Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iBooks Doesn't work after 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak

iPhone? More like MyPhone djarkiz's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iBooks Doesn't work after 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak
    Hey guys, I have an iPhone 4(GSM) running iOS 5.0.1, last night (dec 26) I used redsnow(0.9.10b) for windows 2 jailbreak and now my iBooks keeps having this error message pop up, it then gives you the choice to either sign in or don't sync, I tried both options & nothing works and it keeps Quiting on me, I tried changing everything under "General settings" > "iBooks" and still nothing, PLEASE Help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbymodmyi1325088540.504423.jpg   -imageuploadedbymodmyi1325088556.587201.jpg  
    Last edited by djarkiz; 12-28-2011 at 10:14 AM.

My iPhone4 is on 5.0.1 and jailbroken (semi-tethered) using Sn0wbreeze and semi-tether. iBooks worked fine and would sync with iTunes. But I applied the Corona 5.0.1 untether v1.0-3 and got the same thing with iBooks as you described. Appearantly the new exploit used in the untethered jailbreak breaks iBooks and when Corona is installed it overwrites the fix that Sn0wbreeze had for iBooks. I'm sure that they will find a way to fix iBooks with the untether, but in the meantime I found two options for the iPhones in our house:

1. Go back to the semi-tether jailbreak by uninstalling Corona and re-installing semi-Tether and then rebooting using iBooty. iBooks was back to normal, but the iPhone is also back to a semi-tether, which is not such a big deal.

2. Keep the Corona untether and replace iBooks with Stanza. I installed Stanza and used Calibre (in Content Server mode) on my PC to transfer my ebooks from my PC to Stanza. So far I find that Stanza is just as good a reader as iBooks. I miss the bookshelf display in iBooks but Stanza has a pretty neat coverflow style display for the books if you turn the iPhone horizontal. And I have my untethered jailbreak.

Default supposed fixes
    There are supposed fixes, most of which involve moving the iBooks application from the mobile/applications section of the device to root /Applications. You can do this with "iBooksFix2" on cydia, people say. I haven't tried yet... so many people are having this issue I am just going to wait until there is a definitive fix from the experts.

in the meantime check out these links:

iBooks fix & iFile crashes, iOS 5.0.1 Untethered? - MacRumors Forums
    Redsn0w 0.9.10b2 Fixes Some issues With iOS 5.0.1 Untethered JailBreak - iPhoneHelp

I did try applying the Corona b3 update over my PwnageTool 5.0.1 jailbreak, but that didn't fi the problem. That in theory should be the same as applying redsnow 0.9.10b2, which I did not try.

Can anyone confirm that doing that (RS 0.9.10b2) actually did fix iBooks (and didn't introduce any other problems??)
    Last edited by metaclam; 12-28-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks

I did the new redsnow 09.10b2 overwrite (jailbreak) and it still doesn't fix iBooks, my icicle worked fine

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djarkiz View Post
    I did the new redsnow 09.10b2 overwrite (jailbreak) and it still doesn't fix iBooks, my icicle worked fine
    The guys on twitter said they fixed it, another guy said just move iBooks to the applications folder to fix it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

Yeah, you are right. This redsn0w 0.910b2 breaks ibooks. The previous version of redsn0w 0.9.9b8 fixes it but tethered jailbreak.

Thanks

What repo is that iBooks fix in because I'm not finding it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grant.ben08 View Post
    What repo is that iBooks fix in because I'm not finding it
    Yeah well thats something your actually gunna have to do yourself with SSH

Thanks

Theres a fix in a crack repo... Im sure another fix or an updated redsnow with the fix will be relased soon
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

Alright well where can I find the fix, does any key have a link to it?

Thanks

I got iBooks fix from Cydia and it works fine cz it makes it a native application, so for a sec I had 2 iBooks icons, got rid of the one from AppStore kept one from Cydia and works beautifully

there are several iBooks fixes. Which did you use, and on which jailbreak? But anyway, IMO this is not a good solution. iBooks is an app store app for a reason. it gets updated periodically. If you do this you obviously cannot update it through iTunes. There should be a better way that lets you retain your existing app store install.

