+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Look At the Incipio Stowaway Case for iPhone 5

is a discussion within the

Reviews

forums, a part of the

iOS and OS X Reviews

section;
Today we continue our peek at iPhone 5 cases for the week to help you out in discovering some neat cases to get your iPhone 5-owning friends and family for
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default A Look At the Incipio Stowaway Case for iPhone 5

Today we continue our peek at iPhone 5 cases for the week to help you out in discovering some neat cases to get your iPhone 5-owning friends and family for the holidays. Yesterday we showed you the Incipio Stashback case for the iPhone 5, and today we’re giving you an inside look at the Incipio Stowaway case for the iPhone 5.

One thing you can tell right off the bat is that this case has its own kickstand built into it. If you had noticed, all of the other cases we’ve showed you this week have been propped up on a foldable Incipio stand. Being that this case has its own kickstand built into it, it doesn’t have a need for this foldable stand. This stand makes it easy to watch videos, place FaceTime calls, and even put up a nice photograph slideshow on your desk at work.

The stand has a rubber grip on the bottom of the area that props your iPhone 5 up, so it won’t slide when you get it in just the precise spot. Of course, there’s more to it. The case gets the name “Stowaway” for being a case that can stow something away. Like yesterday’s Incipio Stashback, the Incipio Stowaway case can hold credit cards:

Noticeably so, the Incipio Stowaway holds your credit cards in a much more preferred manner. The Incipio Stowaway is much more sturdy than the Incipio Stashback and has a door on the rear of the case with the Incipio logo displayed on the inside of the door. On the top and bottom of the credit card holder are rubber teeth that firmly hold your credit cards in place so they don’t slip out. Additionally, the case comes with a rear iPhone protector, much like a screen protector, to keep the credit cards from scratching or damaging the anodized aluminum on the rear of the iPhone.

Unlike the Incipio Stashback, which was a slide-in case, the Incipio Stowaway case is more of a snap-on case, meaning that you insert one side of your iPhone first, and firmly press down on the other side until you hear it click into place.

Once the door is closed, we get a glance at the design of the case. It’s pretty sharp looking, and the Incipio logo can be found on the rear of the door. The case is made of one solid color with a secondary color trim of your choice. There is a nice open hole in the rear, making room for the Camera lens, rear-facing microphone, and LED flash without getting in the way of your photography. The colored trim moves away from the camera hole, where it wraps around the side and over the volume buttons, to the front, where it can be seen around the whole frontal bezel of the iPhone.

The volume buttons are covered in a colored, silicon overlay to help prevent scratches to the buttons, however the ringer/silent switch is exposed so you can switch it easily on demand. It’s a little more difficult to reach the switch than it was on the Incipio Stashback case. The bezel surrounds the entire front of the iPhone, so you can lay the iPhone face-down on a table with confidence – the case comes with a screen protector too, so you have all the protection you could ever need for the front.

The whole front of the case is open for you, with nothing covering the home button, touch screen, front-facing camera, or front-facing speaker.

The power button is covered in a colored, silicon overlay to assist in keeping away the wear and tear on the button over time.

The bottom of the case has rather closed access to the lightning connector, 3.5mm headphone/speaker jack, speaker, and microphone. There are three separate openings. The lightning connector won’t see any issues connecting to the device, however the limiting space for the 3.5mm headphone/speaker jack means that only a handful of speaker accessories will work with this case. No major sound quality differences were noticed with the speaker and microphone being just a little bit suffocated by the case.

The Incipio Stowaway feels very solid in your hand. It doesn’t feel like there are any moving parts, even though there is the stowaway door on the rear. It can definitely hold up to some moderate drops because of the beefy plastic case and inner silicon for helping to absorb bump and drop shock to your iPhone.

The Incipio Stowaway retails for $34.99 and comes in the following color choices on Incipio's Web site:
    • Cherry Blossom Pink with Charcoal Gray trim
    • Obsidian Black with Obsidian Black trim
    • Optical White with Charcoal Gray trim
    • Royal Purple with Optical White trim
    • Optical White with Cyan Blue trim

Being that the case functions for not only protection, but also as a kickstand, and a credit card holder, the Incipio Stowaway case is a good all-in-one case to look into. It has a very solid appearance and it’s comfortable to hold. We're giving the Incipio Stowaway 3.5 out of 5 leaves because it offers such a useful variety of features without sacrificing protection and style, but it needs more access to the headphone/speaker jack.

Each unit comes with a complimentary microfiber cloth and screen protector as well as the rear iPhone protector.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 11-28-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks

Looks to bulky but every hold your card/id case are.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Zon
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Stowaway
    Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    Looks to bulky but every hold your card/id case are.
    These won't be holding credit cards in Washington and Colorado.

Thanks

is ModMyi sponsored by Incipio... just curious ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Zon View Post
    if only there was a built-in bowl...
    Last edited by twitchee3; 11-28-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Thanks

Damn straight.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why do you say that? Amend. 64???

iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Thanks

I think ill stick with the case I have already

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pedwily View Post
    Why do you say that? Amend. 64???
    thanks to the voters in those states, this case could be used to legally 'stash' a certain herbal remedy quite popular among iPhone users ;-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

one word,,, ugly

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

OMG please stop with the constant Incipio reviews. They are all hideous.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Looks like you need a new camera. You have a stuck red pixel.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If i wanted to cover my beautiful Iphone with a piece of cheap plastic... I'd have just bought the samsung Galaxy S3. sheesh.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

That way the thief gets your stash and an iphone...
    making it all the more desirable for the local degenerates.....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Plastic case is not my favor,it's easy to get break and will harm the phone itself by its sharp material.Actually cases now are all very cheap,i have a Quicksand case which hold the phone very well and anti slide,i got it for only $17.99 with free shipping.
    See it here:Rock Quicksand Case for Galaxy S3

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i dont see that holding cards thing necesary tbh