The Codi Dispatch Vertical Messenger is a great way to carry your gear. There's a lot of messenger bags out there (the metros are on the rise, people), and Codi's offering here is a solid contender. They sent us out the gray version (it also comes in black), and I've been putting it through the motions the past week or two to check it out. At $53.99, it's a decent bag with a well thought-out design. Codi is based out of Harrisburg, PA, and was founded in 1992.

The basic design of the bag is a flip top with two large zippered compartments and pockets all over. When you're carrying the bag, it lays vertically against your side with fast access to the zippered pocket on the flap keep your keys, phone, wallet (whatever you need quick access to) in this outer pocket. There's a horizontal strap which you can tuck the flap into to keep it steady, although I found it a bit of a snug fit and wound up just leaving the flap to hang on it's own (which it did just fine) as sliding it in the strap was difficult while moving.

When you open the flap, you've got two more zippered pockets. The bottom one is small and good for cables or USB drives, etc. The top one is larger and will fit DVDs, CDs, and larger objects. Here's a great feature of this bag, and one of my favorite things there's a pocket also in this area which fits an iPad perfectly. I was able to carry my 13" Macbook and my iPad easily in one bag with this one, and have them be in separate areas keeping those screens protected. This part of the bag also has two easy-access spots for pens (the black nylon bits there), and a clear slide-in area to put a business card.

More...