Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's New iPhone 5S Case is Both Gorgeous and Comfortable

Default Apple's New iPhone 5S Case is Both Gorgeous and Comfortable

When Apple unveiled the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C, they also unveiled a number of new cases for the devices. Apple manufactures these cases themselves, and they are made to fit the devices perfectly, down to every detail.

Today, we’ll be looking at Apple’s iPhone 5S case. Despite the name, the case is compatible with both the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5. This is a luxurious case made from aniline leather, this means that over a long period of time, the coloring of the case may change due to the oils that come from your fingers, as well as natural fading. We’ve picked up the black version of the case to show you.

As you can see through the packaging above, the back of the case actually has an Apple logo pressed into the leather. This is a notable detail, since many cases actually hide this iconic logo.

Because the exterior of both the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S handsets is so delicate and can be scratched very easily, Apple covered the interior of their case with a soft microfiber, almost fuzzy interior that prevents any scuffing to the metal of the iPhone:

When you place your iPhone into the case, you'll hear a snap, confirming that the iPhone has been properly seated into the case. As you can see, the case hugs the iPhone tightly:

The front face of the iPhone is very easily accessible; it’s not covered by any kind of goofy skins. By Apple’s nature, this case is minimalistic. The front access is important for the iPhone 5S because nothing can cover the fingerprint scanner for it to work properly.

Apple also takes careful attention when making sure all of the device’s ports are easily accessible, and that the speaker and microphone grilles are drilled to perfection. Each of the holes line up perfectly, and the Lightning port has a nice wide opening for all of Apple’s Lightning connectors, and a number of third party connectors. Notably, the headphone jack is a bit tight and won’t work with all connectors, but does work well with Apple’s EarPods:

The volume buttons, as well as the sleep/wake button, are covered by the leather case, but a raised bump indicates where the buttons are. The ring/silent switch can be reached through the small hole in the case with ease:

As for the camera, you’ll notice just the right sized opening with a black ring around it to prevent flash glare. There is plenty of room for both the iPhone 5’s smaller flash, and the iPhone 5S’ dual-flash:

While you can see pictures of the case, pictures won’t do the case justice. Leather is a very grippy material, and because of this, it feels so right in your hand. There is a lot of grip, so you don’t feel like Butterfingers while using your iPhone. In addition, the case's low profile makes it feel light and right. The craftsmanship of the case gives you the sure feeling that it will last for a long time, possibly even longer than the iPhone itself.

The iPhone 5S case from Apple is available in Black, Yellow, Blue, Orange, Red, and Tan. It retails for $39.00 on Apple's Web site, and if you're looking for a minimalistic and sleek-looking case for your iPhone that will protect it from mild drops and prevent scratches to the aluminum, then this is the case for you.

Because of the stylish look and sturdy design, we're giving Apple's iPhone 5S case 4 out 5 leaves.

Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-03-2013 at 12:03 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Will719 (06-02-2014)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

When are you guys gonna report on iBeacon?

I'm sorry... but I disagree with it's level of comfort. It requires much more strength to press the lock/unlock, and the device feels more likely to fall out of my hand than without. I thought I would love it, but it's not real leather and feels plastic-y. I'm going to return mine.

Also, this is small, but I noticed that the microphone holes don't match up with the iPhone 5S's, while the speaker does.

I'm diggin my element ronin. I have the apple case and it does feel cheap. For leather look at sena cases.

I've had my tan(brown) case for a week now and the buttons are getting a better tactile feel now, very tight at first, also the leather is starting to get that aged look and it feels great. This is a great case for me!

I like this case. Its pretty simplistic and minimalistic which is exactly what I like. I had a nightmare buying the iPhone 5s on launch and was in the Apple store for hours, in the end they handed me a free case of my choice so I chose this one and I haven't regretted it once.

I called Apple yesterday to ask when my 5s was going to be shipped out. I talked to a wonderful woman on the phone who told me she was very sorry but had no idea when it would ship out. She says "Sometime in October". She felt bad for me so she upgraded my shipping method to expedited. After talking with her for a few more minutes, she says "You didn't get the Apple care program? Well, we want you to take care of your phone, so how about a new case? Which color do you want?"

