+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: itunes won't recognize my iphone

is a discussion within the

redsn0w

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi guys, I'm having a serious issue. My iPhone is not being recognized by iTunes nor is it charging. When i plug in the wall outlet, the phone doesn't charge
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default itunes won't recognize my iphone
    Hi guys,

I'm having a serious issue. My iPhone is not being recognized by iTunes nor is it charging. When i plug in the wall outlet, the phone doesn't charge and the charging sign doesn't show. However, if i turn of the phone, then plug in the wall outlet, the phone will turn on and charge. So i tried to restore my phone to 5.1.1, but iTunes is not reading the phone. I tried to turn off the phone and plug into my mac, the phone turns on, but it doesn't get read by the mac thus i can't restore. I tried to do the update via the apple software update, and i get an error near the end saying Error while downloading iTunes software. I'm not sure why; my phone is jailbroken. I updated to 5.1.1 then downgraded to 5.0.1 and jail broke it cause the 5.1.1 jailbreak wasn't available at that time. Can someone please help?

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djdon View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm having a serious issue. My iPhone is not being recognized by iTunes nor is it charging. When i plug in the wall outlet, the phone doesn't charge and the charging sign doesn't show. However, if i turn of the phone, then plug in the wall outlet, the phone will turn on and charge. So i tried to restore my phone to 5.1.1, but iTunes is not reading the phone. I tried to turn off the phone and plug into my mac, the phone turns on, but it doesn't get read by the mac thus i can't restore. I tried to do the update via the apple software update, and i get an error near the end saying Error while downloading iTunes software. I'm not sure why; my phone is jailbroken. I updated to 5.1.1 then downgraded to 5.0.1 and jail broke it cause the 5.1.1 jailbreak wasn't available at that time. Can someone please help?

it sounds like some kind of hardware issue, maybe one of the power management chips, what you can try to do is uninstall itunes, then install the latest itunes and then plug in your iphone so that the computer can detect your iphone and install the approriate drivers that itunes have

see if that will make the computer detect the iphone

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Download the firmware manually rather than doing a straight upgrade in iTunes. You can find the 5.1.1 ipsw here in the Downloads section on MMi. Then, you can open iTunes and do a shift+restore to the fw you downloaded.

Also, your computer may best recognize the device if it is in recovery mode or dfu mode. It is more likely to work with recovery mode in most circumstances.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I can't restore from my of because it's not being recognized. I have warranty and I can get it replaced, but it's jail broken. Is there anyway to remove the jailbreak? I tried everything. It just won't get recognized in iTunes. Only time it charges is if I turn off the phone an plug in the wall outlet.

EVO
    Thanks

I can't restore from my of because it's not being recognized. I have warranty and I can get it replaced, but it's jail broken. Is there anyway to remove the jailbreak? I tried everything. It just won't get recognized in iTunes. Only time it charges is if I turn off the phone an plug in the wall outlet.
    if it is still under warranty it is best to get it replaced, it's really not worth the hassle and it can have some other issues in the future

if you can turn it on when its plugged in and charged, I suggest downloading SBSettings from Cydia and you can use it to hide your jailbroken apps, like Cydia and other tweaks, and you can even hide SBSettings itself

so that is most likely the best solution

Green Apple
    Thanks
    damn.. but eventually they'll know it's jailbroken and can charge me for the full price.. gosh, it's a weird thing that it only charges through the wall cahrger and not through USB via pc.. what if i did ERASE ALL CONTENTS AND SETTINGS from the reset menu??

EVO
    Thanks

damn.. but eventually they'll know it's jailbroken and can charge me for the full price.. gosh, it's a weird thing that it only charges through the wall cahrger and not through USB via pc.. what if i did ERASE ALL CONTENTS AND SETTINGS from the reset menu??
    if you do that, you MAY not be able to boot it back up as it could go into an infinite boot loop

that means it will be stuck at the apple logo and will not go anywhere else

HOWEVER, if you do that and bring it to the Apple store, one of the guys "MAY" be able to boot it up and if its detected that its jailbroken, they will most likely not replace it under warranty

the best way to go is SBSettings as I mentioned, because most of them will just scan the iphone real quick to check the issue, then replace it with the new one for you

When they realize that its jailbroken, you're already gone with the replacement so they cannot make you return it

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yah true,

I guess i will delete all the jailbroken apps and hide the cydia icon and sb settings itself.. is it done through the spoof app within sbsettings?

EVO
    Thanks

Yah true,

I guess i will delete all the jailbroken apps and hide the cydia icon and sb settings itself.. is it done through the spoof app within sbsettings?
    affirmative!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well, that's why I suggested recovery mode. Most of the time, iTunes will recognize a device in recovery mode. It doesn't sound like you have a port issue considering it still does charge under some circumstances. Or you could attempt to hide all your JB apps, I just thought if you would give recovery mode a go then you could get a restore without having to go through the measures of hiding everything. It doesn't hurt to try was what I was thinking.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thanks for all ur help. I did try to go on recovery mode but didn't work. I deleted everything from Cydia n used poof to hide Cydia then deleted sbsettings. Went to apple store, the guy plugged in the phone once in the charger (didn't even unlock the phone and I also had a passlock on) he saw it didn't charge and gave me a new phone right away. He gave me the old phone to erase all settings and contents and I did it myself. Not sure if it kept looping or not. I just pressed it and got the new phone and left. Thank god I got a working phone again.

EVO
    Thanks

Thanks for all ur help. I did try to go on recovery mode but didn't work. I deleted everything from Cydia n used poof to hide Cydia then deleted sbsettings. Went to apple store, the guy plugged in the phone once in the charger (didn't even unlock the phone and I also had a passlock on) he saw it didn't charge and gave me a new phone right away. He gave me the old phone to erase all settings and contents and I did it myself. Not sure if it kept looping or not. I just pressed it and got the new phone and left. Thank god I got a working phone again.
    there you go bud!

most "geniuses" are not experienced enough to know how to boot it up, they just turn it on and if it doesnt, they give you a new one...

imagine how many people they help everyday so they dont even want to bother with it anyways

enjoy your new phone!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You are one of the lucky guy that got released from this issue without been noticed by apple guys. I don't like jailbreaking and within warranty period, it's just disgusting. I don't know why all the general users are trying to jailbreak. This is not for everybody, it's for (*) jailbreakers. Maybe you can try it for an experiment, but don't do this within warranty period. Though, jailbreaks are legal in US, but, apple declared not to replace jailbreak sets.
    Last edited by jafri50; 06-18-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: (*) expunged on request of H4CK3R

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jafri50 View Post
    You are one of the lucky guy that got released from this issue without been noticed by apple guys. I don't like jailbreaking and within warranty period, it's just disgusting. I don't know why all the general users are trying to jailbreak. This is not for everybody, it's for geek people. Maybe you can try it for an experiment, but don't do this within warranty period. Though, jailbreaks are legal in US, but, apple declared not to replace jailbreak sets.
    we jailbreak not because we're geeks, but because we dont want to be constricted by Apple's standards

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    we jailbreak not because we're geeks, but because we dont want to be constricted by Apple's standards
    It's not all that really, more than half of them jailbreak just so they can get free apps. THAT is what disgusts me.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    Sorry if my words hurt you. I haven't insulted you (jailbreakers) in any sense. I always salute you and take advise whenever needed. You're the boss. But, what I wanted to express that not everybody should try jailbreaking. Without having proper knowledge or preparation, anybody could possibly make harm to their gadgets.

I should have make it clear on my first comments. Sorry again.
    Last edited by jafri50; 06-18-2012 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Expunged, on request of H4CK3R

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jafri50 View Post
    Sorry if my words hurt you. I haven't insulted you (geek peoples) in any sense. I always salute you and take advise whenever needed. You're the boss. But, what I wanted to express that not everybody should try jailbreaking. Without having proper knowledge or preparation, anybody could possibly make harm to their gadgets.

I should have make it clear on my first comments. Sorry again.
    You called us geeks, again. That's still an insult. We're jailbreakers, we don't care what Apple thinks. I'm careful with my device so warranties are not much of a concern at all. Either way, calling us 'geek peoples' is still offensive.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    It's not all that really, more than half of them jailbreak just so they can get free apps. THAT is what disgusts me.
    This time I'm with the jailbreak(contextual reason). Free apps also makes me happy. And if I could get that with some minor tweaks, I'm ready to do that. But, I'm only telling people not to do that within their warranty period. And not to do that without having proper knowledge.

Thanks

It's not that hard to jailbreak a device, it just requires people to use their brain. Maybe it's just me, I've been jailbreaking forever, I never have problems. I hate piracy (cracked apps, etc.) it just disgusts me. It's also frowned upon here and many other forums. It's a matter of opinion though, so I can't speak for everyone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've expunged that word from my comments. Still angry?