+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GUIDE: Iphone 3GS (AT&T) Jailbroken and unlocked on 4.1 upgraded to 5.0.1

is a discussion within the

redsn0w

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi Guys, I successfully upgraded my Iphone 3GS (old-bootrom), which was unlocked and jailbroken on 4.1, to 5.0.1 untethered. I used a lot of forums and help to get it
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Talking GUIDE: Iphone 3GS (AT&T) Jailbroken and unlocked on 4.1 upgraded to 5.0.1
    Hi Guys,

I successfully upgraded my Iphone 3GS (old-bootrom), which was unlocked and jailbroken on 4.1, to 5.0.1 untethered. I used a lot of forums and help to get it done and hence I would like to share my story that may help you in the process.

Tools:
    Iphone 3GS
    SHSH blobs
    Tinyumbrella-5.10.14
    Itunes latest version
    Original Apple sync cable in USB port on your PC (no USB HUB)
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    redsn0w 0.9.10b8b for Windows
    Custom made IPSW: 5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw (either you created one without a baseband upgrade using Sn0Wbreeze/PwnageTool) or you downloaded one on the web "HACKTIVATED"

Prep:
    Update itunes
    Backup & Sync your iphone in Itunes (incl music/pictures/contacts etc.)
    Save your SHSH's with Tinyumbrella locally (do not start Tinyumbrella server)

Process:
    Set RedSn0w to run in "admin mode": right click file => properties => select "run the program in admin mode"
    Load Redsn0w and select to extra's
    Use stitch* to link your SHSH 5.0.1 SHSH file to the IPSW (takes a couple of min), this makes your IPSW available to your device based on your device ID. (prevents itunes Error 11)
    Use Redsn0w to get your device in a Pwed DFU mode (screen is black - prevents error 3194)
    Clear your "host" file of all APPLE entries in CWindows\System32\drivers\etc\ (prevents itunes errors: 1600, 1604 etc)

*If you get the corefoundation.dll error in RedSn0w copy all *.dll files "CProgram Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support" to "CUsers\user\AppData\Roaming\redsn0w"

Updating:
    Make sure Tinyumbrella server is off, close redsn0w and run itunes
    Itunes detects your recovery mode (if not please redo the Pwned DFU mode in RedSn0w)
    Shift restore and select your custom 5.0.1. IPSW with your unique device ID.
    Itunes will accept the IPSW and install the IPSW (if any itunes errors remain, just check with google to resolve it)
    After 10 min you should be fine and you updated the iphone to 5.0.1 while preserving the baseband firmware

Unlock/Activate:
    If you still have the orginal SIM or have an unlocked iphone you're done... however I was not and I didn't have the orginal SIM. Hence I had to go past the activation mode and run UltraSn0w 1.25, however both the iphone and itunes said "invalid sim" which make it impossible to get to cydia.
    So... the next step is to turn off the device, load RedSn0w again (admin mode), select "jailbreak", follow the instructions to get it iphone in DFU mode and select "install cydia". RedSn0w will jailbreak and activate your Iphone + reboot (takes 5 min).
    Now you can get passed the activation screen (set language, set region etc...) => select "backup to load from iTunes". Connect your Iphone to Itunes and install your backup/apps etc. (take hours if you have >10GB of data)
    After restoring go to Cydia, => manage => sources => add "http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com/"
    Go to search install ultrasn0w 1.25 reload and it should detect your current sim carrier!!

Issues
    If your phone gets stuck in the process... you can always use RedSn0w or iREB to resolve recovery loop holes, get it our of DFU mode, resolve black screens and/or boot normally... don't be afraid if your iphone may look "bricked" :-)

Thanks to the Dev-Team and all the people that collaborate together to free our i-devices from Apple's tenure.

Reflex_NL

2. The Following User Says Thank You to reflex_nl For This Useful Post:

swaps100050 (10-04-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thank you very much for this useful post... just 1 doubt, wen i installed ultrasn0w... the sim card was not der in my phone, after installation i inserted my sim card, now the sim card isnt detected, it just shows searching... plz help me... thank u

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swaps100050 View Post
    thank you very much for this useful post... just 1 doubt, wen i installed ultrasn0w... the sim card was not der in my phone, after installation i inserted my sim card, now the sim card isnt detected, it just shows searching... plz help me... thank u
    having the sim card in before/after ultrasn0w installation is irrelevant, if the sim card is not detected, that is another issue

it may be the fact that the sim card is too old, meaning the contacts are worn out, or the fact that the phone is not on an unlockable baseband

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

swaps100050 (10-08-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    having the sim card in before/after ultrasn0w installation is irrelevant, if the sim card is not detected, that is another issue

it may be the fact that the sim card is too old, meaning the contacts are worn out, or the fact that the phone is not on an unlockable baseband
    thnx... but i donno how, i sucessfully unlocked it...!!

with sim card working now