Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
10-26-2012, 10:18 AM #13GS from 4.1 to higher IOS, need unlock - trouble
I used to own a 3G and have JB and unlocked that one.
My issue is with a 3GS I now have. It came JB and unlocked at IOS4.1 BB 06.15.
I need to upgrade the IOS to a higher version for installing apps.
I have the SHSH blob for 4.1 and 5.1.
I used redsnow to downgrade my BB to 05.13.04 as suggested to remove the iPad BB.
Then I tried to update the IOS to 5.1.1 which didn't work, using redsnow or iTunes or iTunes with tinyumbrella.
I then tried IOS 5.1 with which didn't work, using redsnow or itunes or itunes with tinyumbrella.
Now im stuck as i'm not sure why it didn't work.
Could i update to the IOS6 using redsnow and then unlock, assuming my BB is retained?
10-26-2012, 02:58 PM #2
Here's my tutorial from another thread...
You need to create no BB IPSW.. You then need to stitch those 5.1.1 blobs into it...then do the pwned DFU mode restore..
This is what I do on my 3GS... I think this works for a 4... This is a slightly modified version of my previous tutorial on 3GS for folks that didn't unlock...this should work for unlocking..at end of course u have to JB and install ultrasn0w as before...I've not done this myself all the way through as I don't unlock, so proceed at own risk.
This is for preserving baseband and stitching blobs...
1. Download stock iOS 5.1.1 IPSW.
2. Download redsn0w 0.9.14b2
3. Run redsn0w as administrator in windows.
3. Click on Custom IPSW button
4. Browse to downloaded stock IPSW
5. Let RS Finish creating no BB IPSW
6. Click Extras button.
7. Click SHSH blobs button.
8. Click Query button to see what blobs Cydia has for device.
9. If Cydia has required blobs, Click Stitch button.
10. Click IPSW button-browse for previously created 5.1.1 no BB IPSW file NOT the stock one.
11. Click Blobs-Cydia button to stitch remote Cydia stored blobs to IPSW.(or could do local if you have
12. Let Process and finish. It will take a few minutes.
13. Click Back button-Click Pwned DFU to put in pwned DFU mode-follow onscreen instructions.
14. Once in pwned DFU mode, close redsn0w, launch iTunes.
15. iTunes will see device in "recovery" mode. Click Check button.
16. Hold down Shift key, click Restore button. Browse to that stitched IPSW file
you created.Select it.
17. Wait for restore to finish as normal. JB as normal(or not)...Enjoy!
10-26-2012, 03:04 PM #3
I only have the 5.1 blob, so assume I just do it with that with the 5.1 Ipsw??
I didn't try the stitching part before, so will try this.
Will update you tomorrow.
Does the version of RS matter or will the latest version do?
10-26-2012, 03:49 PM #4
Yeah do the 5.1 then... I haven't used the latest yet..
It's a bit different so instructions won't match..
The Following User Says Thank You to xboxbml For This Useful Post:
10-27-2012, 06:52 AM #5
I followed all of your instructions, and stitched the no BB 5.1 to the 5.1 blobs, and put into dfu mode.
Tried to apply in iTunes, but iTunes gives error 1600.
I've tried different cables, restart and even a different pc.
10-27-2012, 07:29 AM #6
Don't use iTunes to restore, use redsn0w in extras. Restore to stock 5.1 and update the baseband. When done jailbreak and downgrade baseband, then again to upgrade back to an iPhone baseband.
10-27-2012, 11:21 AM #7
Did u put it in pwned DFU mode?..
10-27-2012, 11:25 AM #8
@xboxbml I did put it pwned dfu mode.
@astragate if I update to the stock iOS 5.1 using reds now, do I not then agree to let reds now stop bb upgrade?
10-27-2012, 02:17 PM #9
For some reason I've found redsn0w no bb ipsw will not complete. Some others have also reported errors when trying to use a no baseband ipsw even ones that have blobs stitched. As long as you got blobs, restore to stock updating the baseband. Then jailbrake installing iPad baseband and again after to reflash iPhone baseband. This is how I did my last one anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Astragte For This Useful Post:
11-09-2012, 10:48 AM #10
Thanks for all the advice. I understand there was a restore issue with redsnow.
They have just updated it. I restored to 5.1 from 4.1 without updating baseband.
Jailbroke and unlocked. Working fine. Only problem is its tethered.