+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [GIVEAWAY] Focal XS Book Stereo Music System

is a discussion within the

Reviews

forums, a part of the

iOS and OS X Reviews

section;
I love audio. I've been playing live music for almost 15 years, and I love everything about the musical process. And of course, like most of us do... I always
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,222 Posts

Default [GIVEAWAY] Focal XS Book Stereo Music System

I love audio. I've been playing live music for almost 15 years, and I love everything about the musical process. And of course, like most of us do... I always have music playing around the house and while working. So I was excited to take a look at Focal's high-end stereo powered speaker set.

Focal has been creating high fidelity loudspeakers for over 30 years, out of their single production site in Saint-Etienne, France. They're a cool company - everything they do from design to production is completed in-house. Not something a lot of companies can say these days.

In the Box

In the box with these speakers are three separate power cables (depending on your country's outlet type), an RCA cable and a 3.5 mm cable, as well as the cable to connect the right speaker to the left. The shielded cables feel like quality, although perhaps not audiophile (no gold tips, etc, here). Each speaker is finished in a brushed aluminum which matches your Mac's look perfectly. The grills are your typical black material, and stripe down the middle of the speakers. The front comes off to check out the actual speaker domes, but the top does not.

On the side of each speaker is written FOCAL XS Book Music System... you know, in case you forget what those large speakers are. The Focal symbol is also attached to each speaker on the grill, near the bottom. The right speaker has a light which comes on behind the grill when the speakers are powered on.

Design

Volume is controlled by a black hard rubber click-wheel on top of the right speaker. The XS Book pair cranks pretty loud, too - in testing I was able to fill up my office to the point where I could hear the music on the other side of the house. The production quality on these speakers is high - clean edges, solid curves, and a minimalist design.

Built for a digital lifestyle, the Focal XS Book setup has two types of input on the back - 3.5 mm and RCA. No fiber optic here - these are meant to be a high-end bookshelf or desktop speaker pair, not a home theater setup. I plugged in my iPhone with the included cable to rock some tunes, and loved the sound.

The back of each speaker has areas for speaker mounts, and the bottom of each speaker has a rubber area which points the speakers slightly up as they stand.

Sound

20W per speaker push out a lot of volume here (the box says an SPL max of 96db, although I didn't test that precisely). These speakers push for accurate sound and clarity - you will definitely feel the punchiness of bass, but won't be shaking your walls. Each XS Book speaker features a 10cm polyglass (a Focal staple) woofer and an aluminum tweeter.

I listened to a variety of music through these - Flaming Lips, Jay-Z, Lily Allen, Beatles, Atmosphere, Foster the People. The quality is superb - clear, sharp treble mixes cleanly with punchy, tight bottom end. These could even be used as a mid-range reference monitor - they're that accurate. The mid range was also full, perhaps a little further back than the highs and lows, but that was probably more due to the audio format (iTunes downloaded content) than the speaker.

Playing a movie through the XS Books also gave plenty of volume and crystal clear reproduction of the sound. Don't expect to rumble your walls with these - it's not that type of sound. The low end is present and full - but it's all punch and less thump.

All in all, I was very impressed by these speakers - I'd like to get myself a pair to place on my desk. The Focal XS Book speakers deliver stellar sound from a beautiful design; these guys are serious about design, and great audio craftsmen.

Of course, for that - you pay. $399 at Amazon seems a fair price for speakers of this quality. And they're well worth it. They've also agreed to give away a pair of these to a ModMyi.com reader - leave a comment on this review with your thoughts, and use the widget below to get entries into the giveaway.

Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 03-29-2012 at 12:53 PM.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Entering now! Hope I win .... I've been looking for something for my work van!

The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 411 Posts

hmmm I would definitely like to have these. they look nice

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Very nice and sleek. Would look great in my new office.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Legit. Would love these.

Thanks

These speakers look nice.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I've entered so many give aways already and entered the max points with twitter, facebook, and additional comments - I feel like I'm never going to win anything - ;( these speakers are amazing and mine just broke - it's like a match made in heaven... want to help a dude out who's down on his luck? - I been following you guys since this was modmyiphone.com wayyy back when, I know I never commented much back then but I was on this site daily! Whenever my friends need any help I always refer everyone to this site! I <3 MODMYI - please <3 me back?? Show some love please!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

great review, great audio accessory! definetly a must have!

i would love to win them!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is an awesome pair of speakers!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Talking This Product is Amazing!!!
    Promises an enormous amount of sound!
    This is exactly what I need for my place in College!
    Listening to music coming from internal iPhone speakers is just not cutting it.

Hope to win!

Thanks

They look great! I've been looking to get some speakers, but I haven't had the time to really see what I need and can afford.

iPhone? More like MyPhone The Guz's Avatar
    Thanks

Those look great. They would come in handy at small family functions besides the personal use.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    These look awesome I have been needing a new set of speakers for a while now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 186 Posts

awesome

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

good speakers make the biggest difference in terms of music...being bottlenecked cuz you got a cheap pair isn't enjoyable at all!

Thanks
    they look very good.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Focal makes great speakers. I hope I win a set!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This would go great on my desk. Thanks MMi.

Thanks

I hope I win these
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Green Apple
    Thanks

The silver doesn't seem to match. I bet it'd look really nice in a wood color.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast