+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I think I've bricked my 3gs whilst upgrading to 5.1, stuck in recovery mode

is a discussion within the

redsn0w

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
(i dont really know all the fancy tech talk so bear with me but i'll try to explain the best i can) So I jailbroke my 3gs to 5.0.1 a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I think I've bricked my 3gs whilst upgrading to 5.1, stuck in recovery mode
    (i dont really know all the fancy tech talk so bear with me but i'll try to explain the best i can)

So I jailbroke my 3gs to 5.0.1 a while back and then apple released the new update, stupidly i forgot that trying to update a jailbroken iphone through itunes would update the baseband (i jailbroke it with the 6.15.00 baseband)... or is it the bootrom that gets updated through itunes? anyway i'd try update with itunes but i'd get an error, although my phone worked fine.
    Then I remembered that I needed to use redsn0w to update (derp) so I followed these instructions to the T and it seemed pretty simple
    Upgrade jailbreak iPhone to iOS 5.1.1 preserve unlock baseband redsn0w

Although, when it came to creating the custom IPSW to restore onto my phone through itunes, redsn0w asked me if i had a new or old bootrom i said it was an old one (because when i first jailbroke it, it had an old bootrom) and everything went fine, until it got to actually restoring the phone with the custom IPSW through itunes. i put the phone into dfu mode, then shift clicked on "restore" and selected the custom IPSW which had been saved onto my computer (as asked), but then I was faced with an "unknown error 1600"... so I tried again a few times but to no prevail. then I unplugged the phone to try turn it on, but it didnt respond and the screen was still totally black, and didnt have the itunes symbols which should come on in dfu mode. then I decided to check what bootrom my iphone was on redsn0w in case i'd gone wrong and it said my phone actually had the new bootrom! so i created a new IPSW which supported the new bootrom, tried to restore the phone with that too but i still keep getting 1604, 1602 errors, and my phone is stuck in recovery mode. The screen is completely black, and I'm pretty sure I've bricked the thing. Is there a way out? I have no idea what baseband my phone is now or anything because I can't access the menus!

How do I get my phone out of recovery mode? and will it live another day?

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

I would try both of these and see if either of them works:

Make sure your iTunes is up to date. If you still get the error after this, try a different computer.

1604 means it wasn't in PWNED DFU mode, so get into PWNED DFU and then try restoring to it. It can sometimes even be an issue with the IPSW itself.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did try to restore it in pwnd dfu mode, it just doesnt work... I dont even know if the phone is even in dfu mode because it's literally just a black screen and it doesnt light up when I plug it in, although my pc recognises it as a device... i even tried to use redsn0w and tinyumbrella to get it out of recovery mode but still nothing. Should I try another software that isnt redsn0w?

Thanks

Changing it wouldn't make much of a difference I think. Try taking the battery out and letting it sit for about like 15-20 minutes. After that put it back in and see if it'll boot up. And like I said before, make sure your iTunes is up to date as well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, although how does taking the battery out help to boot it? I'll have a look in the morning to see how complicated it is to take out the battery. And my itunes is up to date too!

Thanks

I'm just suggesting it lol, it's sometimes the simple things that end up being the fixes to issues. But if that doesn't work I'd seriously say you should try another PC, changing computers can make a big difference.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 Times in 6,640 Posts

Just to clear a few things up DFU mode should be a blank screen. Recovery mode is when you see the iTunes symbol. So you are in DFU mode right now (not to be confused with pwned DFU)

To restore to a custom firmware you have to use redsnow to enter pwned DFU mode first.

Since you had 6.15 baseband when you initially updated you will probably Have to install that again with redsnow. But don't worry about that until after you get the phone restored.

If you find that even after a seemingly successful restore that the phone stays in DFU mode then what hacker suggested with taking out the battery will come into play, you need to leave it out for like an hour though. This will essentially reset the phone so it can be restored properly after. You only need to do this if it stays in DFU after a successful restore. If this is the case it was cause by the mixing up of bootroms you spoke of.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Just to clear a few things up DFU mode should be a blank screen. Recovery mode is when you see the iTunes symbol. So you are in DFU mode right now (not to be confused with pwned DFU)

To restore to a custom firmware you have to use redsnow to enter pwned DFU mode first.

Since you had 6.15 baseband when you initially updated you will probably Have to install that again with redsnow. But don't worry about that until after you get the phone restored.

If you find that even after a seemingly successful restore that the phone stays in DFU mode then what hacker suggested with taking out the battery will come into play, you need to leave it out for like an hour though. This will essentially reset the phone so it can be restored properly after. You only need to do this if it stays in DFU after a successful restore. If this is the case it was cause by the mixing up of bootroms you spoke of.
    I used redsn0w to get into pwnd dfu, and the screen is totally black... although when i connect to itunes it says its detected an iphone in recovery mode but it wont restore and gives me 1600-1604 errors and I'll try using another computer tooooo
    Last edited by katieholliday; 08-10-2012 at 11:45 AM.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katieholliday View Post
    I used redsn0w to get into pwnd dfu, and the screen is totally black... although when i connect to itunes it says its detected an iphone in recovery mode but it wont restore and gives me 1600-1604 errors and I'll try using another computer tooooo
    Have you tried checking your hosts file to make sure it doesn't contain the "gs.apple.com" line entry?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey, Katie, Did you ever get your issue resolved?
    I think I might have dome something similar.
    I am in recovery mode, through, from the description. And teh second time I "restored" I got a different black and white iphone screen -- the moving map with languages instead of rotating languages on the slider. So I must have a new OS, but who knows which one?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Please help My Iphone 3gs is also stuck in DFU mode, Eventhough my itunes detects my phone in DFU mode & it continuosly gives me message that my phone is in receover mode. Please help I tried to upgrade my jailbroken Iphone 3gs having IOS 4.2.1 to 5.1, however when i made custom firmware i selected that my phone is having old boot rom however i was having new boot rom. If i try to make custom firmware using new boot rom then my Iphone gives me couple of 16x errors & I am not able to do anything (Cn't restore)
    If i am making custom firmware using old boot rom then my Iphone tries to restore through Itunes but at the end of processing Itnues shoots out message that restoring is complete & my Iphone will be restarted, however soon after the said message i.e within 2-3 secs Itunes & Explorer.exe stops responding & my iphine gets stuck in DFU mode(Totally Black Screen)

What's Jailbreak? iPhones2iPads's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shamvil View Post
    Please help My Iphone 3gs is also stuck in DFU mode, Eventhough my itunes detects my phone in DFU mode & it continuosly gives me message that my phone is in receover mode. Please help I tried to upgrade my jailbroken Iphone 3gs having IOS 4.2.1 to 5.1, however when i made custom firmware i selected that my phone is having old boot rom however i was having new boot rom. If i try to make custom firmware using new boot rom then my Iphone gives me couple of 16x errors & I am not able to do anything (Cn't restore)
    If i am making custom firmware using old boot rom then my Iphone tries to restore through Itunes but at the end of processing Itnues shoots out message that restoring is complete & my Iphone will be restarted, however soon after the said message i.e within 2-3 secs Itunes & Explorer.exe stops responding & my iphine gets stuck in DFU mode(Totally Black Screen)
    Did you try holding down the sleep button and the home button at the same time to enter DFU... Then restart your idevice?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shamvil View Post
    Did you ever get this resolved? I have a 3gs sitting here for over a month with same problem. I posted here but got no help.