Quote Originally Posted by corgi1 View Post
    My iPhone4 is on 5.0.1 and jailbroken (semi-tethered) using Sn0wbreeze and semi-tether. iBooks worked fine and would sync with iTunes. But I applied the Corona 5.0.1 untether v1.0-3 and got the same thing with iBooks as you described. Appearantly the new exploit used in the untethered jailbreak breaks iBooks and when Corona is installed it overwrites the fix that Sn0wbreeze had for iBooks. I'm sure that they will find a way to fix iBooks with the untether, but in the meantime I found two options for the iPhones in our house:

1. Go back to the semi-tether jailbreak by uninstalling Corona and re-installing semi-Tether and then rebooting using iBooty. iBooks was back to normal, but the iPhone is also back to a semi-tether, which is not such a big deal.

2. Keep the Corona untether and replace iBooks with Stanza. I installed Stanza and used Calibre (in Content Server mode) on my PC to transfer my ebooks from my PC to Stanza. So far I find that Stanza is just as good a reader as iBooks. I miss the bookshelf display in iBooks but Stanza has a pretty neat coverflow style display for the books if you turn the iPhone horizontal. And I have my untethered jailbreak.
    You do not need the SemiTether package for a semi tethered jailbreak..............The new Mobile Substrate semi tethers it on it's own........................The whole point of the SemiTether package is to protect Notification Center widgets (which I found it does not), and to protect extensions from breaking that allow you to boot into a none-jailbroken state, unlike before with the Mobile Substrate on iOS 4.

If you keep the original iBooks (in a folder, or hide the app via SBSettings or Springtomize 2), then you can still sync whatever you want with iTunes. But if you keep the fixed iBooks and delete the original, then you will not be able to sync with iTunes. FYI

Just google "iBooksFix2" and you'll find the repo................Better than waiting for someone to reply.lol
    Last edited by ZĄG; 12-29-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks

Your right dude, I had to redownload iBooks from AppStore that didn't work in order to get cydia's iBook app to work

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

hmm i guess this is for some people because my ibooks is working fine on my IPT4 with the jailbreak on 5.0.1

my iBooks still crashes after I tried to rejailbreak with redsn0w 10b3 - iBooks Fix 2 - uninstall iBooks reinstall iBooks. anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gfredd View Post
    my iBooks still crashes after I tried to rejailbreak with redsn0w 10b3 - iBooks Fix 2 - uninstall iBooks reinstall iBooks. anybody have any other suggestions?
    Uninstall, reboot then reinstall??? I'm on iPhone4S so it's a guess

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I have an interesting issue here: I performed the untethered JB on my iPhone 4 with absolutely no issues whatsoever, installed iBooksFix2 from Cydia, and didn't have any issues with iBooks running at all. However, when I go into settings to make sure that my books and settings are being synched, there's nothing under the iBooks settings, nothing at all.

Other than that issue, everything is just perfect. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PDADoctor View Post
    I have an interesting issue here: I performed the untethered JB on my iPhone 4 with absolutely no issues whatsoever, installed iBooksFix2 from Cydia, and didn't have any issues with iBooks running at all. However, when I go into settings to make sure that my books and settings are being synched, there's nothing under the iBooks settings, nothing at all.

Other than that issue, everything is just perfect. Anyone else seen this?
    I also have iPhone 4(GSM) untethered 5.0.1 and installed ibooksix2 from Cydia, when I go to Settings > iBooks, it shows full justification, sync collection, all of that jazz, I recommend uninstalling and deleting iBooks app"s" and then get iBooks from AppStore and Cydia again, maybe that'll work

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I hadn't had a chance to post before now, but uninstalling and reinstalling iBooks did the trick for me, all is well, and I didn't have to install iBooksFix2 because the updated Mobile Substrate in Cydia also fixes iBooks.

It's all good now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast