I know some folks who take their chances with an iDevice having no screen protection, and Iíve never felt safe without protection (thereís a Quotable Quote for you). The first thing I do when I get a new iPhone, iPad, or whatver Apple decides to come out with next (no, really, itís for work, thatís why, I swear)is go shop for something to protect the screen with. The iOS is a finger-magnet, and the usefulness of the iOS devices means they get dragged around with us all over the place. Keys, coins, rain, whatever monsters are lurking in the bag you throw your iPad/iPhone inÖ all these things are in a constantly waged war against your devices screen.

The folks at iWrap sent us a couple different models to review, and I installed the iWrap on my iPad to give it a whirl. They support the iPhone 4, 3G/3G[S], original iPhones, and tons of other devices. In the box is a complete body coverage kit (front, back, and sides, with pre-cut spaces for buttons, inputs, and speakers), an instruction paper, a squeegee card for applying the iWrap, and a small spray bottle of application solution.

Applying these screen protectors is never as easy for me as in the YouTube videos they offer for help. The idea is to lightly spray the solution (which doesnít damage the device at all Ė unless you go all willy-nilly and try to submerge it or something) onto your device screen, your fingertips (so you donít get fingerprints on the underside of the screen protector), and the adhesive part of the protector itself. Then you apply the protector to the screen, press firmly to slide it into correct position, and squeegee any air bubbles out. Easy to type, always takes me 20 frustrating minutes to make happen. Case-Mate offers a static-cling front-only protection for a couple devices which is way easier to apply, but gives me a little rainbowing and never seems to hold onto edges quite perfectly for me. I wish these technologies could be combined for the solid ďstickabilityĒ and invisibility of the iWrap-style protectors with an easier application method.

Once you DO have it on, though, the thing is solid. I used a little more solution than Iím sure the new Friendís Bar at Apple would recommend, and wound up still with some tiny air bubbles (and some a bit bigger than tiny) still present under the protector. Tim from iWrap let me know this is completely normal, and within 3-5 hours 99% of them would disappear, and within 3-5 days 99.999% (repeating, of course) of them would. I let the iWrap marinate under normal usage the past week, and found his numbers to be fairly accurate, although I would put them at 95 and 98 respectively or so Ė Iíve still got some tiny bubbles. Theyíre only noticeable viewed up close, with the screen off though, so I donít really count it as an issue.

The screen protector works great. As mentioned, itís effectively invisible, covers the whole device (I chose not to use the optional side strips of iWrap), and adds a lot of protection. I used to have to be careful which surfaces I set the iPad on, as anything with dirt/rock particles would grind against the back of the device (read Ė concrete, dirty counters, poolside, anything with a non-polished surface), and I no longer worry about that. I notice less fingerprints on the device, and itís worlds less slippery. The material of the iWrap is not gummy or sticky at all, but it has a much better grip on skin than the back of the iPad normally does. Itís also a great deterrent against spills and dirty fingers Ė like my kidís, or when you *think* youíve got the grease from the onion rings off your hands.

The iWrap sells for $29.95 for the iPad screen protector, or $19.95 for the iPhone 4 screen protector or the 3G/3G[S] models. But hey Ė no need for ALL of you to buy one, weíve got 5 (count Ďem, five) 3G/3G[S] ones to give away, and one for the iPad. Leave a comment about your screen protector need or experience, and weíll pick 6 winners Monday to ship these things out to.

More...