Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Guide] Redsn0w- Info & Features

Thanks

Default [Guide] Redsn0w- Info & Features

RedSn0w is a jailbreak tool developed by the Dev-Team. Originally called QuickPWN, this jailbreak tool was then renamed, and has now become the favorite tool for most of the jailbreakers. RedSn0w works for both Mac and Windows.

You can grab the latest version of Redsn0w from HERE
    (Make sure you get the right one for your OS)

FAQ

Which Devices Can Be Used With Redsn0w?

iPhone 4S
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 3G
    iPad 2
    iPad 1
    iPod Touch 4G
    iPod Touch 3G
    iPod Touch 2G

What iOS versions can be used with redsn0w?

iOS 5.1.1, iOS 5.1, 5.0.1, iOS 5, 4.3.5, 4.3.4, 4.3.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.1, 4.3 4.2.1, 4.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.1, 4.0, 3.2.2, 3.1.3

Some of these iOS can only be jailbroken tethered, depending on your device.

I'm on Windows and redsn0w says it stopped working. What should I do?

Unplug your device and close redsn0w. Hold power and home button on your device until screen flashes. Now, Connect the device to the computer and start redsn0w as usual.

What else can I do with redsn0w apart from jailbreaking?

Not only can you jailbreak, you can also boot tethered devices with tethered jailbreak, preserve baseband, manage shsh blobs, install custom boot logos, etc.

What's the diference between an untether and a tether jailbreak?

An untether jailbreak is the jailbreak everyone anxiously awaits for. Why? Because it doesn't require you to boot tethered everytime you reboot your phone or its battery dies. The latest untether jailbreak is for 5.1.1 firmware on all devices.

A tethered jailbreak is the same as an untether jailbreak except for the fact that you have to connect the device to a computer and use a tool like redsn0w to boot tethered and be able to boot it. There is a cydia tweak called Semitether which allows the device to reboot while jailbroken tethered but with some limitations.

How can I put my device in DFU mode?

Connect the device to the computer, hold the home and power button for 10 secionds. Then without releasing the Home button release the power button and continue holding the Home button for 10 more seconds. Now after ten seconds have passed release the Home button and the screen should be cmopletely black. You've succesfully entered DFU mode. If you see the iTunes logo you did it wrong.

Jailbreak

Jailbreaking your device is very easy. You just have to follow a few simple steps in order to get in DFU mode and redsn0w will do the rest. You can do tether and untether jailbreaks with redsn0w, depending on the firmware your device has. Remember that to jailbreak your device you must have iTunes installed on your computer.

Here are some quick instructions to get your device jailbroken:

1. Download and launch redns0w

2. Click jailbreak and make sre your device is plugged in and turned off

3. Click next and follow the instructions to put your device in DFU mode, then click jailbreak

4. That's it! If your jailbreak is tethered remember to go back and boot tethered in order to use cydia

Downgrade

Redsn0w also has the ability to downgrade A5 devices like the iPhone 4S or iPad 2 to 5.0.1 firmware. As usual, you'll need 5.0.1 SHSH blobs saved to downgrade.

Here are some quick steps to downgrade:

1. Download a 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 ipsw files

2. Put device in DFU mode, then open redsn0w and select 'Extras' then click on 'Even More', then select 'Restore' and browse to the 5.0.1 ipsw followed by the 5.1.1 ipsw

3. Now you need to get the 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs. Click on the 'Local' button if the SHSH blobs are stored on your computer or 'Remote' if they're stored on Cydia.

4. Redsn0w should now do all the work

Features

Preserving Baseband- The option to preserve baseband is very useful for iPhone owners that are currently on an unlockable baseband and want to update to a newer firmware. Those of you that have factory unlocked phones don't have to worry about preserving basebands.

Pwned DFU- Pwned DFU allows you to use iTunes to restore your deevice with a custom firmware to preserve baseband. That's the only difference betwen Pwned DFU mode and DFU mode.

Recovery Fix- The Recovery Fix option is useful when you receive recovery errors when performing restores in iTunes.

Fetch- This option allows you to submit your SHSH Blobs to Cydia. Your device must be in DFU mode to use this feature.

Verify- This options allows you to check what SHSH Blobs are available on your device. This feature also needs your device to be in DFU mode.

Query- This feature queries the Cydia server about all the SHSH blobs available to a device. This feature does not require your device to be in DFU mode.

Stitch- This feature allows you to stitch SHSH blobs to a firmware/ipsw file so you can use it even if Apple is still not signing that firmware anymore. This is a very useful feature and is the only way to downgrade on iOS 5. With this you can even restore your device without updating it at the same time.

ECID- This will list all of the ECIDs for all devices used by RedSn0w. The ECID is an identifier unique to every device.

Boot args- This feature allows you to run commands while running redsn0w. Not very useful to the average user.

Boot Logo- The Boot Logo option allows you to replace the default Pineapple logo. The images must be in PNG format for this to work.
    Last edited by celeron; 07-03-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to celeron For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (04-22-2012), BLOAT (04-22-2012), hdt80 (05-10-2012), Simon (05-24-2012)

Hi there,

I just recently got a Jailbroken iphone 3G, but it was running so slow that I tried to restore it on iTunes, so that I could Jailbreak it again.

Unfortunately that didnt work and the phone is now stuck on emergency call plus connect to your computer. I have downloaded TinyUmbrella to check my firmwareClick image for larger version. 

Name:	tinyumbrella.jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	584947

And I have tried using redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 to jailbreak it again, I downloaded the custom 3.0 ipsw file and launched redSn0w, but could not recognise the ipsw file.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RicoMannion For This Useful Post:

webdevii (05-24-2012)

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

^^You should have started a new thread for your question.

Btw, nice to see this thread is a sticky. Congrats cel!

But to answer your question, Use recboot to kick your device out of recovery mode. Then you can reboot as normal.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iPod For This Useful Post:

celeron (05-15-2012), HybridParticle (06-15-2012)

Thanks

Thanks ipod

Btw, I must've missed the reply in this thread, dang

Thanks

Haha, i stole your chance to help someone

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iPod For This Useful Post:

webdevii (05-24-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    ^^You should have started a new thread for your question.

Btw, nice to see this thread is a sticky. Congrats cel!

But to answer your question, Use recboot to kick your device out of recovery mode. Then you can reboot as normal.
    Thank you very much I will start a new thread.

Thanks

Ok no problem

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post

RedSn0w is a jailbreak tool developed by the Dev-Team. Originally called QuickPWN, this jailbreak tool was then renamed, and has now become the favorite tool for most of the jailbreakers. RedSn0w works for both Mac and Windows.

You can grab the latest version of Redsn0w from HERE
    (Make sure you get the right one for your OS)

FAQ

Which Devices Can Be Used With Redsn0w?

iPhone 4
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 3G
    iPad 1
    iPod Touch 4G
    iPod Touch 3G
    iPod Touch 2G

What iOS versions can be used with redsn0w?

iOS 5.1.1, iOS 5.1, 5.0.1, iOS 5, 4.3.5, 4.3.4, 4.3.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.1, 4.3 4.2.1, 4.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.1, 4.0, 3.2.2, 3.1.3

Some of these iOS can only be jailbroken tethered, depending on your device.

I'm on Windows and redsn0w says it stopped working. What should I do?

Unplug your device and close redsn0w. Hold power and home button on your device until screen flashes. Now, Connect the device to the computer and start redsn0w as usual.

What else can I do with redsn0w apart from jailbreaking?

Not only can you jailbreak, you can also boot tethered devices with tethered jailbreak, preserve baseband, manage shsh blobs, install custom boot logos, etc.

What's the diference between an untether and a tether jailbreak?

An untether jailbreak is the jailbreak everyone anxiously awaits for. Why? Because it doesn't require you to boot tethered everytime you reboot your phone or its battery dies. The latest untether jailbreak is for 5.0.1 firmware.

A tethered jailbreak is the same as an untether jailbreak except for the fact that you have to connect the device to a computer and use a tool like redsn0w to boot tethered and be able to boot it. There is a cydia tweak called Semitether which allows the device to reboot while jailbroken tethered but with some limitations. The latest tether jailbreak is 5.1 but only on non A5 devices.

How can I put my device in DFU mode?

Connect the device to the computer, hold the home and power button for 10 secionds. Then without releasing the Home button release the power button and continue holding the Home button for 10 more seconds. Now after ten seconds have passed release the Home button and the screen should be cmopletely black. You've succesfully entered DFU mode. If you see the iTunes logo you did it wrong.

Jailbreak

Jailbreaking your device is very easy. You just have to follow a few simple steps in order to get in DFU mode and redsn0w will do the rest. You can do tether and untether jailbreaks with redsn0w, depending on the firmware your device has. Remember that to jailbreak your device you must have iTunes installed on your computer.

