+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Updated Via Custom No BB/Stitched...but iTunes Restored to Factory?

is a discussion within the

redsn0w

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
My iPhone 4 GSM, on baseband 4.11.08 (unlocked via SAM and activated ticket saved via redsn0w) and firmware 5.0.1 was being prepared for updating to 5.1 (build 9B176). I prepared
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Updated Via Custom No BB/Stitched...but iTunes Restored to Factory?
    My iPhone 4 GSM, on baseband 4.11.08 (unlocked via SAM and activated ticket saved via redsn0w) and firmware 5.0.1 was being prepared for updating to 5.1 (build 9B176). I prepared a custom No-BB, Cydia-sourced shsh blob stiched IPSW for restoring via iTunes. iTunes accepted the file, and proceeded to restore.

The progress bar seemed to go well, when, at the last message, I was told that the iPhone had been restored to factory settings. It wasn't an error message.

I used the redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and IPSW 5.1 9B176 for this procedure.

What did I do wrong?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Fixed. Was able to repeat the process, but this time used redsn0w's Restore feature as opposed to iTunes'.

Thanks

Im glad u fixed your problem. I guess so many people still uses iTunes to restore there devices. Some always run into problems spending many hours and days at time to find a work around the iTunes errors.

Using redsn0w restore is the most easiest method of restoring you will probably ever fine. I always recommend this method especially if your device has been jailbroken before.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I used iTunes because in redsn0w, it says something along the lines of "Now your device is ready to be restored in iTunes" after setting it in Pwned DFU mode.

EVO
    Thanks

the restore function of redsn0w is mainly meant for A5+ devices that need to "RE-RESTORE" from an iOS 5+ version that they are currently on...

I'm not sure what you meant by "Itunes restored to factory" but at least everything is working for you now

Thanks

Regardless of the re-restore option for A5 devices. Restoring with redsn0w on ANY idevice will eliminate any errors you normally get from iTunes.

EVO
    Thanks

you're just as unlikely to encounter errors in redsn0w than you would in itunes if you dont have the necessary files to restore anyways, i.e. shsh blobs

Thanks

I'm just basing this on my experience with iTunes & redsn0w. I personally will not use iTunes anymore to restore or upgrade as long as redsn0w available.

But everyone has their own opinion on different jailbreak tools.