Macs get dirty too. Just like any OS, there's tons of files that pile up from daily use, unbeknownst to the average user, which you will most likely never need. These files just waste space on your Mac, and there are many solutions out there to deal with this. CleanMyMac by MacPaw is definitely the best looking one. Testing on a PPC and an Intel box, we saw great performance as well with the app.

A few of the features CleanMyMac uses to muck around and clean up your OS X gunk are Slim Universal Binaries, Clean Unneeded Languages, Logs Rotation, Clean Caches, Quick and Secure Erase, Application Uninstallation, and Killing Trash Left From Buried Applications. To run the basic default scan – two clicks. One to scan, wait a bit, then one to Remove. Of course all of it is easily configured as well – you can select any combination of features to run, and any combination of specifics within those.

My first run of CleanMyMac found over 3.5 GB of extra stuff, from unneeded languages (sure, you may need Japanese or German translation for your Help application – I don't), to caches (some folks like to turn this off – I think it's a good idea to clear your browser's cache though from time to time, and for other apps it's inconsequential for me), to Intel binaries of apps I have on my PPC machine. The scan was quick, and the removal worked well. I've had no issues at all from this, and I first ran the app over 2 weeks ago.

The design is beautifully done, and makes perfect sense from a usability standpoint as well. Following the standard Snow Leopard UI, MacPaw also make use of a good palette of OS X-ish grays with subtle color hues when needed. And they're in the process of a complete redesign from architecture to front end, CleanMyMac2, which will be coming soon (don't worry – existing users of CleanMyMac get a free upgrade to it). This is the first I'd heard of MacPaw, a fresh software company out of Kiev in the Ukraine, and I'm impressed. Reminds me of the attention to detail Panic is known for.

As an added bonus, and a nice reason to keep CleanMyMac in your weekly use bucket, they include a feature to fully delete applications (including all the system files they add) when you drag them to the trash – similar to AppZapper, an app which normally is $12.95 JUST for that functionality. CleanMyMac can be set to automatically launch any time you drag a .app to the trash, to securely and fully delete the app from the system.

It's an efficient idea to have some sort of system management/cleaner software on your Mac – and CleanMyMac does the job beautifully. And of course – we've got a couple licenses to give away. Leave a comment of your thoughts on the software, and we'll pick two commenters to receive a free license!

More...