Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S stuck on recovery mode

Default iPhone 4S stuck on recovery mode
    I have a 4s on 5.1 that is jail broken. I tried to do a software update through the settings button on the phone and it is now stuck in recovery mode. How can I get out of this without losing all my info on the phone? I know I could use iTunes to restore but it will delete all data and update. Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Try holding the home and power button until the screen shuts off. Release them, wait a couple seconds, then power on as normal. If this does not work and it continues to jump into recovery mode, attempt to kick it out of recovery with Redsn0w or TinyUmbrella, or both if one or the other fails. If none of these options work, can you SSH into the device? If you can, you can back all your important files up that way.

If you cannot SSH in, then unfortunately, you'll probably have to do the restore and lose your data.

What version of redsn0w would you recommend?

Thanks

The latest one. Google dev team blog first link.

Tried both tiny umbrella and redsn0w. Couldn't get either to work. Doing full update and restore through iTunes now. Will let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the help Annie.

Took a while (as my computer is very slow) but was able to get it done with a complete update and restore. I did lose all my contacts and info though. Basically it's like I just got a new phone, fully updated to newest iOS. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks

I'm glad you at least got your phone up and running again. Sorry that you couldn't keep your data - I've had my fair share of this happening. Oh well, lesson learned is to back up your device frequently. I do it every few weeks.