+ Reply
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GIVEAWAY - Unlocking the iPhone 5

is a discussion within the

Reviews

forums, a part of the

iOS and OS X Reviews

section;
Originally Posted by Simon Here we go with these US centric stats again lol . You know there is a whole world out there besides the carriers in the US
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,708 Times in 4,397 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Here we go with these US centric stats again lol . You know there is a whole world out there besides the carriers in the US right
    A lot of the IMEI sites including the one I use can do carriers from all over the world, Canada, UK, France, Australia and the list goes on. This has been going on for over a year for other carriers. ATT is the fledging of them just starting these official unlocks in April of this year.
    But there ISN'T a flood of world CDMA carriers, Simon. That's the point. CDMA (Verizon, Sprint in American) is unique to this side of the pond. The rest of the world is GSM.. The context of my answer was CDMA phones.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,018 Times in 6,925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    But there ISN'T a flood of world CDMA carriers, Simon. That's the point. CDMA (Verizon, Sprint in American) is unique to this side of the pond. The rest of the world is GSM.. The context of my answer was CDMA phones.
    You answered this:
    Hey guys, do you mind adding also the operator when you announce successful i5 unlocks?
    Just wondering if all these are just for AT&T.
    Thanks
    with this:

99.8% are for AT&T only. And the new iPhone 5s from Verizon already come unlocked - so no need to pay for an unlock service.
    So not sure what you are trying to say. Not making sense with saying this:

Thanks

So not sure what you are trying to say. Not making sense with saying this:
    C'mon, Simon.. :-).. The "obvious" context of this post:

Hey guys, do you mind adding also the carrier when you announce successful i5 unlocks?
    Just wondering if all these are just for AT&T.
    Thanks
    ...was hoping to find unlock services for CDMA phones. Otherwise he wouldn't have been asking for 'carrier' (operator) distinction when we post unlock sites. My response to him was exactly what we was looking for --- he wanted to know from us CDMA carrier unlock services. There's really no other way to interpret his question, sir. :-)

So I answered his this way..
    99.8% are for AT&T only. And the new iPhone 5s from Verizon already come unlocked - so no need to pay for an unlock service.
    Please tell me you can see that context..... ;-)

I certainly had no problem with you referring to many different carriers around the world -- but those 'many different' carriers aren't CDMA. Knowing more GSM carriers wouldn't have solved his problem - which seemed clear to me.

Thanks

I don't see the connection at all. He didn't mention CDMA iPhones in his post anywhere and I don't find it obvious that he was referring to them at all. Looked to me like you were just assuming he was.

Thanks

I don't see the connection at all. He didn't mention CDMA iPhones in his post anywhere and I don't find it obvious that he was referring to them at all. Looked to me like you were just assuming he was.
    So '..Just wondering if all these are just for AT&T"-- doesn't indicate to you that he's American and that the only 'other' service he'd be looking for is the only other carrier type we have in Amerca, CDMA? Okay. Fair enough. It was obvious to me. And he didn't ask for clarification. So I guess he got his answer.

And you always give me good answers too, Simon! Thanks! Sorry we can't agree on this point.

And you're right - we do get a bit "Americo-centric" over here. Fair enough..

Moving on.. :-)
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 09-25-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks

Nope. Doesn't indicate that to me at all. I guess that is because I am not American.

Thanks

Nope. Doesn't indicate that to me at all. I guess that is because I am not American.
    Exactly! Now we agree. ;-)
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 09-25-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Exactly! Now we agree. ;-)
    Lol, ok

Livin the iPhone Life Sniper488's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol, now that's funny!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have no idea how those services are legal, since technically you're not supposed to be allowed to ask for an unlock if you are still on contract. Maybe those sites - iUnloc.kr, NegriElectronics.com, unlockstation.com - are "legit", but I don't see how anyone with an AT&T iPhone can use them unless we're talking off-contract (eBay etc.) purchased phones. Right?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RiotNrrrd View Post
    I have no idea how those services are legal, since technically you're not supposed to be allowed to ask for an unlock if you are still on contract. Maybe those sites - iUnloc.kr, NegriElectronics.com, unlockstation.com - are "legit", but I don't see how anyone with an AT&T iPhone can use them unless we're talking off-contract (eBay etc.) purchased phones. Right?
    Wrong my iPhone 5 is unlocked and I just signed a new 2 year with AT&T.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RiotNrrrd View Post
    I battled with this in my mind too, like you are Riot. What ends up happening is that that the 'legit' places have an agreement with AT&T for 'x' amount of 'in contract' unlocks. And the unlock service pays AT&T for that block. AT&T isn't stupid - they know there are software hacked unlocks and Gevey Sims which can be purchased to unlock 'at will'. AT&T sorta 'plays the game' knowing that people are gonna do what they do and that hackers are everywhere and can do anything. So they figure - okay -- let's find a way we can keep SOME of the $ we're losing here.. So they lease 10's of thousands of IMEI unlocks to 3rd party sellers.. AT&T gets a little $ for things they would have lost probably anyway - and the eBay sellers and other unlock services make a buck too. Everybody's happy.

Yes - AT&T knows it's losing millions on overseas calling charges by people unlocking - but think about it.. You STILL have to pay your contract out through the 2 years - or they sue you and you still have to pay up to half the original contract. It's not like you're going to unlock your in contract AT&T phone - put a TMobile sim in it and never pay AT&T again. You can't. You still have to pay you AT&T bill every month unless you cancel contract and then pay the accelerated fee to get out of the contract.

So - AT&T LIVES with the lost $ for people using phones overseas.

AT&T themselves will unlock your phone when it's out of contract - so don't ever pay for an unlock service online when your phone's OUT OF contract. They'll do it for free.

So call it a 'symbiotic' relationship between AT&T and the hacker community and the eBay selling community.

Ya understand? :-)

But all PERFECTLY LEGAL.. Something AT&T and other carriers just 'live with' and build into their pricing.

Green Apple
    Thanks

About the generosity of AT&T unlocking a phone off contract, even at the request of the original contract owner, it's just a myth or at best a hit and miss process, I know from my own experience, you're doing well if 25% of the request are successful. Yet, paying even $20. Using a third party to unlock, my actual experience is 100% and WITHIN the time promised. The AT&T request process
    Is badly broken!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by X242 View Post
    About the generosity of AT&T unlocking a phone off contract, even at the request of the original contract owner, it's just a myth or at best a hit and miss process, I know from my own experience, you're doing well if 25% of the request are successful. Yet, paying even $20. Using a third party to unlock, my actual experience is 100% and WITHIN the time promised. The AT&T request process
    Is badly broken!!
    In contract? - yes, badly broken... I would agree with you. Out of contract? Works perfectly w/AT&T. I've had 100% success rate on phone call or live chat with them over 5 phones I've sold. It's in their contract that they WILL unlock at satisfaction of contract. 2 of the 5 were 'original owner not me' scenarios. Again - Easy AT&T unlock. The other 3 of 5 were personal phones out of contract.

Sorry we disagree - but it's a waste of $ to use an unlock service for out of contract phones.

But $8 (for the average 24 hour unlock service) is pretty cheap to pay for 'zero' potential of AT&T getting weird on you. We can agree on that point.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 10-30-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

+ Reply
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789