+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: redn0w version used to jailbreak?

is a discussion within the

redsn0w

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I am so new to iphone, so pls comment if you want to help. I have a locked/un-jailbroken iphone 3g with baseband (5.13.04) and firmware/version (4.0.2). My questions are: what
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default redn0w version used to jailbreak?
    I am so new to iphone, so pls comment if you want to help. I have a locked/un-jailbroken iphone 3g with baseband (5.13.04) and firmware/version (4.0.2). My questions are: what version of redsn0w do I need to use to jailbreak it? Also, is redsn0w best run with Windows 7 or XP? If you can point me to a link that has step-by-step instructions I would greatly appreciate. On a side note, is redsn0w the most stable software used to jailbreak for this particular iphone I have? Thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Jailbreak & Unlock iOS 4.0.2 on iPhone 3G

Redsn0w has been very reliable for me. Ive seen it run good on XP and Win7
    Last edited by iPittsburgh; 03-06-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    Jailbreak & Unlock iOS 4.0.2 on iPhone 3G

Redsn0w has been very reliable for me. Ive seen it rub good on XP and Win7
    Thanks for your quick reply! I have a question though. In Step 3 where it says "Update your iPhone to iOS 4.0.2 via iTunes." Since my phone is already running iOS 4.0.2, do I still need to follow this step? Also, why can't I just download iOS 4.0.2 firmware and point redsn0w to this instead of download the iOS 4 as instructed?

Thanks

You do not need to update to 4.0.2 since youre already at 4.0.2.

Because redsn0w sometimes requires you to point at different firmware than what you may be running, sorry but I'm not aware of the technical reason. For example, redsn0w 0.9.4 jailbreaks 3.1.3 but you have to point redsn0w at 3.1.2

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've done some researching and found that there are various versions of redsn0w 0.9.5b5. For example there are 0.9.5b5-3, ...-4, ...-5. Question is: which version should I use for my firmware 4.0.2? Also, should I update to the latest firmware, and what is it? Thanks!
    Last edited by bimmernator; 03-04-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks

Use redsn0w 0.9.5b5 there is a download of it in the guide I posted earlier. Do no update to 4.2.1 it won't run any better. Here is a step by step guide to jailbreak and unlock your iphone 3G on 4.0.2 Jailbreak & Unlock iOS 4.0.2 on iPhone 3G

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really appreciate your help so far! But I do have another question, when jailbreaking with redsn0w, should I select "Enable multitasking and homescreen wallpaper?" I read that if these options are enabled, the phone would be very slow after jailbroken. Is this true? And if I deselect these options, how would it affect the functionality of the iphone overall? Thanks!

Thanks

Since it's a 3G I wouldn't install multitasking. It will slow it to a crawl. Backgrounder from cydia is your best bet.

Thanks

I haven't used the "enable multitasking" option because it will make your phone painfully slow. If you deselect these options, it will not affect functionality of the phone.

^ yup, you can use backgrounder if you want multitasking, but IMO no multitasking for iOS has gotten it right to the point where I would use it.
    Last edited by iPittsburgh; 03-05-2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you all for helping out! I've successfully jailbroken and unlocked my phone

Thanks

Cool.