So that was yesterday. I got an email today saying it was out for delivery already. I got the black one.

True story.

I ordered the 5s and the leather case within 30 minutes of go live guess what one I have and which one will allegedly ship in October
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

I have the red one on, I like it a lot but a few people mistaken it for the 5c which I don't really mind and the edges get dirty easily I haven't tried cleaning it since it's leather but I do like the worn look, I mean this wouldn't happen on a much darker case though but overall it's over priced for what it is but it's simple and nice
    dont you hate it when someones signature looks like someones post?

what a game

Got this case with my 5S. I thought it was expensive, and still do, but I think it’s probably worth it as it’s the best case I’ve ever owned IMHO; it is the perfect balance of protection and minimalism.

Just the fit and finish of the case alone makes it worth more than third party cases. It is really snug, but not next to impossible to remove like my wife’s iPhone 5 case. The texture is good to grip, but not so grippy that is difficult to slip in and out of my pocket like some leather/rubber cases. The interior microfiber is very nice touch as I’ve had third party cases actually scratch my phone!

I also like that Apple just went with a subtle embossed logo on the back rather than a differently-colored logo that would really stand out. It’s hardly noticeable unless looking at it close up. Overall, with my space gray phone in the black case it has a very sleek minimalist look that I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Fimeg View Post
    I'm sorry... but I disagree with it's level of comfort. It requires much more strength to press the lock/unlock, and the device feels more likely to fall out of my hand than without. I thought I would love it, but it's not real leather and feels plastic-y. I'm going to return mine.

Also, this is small, but I noticed that the microphone holes don't match up with the iPhone 5S's, while the speaker does.
    Wow, maybe you got a bad case? All the openings on mine are dead-on with the phone, even the tiny mic and speaker holes.

As far as your comment about grip, I just canít understand that. The phone itself is complete smooth and slick while the case is textured and soft. Unless youíre getting a better grip from the chamfered edges that isnít there on the case, I think youíre way off.
    Last edited by fleurya; 10-03-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Note that the case is hardened leather making it hard to remove sometimes unlike if you think it will be easy to remove and apply. So it can be annoying with docks or special car chargers.

Also wayyyy overpriced :P

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    I called Apple yesterday to ask when my 5s was going to be shipped out. I talked to a wonderful woman on the phone who told me she was very sorry but had no idea when it would ship out. She says "Sometime in October". She felt bad for me so she upgraded my shipping method to expedited. After talking with her for a few more minutes, she says "You didn't get the Apple care program? Well, we want you to take care of your phone, so how about a new case? Which color do you want?"

So that was yesterday. I got an email today saying it was out for delivery already. I got the black one.

True story.
    Yea apple customer service is awesome. I called to change my shipping address and the guy threw in one of these cases for free as well. I got my case in the mail already. Now im just waiting on the phone which will be here next Thursday.
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

What's Jailbreak? Brandonforcey's Avatar
    Thanks
    Best case I've ever had! I love it! i got the red one and couldn't be happier, it really soft and feels amazing, fits perfectly and makes my iPhone stand out and look incredible! going to be buying many more different colours

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post

True story.
    Those things never happened to me when I have an issue and I buy AppleCare

Yawn. This does nothing to protect the screen. PASS.

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    When you set it screen down, the screen doesn't actually laying on the surface because the case leaves a slight ridge over the screen.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (10-04-2013)

That's why it's called a "case" not "screen protector".

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Are people that rough on their phones? I'm an avid outdoorsman, yet I love this case! I don't routinely drop my phone, although I have on occasion, and this case offers good protection for the average user. I'm on my third iPhone since the 3GS, and I've never seemed to have the problems that some others do... I guess when you pay $400 dollars for a device that costs $850 to replace, you tend not to be rough on it?

Just went to the apple store today and purchased the case. I was in need for a nice case and i knew it was overpriced but im a sucker for apple products because they are lovely so i got it. Best case i've ever had. Love the feel and look of it, certainly doesn't look cheap. And being aniline leather it will require care if you want to keep it in good condition. Luckily i have leather preservative for my car seats so i can easily use it on this case.

Are the sizes of iPhone 4S and iPhone5 the same? I'm looking to order a cover from an online shop but that shop only sells iPhone 5 covers..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast