+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS on 4.0 and 05.13.04 jailbreak

is a discussion within the

redsn0w

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Before I make any mistakes on this jailbreak, thought it would be a good idea to post here. I've been researching all night and still can figure out what to
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default 3GS on 4.0 and 05.13.04 jailbreak
    Before I make any mistakes on this jailbreak, thought it would be a good idea to post here.
    I've been researching all night and still can figure out what to do first.
    Goal is to upgrade to 4.2.1 and jailbreak and unlock.
    I may eventually want to try 5.0.1. Still trying to figure out if the 3GS can handle that IOS.

iPhone 3GS. AT&T. 4.0 and 05.13.04

My computer is on Windows 7.

Steps performed so far.

Saved SHSH with Tinyumbrella.
    Downloaded latest version of Redsn0w (0.9.10b5c).
    Downloaded 4.0 and 4.2.1. IPSW's.

Is my first step to use iTunes to upgrade (using the Shift/Restore procedure)?

Thanks, Ken

Thanks

Preserve that baseband!! Make custom IPSW with snowbreeze and use baseband preservation mode... If u r going up to 5.0.1 u need to have latest iTunes....

Is it unlocked now?...I don't unlock so not too familiar with which BB is unlockable... But I think the one u have us...google it if not sure...4.2.1 is best in 3GS I always say! 5.0.1 works but I don't like some things about it...iTunes 10.3 works best with it...I don't like 10.5 iTunes either...
    Last edited by xboxbml; 02-19-2012 at 05:06 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xboxbml For This Useful Post:

CR125Honda (02-19-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for the help.

Pretty sure I preserved the BB with Tinyumbrella. Is there another way to make a second backup just in case?

I'll do some research to figure out how to make the custom IPSW and use baseband preservation.

Would like to try 4.2.1 for a while. No hurry to go to 5.0.1.

Its not unlocked.

Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    Preserve that baseband!! Make custom IPSW with snowbreeze and use baseband preservation mode... If u r going up to 5.0.1 u need to have latest iTunes....

Is it unlocked now?...I don't unlock so not too familiar with which BB is unlockable... But I think the one u have us...google it if not sure...4.2.1 is best in 3GS I always say! 5.0.1 works but I don't like some things about it...iTunes 10.3 works best with it...I don't like 10.5 iTunes either...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Did some more digging and tried to make a custom IPSW with the current version of Redsn0w.

Did a serial number check and found I have a low number, week 28, which is supposed to be desirable.

I'm trying to upgrade to 4.2.1.
    Went through the procedure to make the custom 4.2.1 IPSW and got the message that custom IPSW's were only available for 4.3.3 or 5.0.1.

Going to stop at this point until I get some info on how to proceed. Don't want to get in a hurry and lose what I have.

iAnnie, (or someone else in the know), can you provide any advise?

Regards, Ken

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You're not going to be able to preserve the bb with TinyUmbrella on a 3GS. You'd rely on a custom firmware. You will however use TinyUmbrella to check for SHSHs. You need SHSHs to upgrade to 4.2.1. You will not need them if you want to go to 4.1, Apple still signs 4.1 for your device. My suggestion is to upgrade to 5.0.1 with a custom firmware, if you don't like it then downgrade back to 4.1. Unless you have SHSHs for 4.2.1, that's the route you take.

Open TU, click save SHSHs and tell me what you have.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

CR125Honda (02-19-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank you very much for helping iAnnie,

I downloaded TU yesterday, clicked "Save SHSH" and here is what it shows for this 3GS.

iPhone3GS 4.1 (8b117)
    iPhone3GS 5.0.1 (9A405)
    iPhone3GS 5.1b2 (9B5127c)
    iPhone3GS 5.1b3 (9B5141a)

Below is more info TU shows......

Device Model MC640LL/A - iPhone3GS
    Installed Firmware Version 4.0
    Installed Baseband Version 5.13.04-6.4_M3S2
    Serial Number 86028******

Regards, Ken

Thanks

Yeah you're going to have to make a choice now, it's either 4.1 or 5.0.1.

Thanks

I'm sorry... I thought u had said u had 4.2.1 blobs... Yeah no blobs for that version means u can't go to that version...

Did u go to the advanced tab in TU and check the request from Cydia box then save shsh again?...u might get lucky if Cydia has others for that phone...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xboxbml For This Useful Post:

CR125Honda (02-20-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks iAnnie and xbob.

Just went to the advanced tab in TU and tried to see if Cydia had any SHSH's for this phone. No Luck. Don't think this phone has ever been updated or off AT&T's network.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    My suggestion is to upgrade to 5.0.1 with a custom firmware, if you don't like it then downgrade back to 4.1.
    Guess I'm going right to 5.0.1. I've never done a custom firmware procedure.
    Could one of you kindly walk me through this or point me to a link explaining it?
    Which program do I use to make the custom firmware, which program to jailbreak, and finally which to unlock?

I do have the latest version of redsn0w (0.9.10b5c).
    I just opened it, clicked "Extras" and see the "Custom IPSW" button. I assume that's where I start?

Again, the custom IPSW is new to me. Don't want to mess this up. I'm good at following directing though. Any further assistance would be appreciated.

Regards, Ken

Thanks

Yes click on custom ipsw, select the stock 5.0.1 ipsw you must download, then create it. Then let me know when you are done.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

CR125Honda (02-21-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok iAnnie..

Ready for the next step. Ran redsn0w and made a custom IPSW.

It's named NO_BB_OLDROM_iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore

Thanks, Ken
    Last edited by CR125Honda; 02-22-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

iAnnie,

I was doing a little more research on the subject this morning and found this post on another site..
    Regarding the sentence I highlighted in red below... I looked in my "Hosts" file, and I do have the line -
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com in my hosts file.

Should I do a "preemptive strike" and delete this line ?

Seem to remember reading somewhere else that Windows 7 should be in compatibility mode when doing some of these jailbreaking/unlocking procedures. So far, I have used the normal Windows 7 mode. Should I change to compatibility mode on any of the next steps?

Thanks, Ken
    __________________________________________________ ____________

"Download iOS 5.0.1 custom ipsw files from here :

Please do not share the links directly only share the PDF file which contains the links this is to make it possible for the links to stay live for download as long as possible. Links that are directly put on a site are removed so hope you share the pdf file that contains the links only.

ACTIVATED =for official carrier users (who has SIM card from an official carrier) and
    UN-ACTIVATED who doesn’t have any SIM card from official carrier but different SIM card from a different network which don’t have any contract with apple before downloading read the instruction carefully on how to upgrade and use custom ipsw and then unlock your idevice.Before starting the jailbreak please make sure that you have read this. The benefit of custom ipsw is that when upgrading it doesn’t change the baseband which means that u can still unlock your idevice once you upgrade to iOS 5 using custom ipsw! If u have in anyway didn’t use custom ipsw and upgraded to iOS 5 then the baseband gets upgraded and you will lose your unlock forever!! So remember always use custom ipsw to upgrade to future iOS if you want or if u rely on unlock! So here are the steps you need to jailbreak and unlock your idevice (if u get errors make sure that you delete sauriks server from hosts file)

How to Upgrade:
    If you get error 3194 then Delete sauriks server from hosts file in order to get rid of errors during upgrade. Open the file C: \Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and delete the following entry : 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    IFYOU GET ERROR 16xx :
    1- use pwangetool, redsn0w, iReb , snowbreeze to enter DFU mode
    2- delete sauriks server from hosts file and then also after that CLEAR the DNS cache
    4- After downloading and reading above step and understanding it then open iTunes (use newest iTunes 10.5 version)
    5- Connect idevice to iTunes and BACKUP!! Make sure that you backup!! Because when upgrading using custom ipsw you will lose all data so backup and then go to next step.
    Last edited by CR125Honda; 02-22-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't bail on me iAnnie!
    I reeally trust your advice.

I did make the custom IPSW and still could use help. This jailbreak / unlock seems a bit different than most.

Any other experienced moderators that might want to help, I'd appreciate it also.

Regards, Ken

Thanks

Sorry I have been busy and lost track of this thread. Did you successfully create a custom fw? If so, what error did you get when trying to restore with it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

No Problem iAnnie.
    I did successfully create the custom fw.
    It's named NO_BB_OLDROM_iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore

I haven't tried to restore or gone any further yet.

Regards, Ken

Thanks

Ok well what you wanna do is set your phone into pwned dfu mode. You can go to redsn0w, select extras, then select dfu only option. Then you will open iTunes, hold shift (option on Mac) and click restore. Select the custom fw you made, and it should go fine.

Edit: oh yeah, you mentioned something about the host files. Open tiny umbrella, go to advanced options, then uncheck the box to point to cydia on exit. Close tiny umbrella, then do what I said above.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Followed the procedure and got error 1600.

Tried again and got the same message.

Thanks

You are using redsn0w for the pwned dfu? 1600 is a pwned dfu failure in most cases. It can't be regular dfu, it must be done with redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze if you've got it

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was using redsnow pwned dfu.

Redsn0w went to a screen that said it was in DFU mode.

I went to iTunes selected the correct custom IPSW and started the process. Ended with the error message.

Phone is locked (dark screen) at this time.

Trying to figure out how to turn it back on now.

Regards, Ken

Green Apple
    Thanks

Took the phone apart and separated motherboard from battery. Going to wait for an hour or so before reassembly.

Wish me luck!