Here are some quick instructions to get your device jailbroken:

1. Download and launch redns0w

2. Click jailbreak and make sre your device is plugged in and turned off

3. Click next and follow the instructions to put your device in DFU mode, then click jailbreak

4. That's it! If your jailbreak is tethered remember to go back and boot tethered in order to use cydia

Features

Preserving Baseband- The option to preserve baseband is very useful for iPhone owners that are currently on an unlockable baseband and want to update to a newer firmware. Those of you that have factory unlocked phones don't have to worry about preserving basebands.

Pwned DFU- Pwned DFU allows you to use iTunes to restore your deevice with a custom firmware to preserve baseband. That's the only difference betwen Pwned DFU mode and DFU mode.

Recovery Fix- The Recovery Fix option is useful when you receive recovery errors when performing restores in iTunes.

Fetch- This option allows you to submit your SHSH Blobs to Cydia. Your device must be in DFU mode to use this feature.

Verify- This options allows you to check what SHSH Blobs are available on your device. This feature also needs your device to be in DFU mode.

Query- This feature queries the Cydia server about all the SHSH blobs available to a device. This feature does not require your device to be in DFU mode.

Stitch- This feature allows you to stitch SHSH blobs to a firmware/ipsw file so you can use it even if Apple is still not signing that firmware anymore. This is a very useful feature and is the only way to downgrade on iOS 5. With this you can even restore your device without updating it at the same time.

ECID- This will list all of the ECIDs for all devices used by RedSn0w. The ECID is an identifier unique to every device.

Boot args- This feature allows you to run commands while running redsn0w. Not very useful to the average user.

Boot Logo- The Boot Logo option allows you to replace the default Pineapple logo. The images must be in PNG format for this to work.

Just to let you know Cel, you have became a highlight in my iPad "How To" binder as one of my more knowledgeable, contacts. Thank you very much for just happening to hit me up and give me info. I wont blow up your posts or anything like that but use your info and put it to good use for my own iPad.

Thank you again for all your hard work and experience.

WebDevii

ps if your wondering how I happened to get the handle webdevii, I used to write databases for integration into websites using dBase III with the Alpha4 GUI. This was back in the 80's
    Last edited by webdevii; 05-24-2012 at 08:23 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to webdevii For This Useful Post:

celeron (05-24-2012)

Thanks

Awesome! Thanks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to celeron For This Useful Post:

webdevii (05-24-2012)

Just so you know, your guide is missing data on the i4S and iPad's
    (As you can use the stitch feature on the 4S)

Like A Boss

Thanks

Yes, thanks for reminding. I was going to update when that feature was released, but forgot, again thanks.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to celeron For This Useful Post:

webdevii (05-24-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well it is Thursday, any more news on the new Jail Break software for the iPad 2, Wi-Fi, Verizon 3G as my Carrier, 32 GB Unit iOS 5.1.1 Build # (9B206)

Thanks

I'm sure it'll be released tomorrow

hi so i need to preserve my baseband.. will there be new redsn0w coming which create untethered custom Firmwares? the current version creates the custom firmware but it was tethered... i never tried any tethered jailbreak before cause i usually wait until redsn0w produce latest version that has been injected with untethered jailbreak.. will it be anytime soon? Thanks1

Thanks

Not sure when but I know it will be soon. You can tether jailbreak then install a package called Rocky Racoon from cydia. That will make it untethered.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to celeron For This Useful Post:

webdevii (05-26-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The Jail Break I did is totally untethered. I did some other mods to my equipment here and can print over the 3G network and well I wont go into the many more it would be too much typing........

Dev

Hi. I tried using the redsn0w to jailbreak but it failed multiple times. I'm guessing that it created a bunch of backups or temporary files somewhere because my hard disk ran out of space.

Where can I find the directory on Windows 7 so I can delete them?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phobang View Post
    Hi. I tried using the redsn0w to jailbreak but it failed multiple times. I'm guessing that it created a bunch of backups or temporary files somewhere because my hard disk ran out of space.

Where can I find the directory on Windows 7 so I can delete them?

thanks
    i jailbreak my phone using the latest redsnow and it works flawlessly~ ... and i dont see that it creates things that used up space.. if its a temporary... the simplest and safest way is for you to download ccleaner (google it) and run the cleaner... it will clean all those unnecessary files on your pc

Thanks

Nice guide

Thanks

It sure is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast