Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: redsn0w doesn't recognize ispw?

Default redsn0w doesn't recognize ispw?
    i recently jailbroke my partner's spare phone and since we finally got it working, we are going to jailbreak her main phone. (she swears she can't hear well on the spare. its only around for emergencies). anyhow, i had a few bumps in the road the first time, but since it was the spare phone, i wasn't too worried. however, i would rather be safe than sorry with the phone she actually uses every day.

so, when i browsed for the current firmware, redsn0w said it is unable to recognize it. i am guessing i can just restore in itunes to 4.2.1 and then jailbreak with redsn0w, but i want to make sure since i didn't get that error when i did the spare phone.

the one i am doing now is a 3g, has ios 3.1.3 and baseband 5.12.1.

suggestions?

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Stay on 3.1.3, I've never had a 3G but I've heard that's the best firmware for that. To jb, simplest ever. In safari, go to jailbreakme.com. Easy as that

i'm sorry, maybe i didn't make myself clear. the phone i am talking about is already jailbroken and unlocked. the reason for jailbreaking now is to upgrade the software.

also, the phone is acting weird. it will call people at random, even with the passcode lock on it, it is VERY slow. some days it has no service until you remove and replace the sim card. we need better performance than that.
    Last edited by piedrafina; 03-02-2011 at 01:29 PM.

use redsnow 0.9.6b4 and run in windows xp service pack 2 compatibility

i'm confused. how do i do that? i have windows xp.

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

if you want to unlock it, use pwnage tool to upgrade your firmware but leave the baseband (the part the gets unlocked). pwnage tool is only for macs though. it all depends what shsh you've got..open cydia and tell what it says up the top in green

Then just run it normally compatibility mode only applies to windows 7

And make sure you restore and upgrade to 4.2.1 ofw through iTunes first and then do the redsnow jailbreak.
    Last edited by kingnev69; 03-03-2011 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ok, now that i have fixed her main phone, i'm back to playing with the spare and using it too. i used a different version of redsn0w and i can't add the background wallpaper or multitasking, so i tried to restore with custom firmware, but seem unable to.

i created custom firmware with ultrasn0w. it has 3 options, so i created one of each to see what the differences were. the only one that i am able to use to restore is the "simple" mode. when i tried to run redsn0w after that, it gave me an error.

just when i thought i had it all figured out, i'm confused again.

help?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

This main phone, is it on 4.2.1? If so, which tool did you use to make the custom fw? You should be able to enable those features when making the custom firmware. They are not available by default on an iPhone 3G.

As i.Annie stated, yes. This would be an option in ultrasn0w, NOT in redsn0w if you used ultrasn0w to create the custom IPSW.
    I lost my signature.
    Oh, but if I was helpful at all, please click the "Thanks" Button below!!!

Thanks

Ultrasn0w is for unlocking though?

Looks like my fingers were going too fast for my brain. I meant to say that I created the custom firmware with sn0wbreeze. The basic and simple options didn't let you choose any options but the expert one does. I did choose them when creating the firmware but I can't use it to restore. I get an error in iTunes when I try to use either the basic or expert ones. The only one that works is the "simple" one.

As for the main phone yes it is on 4.2.1 but I didn't use custom firmware for that one. I restored in iTunes and jailbroke with redsn0w.

Aside from the multi tasking (which I have on my itouch and LOVE), the reason I am trying to restore I'd because of the speed. The back up phone (which I am using right now) seems sluggish after jailbreaking. Wifey's phone is a little faster so I thought maybe if I could restore to a firmware that is close to the official one in that it has very little extras and then jailbreak with redsn0w then maybe I could get a bit of speed back.

I jailbroke a friend's 3GS tonight with greenp0ison and OMG what a difference! His phone goes at warp speed compared to mine!

Anyone?
    Last edited by piedrafina; 03-09-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Sorry, I'd love to respond with detail but I'm busy, but I will come back when I'm not. If someone else gets to ya first tho, great

Well I tried again still no luck. Getting really frustrated. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ok sorry remind me, the phone you're working on is an iPhone 3G on 4.2.1 right? Now which firmware are you trying to take it down to?

Dont install multitasking on a 3G!!! You Will not be able to use it properly, it gets SO ******* GOD DAMN SLOW, 10 seconds to enter SMS, 5 - 15 seconds for the slide to unlock actually unlock, if i were you, create custom fw with sn0wbreeze v2.2 and click EXPERT MODE. Here you Can choose the things you want. Backgrounds etc. (if you want multitasking theres a tweak in cydia for that which is faster) after creating enter pwned dfu with redsn0w (make sure its a Stock 4.2.1 you give redsn0w not the custom one) enter pwned dfu ONLY with redsn0w. Then shift+restore in iTunes and choose the custom one(sn0wbreeze_x.x.x...ipsw) you should be able ro restore without errors. If you encounter an error kick out of recovery with TinyUmbrella and save your blobs too.

Yeah 3G on 4.2.1. I don't really wanna downgrade the firmware, I just want multi tasking but restoring to custom firmware isn't working unless I use the "simple" one i created in snowbreeze. And when I try to run redsniw after that I get and error.

Hey use expert mode. But i tell you, iPod touch 3G has a better processor thats why it has multitasking. Dó yourself a favour and just install a tweak in cydia instead. You are so much going to regret it.

Thanks

Oh I see. Honestly you shouldn't be running multitasking on an iPhone 3G, it will slow down very much. But if you're insistent then I would still recommend to use Redsn0w and a clean stock firmware just because Sn0wbreeze doesn't always play well with iPhone 3G.

I'd say go ahead and do a standard shift+restore to a stock 4.2.1 then exit recovery when receiving error 1015 with tinyumbrella.

Then proceed to use Redsn0w 0.9.6rc8.

Then you should be done

Ya i Think the cydia tweak is called backgrounder, better and faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast