while still giving you the juice you need. You'll notice on the BatteryBox connector for your Mac's MagSafe port that one of the pins is missing - this is the pin that usually charges the battery:

BatteryBox can give your MacBook Air up to 13 extra hours of life or your MacBook Pro up to 7.4 extra hours of life. Depending on the model that you have, you'll have to use one of the supplied adapters. Adapters are included for the 15 & 13-inch MacBook Pros, as well as the 13 & 11-inch MacBook Airs. They simply snap onto the plug so it'll stay fastened to the computer (Apple doesn't allow third-party companies to mimic its MagSafe design):

The BatteryBox also has a USB output on it that works with all iPhones, iPads, iPod touches, Apple Watches, or even Android devices:

The BatteryBox can charge your iPhone 6 up to 11 times before it has to be recharged again, which means you're pretty much up and running for nearly 1/3 of a month before you ever have to be tethered to a wall ever again.

You'll notice that the Mac's MagSafe connector wire is actually one piece with the BatteryBox and is not removable from the BatteryBox like USB cables are. This is something we wish we could remove for clutter's sake, although the adapters that come with BatteryBox include a small snap channel on them that allows the plug to be wrapped around and fastened to the BatteryBox so it doesn't just flop around:

Moreover, those little white dots you see on the top of BatteryBox are actually LED battery life indicators. You can press on the button to have the LED lights shine and tell you how much battery life you have left. They shine green, and in this case, you can see that we have 4/5 of our battery capacity left:

And the BatteryBox also includes its own USB wall charging AC adapter and plug so that you can charge it up overnight. One end is a regular USB end, which plugs into the AC adapter, while the other end is a Micro-USB end, which plugs into the BatteryBox itself to charge it:

BatteryBox can be charged up to 3000 times before its rated cycle count is up. This is a big breakthrough, as many competing portable batteries can only be charged through around 300-800 cycles before they need to be replaced. BatteryBox is powered by BatteryOS, which is an internal battery operating system that helps monitor the battery's health and keeps it running at peak efficiency.

Now BatteryBox actually works insanely well.

Because I'm somewhat of a bugger for excellent battery life, I made sure to put this thing through some drastic testing to see if it really works up to its standards, and I am pleased to say that it does indeed offer excellent battery gains for not only the iPhone, but for other Apple accessories too. It also does a great job of adding extra battery life to the MacBook Pro that I use.

I used the BatteryBox to add constant power to my MacBook Pro while I re-watched the Terminator movie series as I get ready to watch Terminator Genisys, which hits theaters next month, but I also used it to keep my iPhone charged all day long while I played the GPU-intensive game Fallout Shelter so that I wouldn't have to take any charging breaks. I played for about 10 hours, on and off, and at the end of the day, the BatteryBox still had about 4/5 of its charge left.

To put it in English for those that are doubtful, you just can't kill this thing. It's going to keep your devices powered all day long and we're sure of it.

It's also very well made. It isn't some cheap China stuff you'd expect to buy on Ebay or elsewhere, the BatteryBox is encased in a durable plastic case with nice thick wire connectors and quality etching. The LED battery life indicators are nice and bright too.

We are very impressed with BatteryBox and we think you'll love it if you need more life for your devices. Without further ado, let's look at some pros and cons for the BatteryBox:

Pros:

• Incredible battery life results. This 60 Wh battery will last all day, maybe even a few days in a row.
    • Nice and compact and will fit in most storage locations, or even on the desk by your machine.
    • Unique power-only feature for Mac preserves the life of your MacBook without damaging its OEM battery.
    • BatteryOS keeps the battery running at peak efficiency.
    • Fast charging and 3000-cycle life gives it ultimate usefulness and long service life.

Cons:

• The Mac's MagSafe adapter wire cannot be removed from BatteryBox, which adds clutter when not in use.
    • Only works with latest MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs with MagSafe 2 port.
    • It's pricey.

BatteryBox retails for $219.95 with free shipping on the company's Web site, which might be out of budget for many people. But if you're serious about battery life, this is by far the best portable power sources we have ever used. It gets an easy 4.5 out of 5 leaves:

But seriously guys, if portable power is something you need, don't settle for cheap stuff that won't last or presents higher risks of fire hazards. This is some quality stuff right here. For more information on BatteryBox, you can visit the company's Web site at this link.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 06-17-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: fixed typo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

IRoyxx (07-27-2015)

I have this, only issue I have with it is the MagSafe adapter clip doesn't work if you have a hard case on the laptop.

I reached out to them, their fix was to remove the case.... Let's break this down, you guys want me to remove the protection on my $2k+ laptop for something that should have been considered during the design phase.

Luckily I got the battery for $139

I might buy an extra MagSafe 2 cable and just desolder theirs.

Hey!

My name's Tim, I'm one of the founders at BatteryBox. Thank you Anthony & ModMyi for the review!

Cheveli, fair enough and very true - our product won't work if you have a hard case on.
    However, this was definitely considered in the design phase. Let me explain why we chose to make the clip the way we did.

Connector design
    When designing the connector, we wanted to nail down 3 things perfectly:

1. Usability and functionality - the connector had to be easy to attach and easy to detach, as well as release upon accidental hits
    2. Durability - the connector had to work every time, without fail - and do so for years on end
    3. Compatibility - the connector had to be compatible with every different version of the MacBook laptop

The SnapFit connector is the combination of these 3 things.

Why it's not compatible with hardshell cases
    *just a note, some hardshell cases do work: Amazon.com: Kuzy - BLACK Rubberized Hard Case Cover for Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" with Retina Display Model: A1398 (NEWEST VERSION) 15-Inch - BLACK: Computers & Accessories

The reason why a hardshell case wouldn't be compatible is because of this tab:

The problem with this tab is that it's right in the line of draw with the hinge of the MacBook screen, which is what we use to attach and stay connected to the MacBook (click here for YouTube video of how it attaches).

When we were making prototypes, we actually bought a few hardshell cases and made some designs that went around that tab. However after testing different ways of designing around it, we decided not to go with it because the SnapFit clip was much harder to connect to the computer, and ended up being less durable (due to the fact that we couldn't implement proper material support features).

To us, the most important thing was to create a product that worked well, and the SnapFit clip is a huge part of that. We didn't want to compromise the usability or durability of BatteryBox only because of certain models of hardshell cases.

That being said, it sucks you can't use BatteryBox because of your hardshell. You shouldn't have to choose between protecting your computer, or extending its battery life. If you send me a PM, I'd be happy to hook you up with a hardshell case that will fit your computer and also work with BatteryBox.
    Last edited by lithiumlife; 06-19-2015 at 11:31 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wow! Can't say I have seen service like that, ever! Props to BatteryBox... I travel a lot and on my Tampa-LosAngeles flights this would be awesome. Sometimes I fly out in the morning and back that night so I don't always have a chance to charge my MacBook Air completely before takeoff. I work for a tech firm and we sell Apple hardware so it may be something we could recommend to our customers. Where is the best place to order and how do we get the $139 price the other poster mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by bigscrb15 View Post
    Wow! Can't say I have seen service like that, ever! Props to BatteryBox... I travel a lot and on my Tampa-LosAngeles flights this would be awesome. Sometimes I fly out in the morning and back that night so I don't always have a chance to charge my MacBook Air completely before takeoff. I work for a tech firm and we sell Apple hardware so it may be something we could recommend to our customers. Where is the best place to order and how do we get the $139 price the other poster mentioned?
    Thanks for the kind words

The best place to order for the USA is off our website: https://www.getbatterybox.com. The $139.95 order price was actually when we were doing pre-orders for the product - $219.95 is the retail price.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lithiumlife For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (06-23-2015)

Thanks for helping out Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by lithiumlife View Post
    Hey!

My name's Tim, I'm one of the founders at BatteryBox. Thank you Anthony & ModMyi for the review!

Cheveli, fair enough and very true - our product won't work if you have a hard case on.
    However, this was definitely considered in the design phase. Let me explain why we chose to make the clip the way we did.

Connector design
    When designing the connector, we wanted to nail down 3 things perfectly:

1. Usability and functionality - the connector had to be easy to attach and easy to detach, as well as release upon accidental hits
    2. Durability - the connector had to work every time, without fail - and do so for years on end
    3. Compatibility - the connector had to be compatible with every different version of the MacBook laptop

The SnapFit connector is the combination of these 3 things.

Why it's not compatible with hardshell cases
    *just a note, some hardshell cases do work: Amazon.com: Kuzy - BLACK Rubberized Hard Case Cover for Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" with Retina Display Model: A1398 (NEWEST VERSION) 15-Inch - BLACK: Computers & Accessories

The reason why a hardshell case wouldn't be compatible is because of this tab:

The problem with this tab is that it's right in the line of draw with the hinge of the MacBook screen, which is what we use to attach and stay connected to the MacBook (click here for YouTube video of how it attaches).

When we were making prototypes, we actually bought a few hardshell cases and made some designs that went around that tab. However after testing different ways of designing around it, we decided not to go with it because the SnapFit clip was much harder to connect to the computer, and ended up being less durable (due to the fact that we couldn't implement proper material support features).

To us, the most important thing was to create a product that worked well, and the SnapFit clip is a huge part of that. We didn't want to compromise the usability or durability of BatteryBox only because of certain models of hardshell cases.

That being said, it sucks you can't use BatteryBox because of your hardshell. You shouldn't have to choose between protecting your computer, or extending its battery life. If you send me a PM, I'd be happy to hook you up with a hardshell case that will fit your computer and also work with BatteryBox.

PM sent

Just wanted to follow up and say that I reached out to Tim and not only did he respond quickly but went beyond the norm.

I am now able to use my batterybox and getting ready for a trip with no concerns about my battery life while on the plane :-)

I cant seem to able to post the pics though. :-(

Once again want to thank Tim and the BatteryBox crew .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the sharing this type of review with us..